CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Ryoken's 89 Crew Cab Tubebed build... aka Mutt....

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
ryoken submitted a new Build:

Ryoken's 89 Crew Cab Tubebed build... aka Mutt....

ok, couple weeks left here.. the rig should get picked up monday, maybe to me by next weekend or so... but I need a place to start rattling out plans, parts, etc, so they don't get forgot...

Here's how Mutt is sitting out on the west coast at the moment awaiting transport......

View attachment 229938

5cbb451f.jpg

5287bf94.jpg

couple new things waiting for her...

5ed6c222.jpg

slightly different approach than previously mentioned... I am going to be doing a quickie, easily removed temp wood flatbed.... super simple, got this flat black stuff at work I'm gonna douche it real quick... weekend project out of the gate...

i came to the conclusion , that with material costs more than likely in the 2 to 3 grand range with the fuel tank and probably a good 200+ hrs initially for fabbing, it may be aug before the tube bed and fuel tank setup in back is able to be "run"

might as well make the small effort to have the truck be reasonable looking for the po-po, my inspection guy, etc till the tube bed can be final installed... the wood bed will be easily removed or installed in 10 minutes, 4 bolt's... this way I can pull it off on a friday when i come home.. working on the bed, rear frame and suspension, etc, than slap the wood bed back on monday morn or something...

I'm definitely sandblasting from the cab backwall to the rear early on.. tarp and a sheet a ply to protect the cab... more than likely that'll be the first weekend project gig.. clean primed slate to start rear suspension and the bed from...

gonna need a couple tires for inspection... that'll be the first purchase when it gets here... actually i'm having the bed lumber dumped off at work next week... i should be able to bang out the structure and slathering it with paint in a day... mount the next day... first real fab will be the rear x-member and tube bed mounts....

once all the tube bed materials are paid for, I can give Kert a jingle and start investing in the hangars and custom rims... I've already determined that there are a few certain things the K5 will have to temp donate till i can repurchase later.. some of the x-over stuff, SRW hubs, a few other lift components...

that needs to be done if I'm gonna fasttrack Mutt here to toughication.... ;)

as some may remember the...

Read more about this build here...

page-4 Virgin delivery!
page-8 Wood flat bed (through post 240)
page-14 Bravada temp filler neck
page-16 Alternator upgrade from 12SI - including link to alternator upgrade parts
page-21 fresher doors

page-24 New ignition parts, also pg 24 THE hood ornament discussion
page-29 Start of BBC upgrade talks
page-42 Flatbed planning
page-44 How to change brake fluid, new lift parts, start of sheet metal redo
page-49 Ryoken Red

page-65 more lifty parts
page-66 start of lift and cross over
page-77 the Mallard has landed
page-89 New grille
page-108 Back half paint

page-118 tube stuff drawings and planning for tube bed
page-123 Tube!
page-136 midpoint of tubing work for the bed
page-137 new wheels, hitch plate, parts n stuff
page-139 14BFF w/ discs from Kert

page-142 37 inch tire delivery
page-172 Spare tire mount finished
page-181 final revision on tail lights
page-187 Hitch tie ins, start of Fab table planning
page-195 Start of alum framing supports

page-199 Fuel fill tube for new tank/planning
page-204 Completed tube bed with paint, on chassis end of page
page-213 Tail lights and drivers rear corner panel in
page-216 How to radius bend flat aluminum panel
page-225 First drawer in!

page-236 New welder, new door for side tool box
page-242 Kennel Talk, start of fuel tank doghouse cover build on pg 244
page-250 Finished tank doghouse (transition to driver’s side lower box, more kennel plans)
page-268 Fang cutting and front bumper mockery
page-273 Tube bed steps

page-289 Puppy sighting!
page-296 Front bumper uprights (finished fab on pg 300)
page-305 Malakai
page-316 Light bar shopping
page-327 Dizzle donor, box/drawer redo

page-335 finished drawers
page-340 Down the dizzle rabbit hole
page-344 rear wheel wells panels (excellent view of panel mounting)
page-350 The Dirty Dodge comes home
page-356 Flag pole holders

page-361 Start of battery tray
page-370 Dizzle paint/clean prep
page-392 Bed door seals, tool drawer lighting, battery drawer wiring
page-400 Hose/cabling tie down link
page-405 Build your own wiring harness, wire chase/Delrin, continuance of battery cabling

page-408 Installed pull out tray/videos. Then inverter, rear winch & wiring
page-412 Switches in the ashtray, start of Dash reconfiguration
page-416 Death Proof duck with Death Proof eyes

Last edited by a moderator:

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Check your rules for a flatbed truck Paul. In my state you can get away with pretty much nothing if its a flatbed truck.

