CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

SAS'ing my 02 Duramax - Garage Build

grizzlyoffroad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
grizzlyoffroad submitted a new Build:

SAS'ing my 02 Duramax - Garage Build

OK, here it goes! I'm finally tired of broken drive lines, CV joints, ball joints and all the extra crap hanging off the bottom of my truck. I came across a guy that was going to SAS his Duramax, but never got started with the project. I bought the parts cheap, along with a 1979 Dana 60, high steer kit, Fox shocks, diff covers, new gears and all! I'm horrible about keeping up on these forum builds, but I'll try to give you guys some progress now and then and let you know if I find any tricks, pitfalls, or triumphs! I broke my np263xhd transfer case last time I threw the front drive shaft, so I am also looking for a 271/273 case that will allow me to run a larger 1350 shaft along side my allison. Currently, you can only fit a 1310 DL in the tight space. If anyone has leads on other cases, let me know. I greatly appreciate any advice, but please don't just come on here to talk ****. I'd like to keep this positive, and instructive. Thanks guys!

P1040027.jpg

SASParts.jpg

SASParts2.jpg

View attachment 231121

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Truck looks awesome. Love the "older" HD grill/hood.

Who's solid swap kit?

Clearly a small detail, but the newer style tow mirrors would look awesome. They are under $300 on ebay now....

grizzlyoffroad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Truck looks awesome. Love the "older" HD grill/hood.

Who's solid swap kit?

Clearly a small detail, but the newer style tow mirrors would look awesome. They are under $300 on ebay now....

Thanks, I love the old 01 and 02 trucks too...they remind me of my 68-72 chevys....my all time favorite style.

It's the Offroad Direct kit, with some Offroad Design mixed in here and there with the rear shackle flip and cross over steering.

I agree...I like the small tow mirrors too. Maybe I'll do that and complete the process of phasing out all the chrome!

supermotard750

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
truck looks good i think with the right spring rate the truck will ride just as good and work a ton better for you i'm really looking forward to seeing this, keep us updated.

Subscribed

grizzlyoffroad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Finally got to work on the tear down for about 6 hours today. Got the entire IFS stripped off the truck and started cutting, torching and grinding all the frivolous brackets off. What an amazing feeling to get all the crap off my truck....what a huge pile of over complicated components! Here are some pics of the progress. Tomorrow will be finishing up the bracket cutting and plating the frame with clean smooth flat plate!

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

grizzlyoffroad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Son of a bastard! Got ahead of my self late last night and torched all my brackets off the frame....THEN realized that these new shock hoops use the stock shock tower and front upper A-arm bracket. Oh well....will have to do some welding, fab and touch up today to make it right. At least I only did