When sketching out your flatbed I would make it build able in steps.

It can add up super fast as I am sure you have many plans for cool little things in it.

So your going to kind of do what Kert has done to his truck then?

I still think you should pop the coin for a link and bag setup in the rear be super easy to mock up, then you could probably finish the whole thing up in a long weekend.

I just know how rough these things ride unloaded, put a thousand lbs in the back and they ride awesome

Also you need naked trucker ladies for your mudflaps !!!!!!

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
first mechanical work will be swapping in my 56's... without the lift.. that'll happen pretty quick... i'll prolly blast, than the next time i'll build the beginning of the tube bed... change springs out... run it around till fall than go for the actual lift.. i have most of what i need.. but i still need to get another 2wd box, kert's hangar's if i do go spring, perchs, custom rims, tires, etc... so that'll be a big, final push before i try to just drive it around as a DD... get back to the K5...

i am reconsidering not running leaves.. i'm undecided.. i'd like to REALLY shorten up the frame behind the axle, and obviously shackle flip's and such hinder this...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
oh, and no doubt on bed coin.. thats just tube, alum plate and the fuel tank... that's not including tool storage i've mentioned, fifth wheel, air tank, maybe a light bar, yada, yada...

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So what are the plans for the flatbed.

I could go nuts with something :D

I would keep the flatbed at least 8 feet long, it just makes it more useable.

thats the whole purpose of a flatbed is to be useable. I think that should be the first thought. Although from what I have seen on your builds everything has a purpose. Might be 10 hours of work for a very small purpose:whistle: but nonetheless a purpose.

With my dually my overall goals with it are different than I have ever had, ride comfort is first and foremost, ability to tow anything I want is second, everything else takes a huge backseat.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
MUTT...as in dog hauler?:pimp:

This will be another epic Ryoken thread I'm sure...I like it that your keeping this truck separate from the K5 Paul...it will be much easier to research your work in separate threads:waytogo:.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
yeah, this is not that flatbed... it's gonna be as short as possible... i'd actually like to move the axle forward about 2"s...

very service truckish.. well, baja 1000 service truckish maybe... :haha:

with a prerunner styling, fifth wheel, more than likely alum bolt in panels, but still possibly steel...

spare tire mounted on an angle in front of the fifth wheel above the fuel tank... the prerunner angle tubes are somewhat reminiscent of the K5's...

000_0007_5.jpg

yes, i can still haul some plywood, a fridge, etc, when need be, but not nearly as easy as a pickup... ratchet straps suggested! :haha:

it'll have some working area toward the back... air supply back there, maybe a removable vise...

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I just couldn't see it turning into a M151...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
never knew that thing existed.. yeah, it's all about the pooch... KAV - kennel assault vehicle

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stoked to see the build thread. Its a cool rig, got to see it in person, glad you grabbed it!

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok, couple weeks left here.. the rig should get picked up monday, maybe to me by next weekend or so... but I need a place to start rattling out plans, parts, etc, so they don't get forgot...

Here's how Mutt is sitting out on the west coast at the moment awaiting transport......

a1abe03b.jpg

Whats it cost to ship a truck with a house on the back across the country? :haha:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
the bed that came off it, was literally a house.... :whistle: :haha:

actual shipping is $1793... i was happy with that...

technically, I'm supposed to be driving it on may 1.. we'll see what happens.. i may be biking to work for a week... :popcorn:

Z71paramedic

Wait....What???
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

technically, I'm supposed to be driving it on may 1.. we'll see what happens.. i may be biking to work for a week... :popcorn:

If it makes you feel any better it's gonna cost me $2895 to get mine back to Ohio for my dad to watch it for 2-3 years - in which time I don't get to drive it:doah:

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

Saw it in all its glory, with the bed and liftgate.

That photo made me do a doubletake though....

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
the cab lines on the CC's rock.... :woot: so much cooler looking than a single cab...

fock the dodge, the square body looks so much better... hey, I could do a cummins/NV4500 swap 5yrs down the road or something...

Top Bottom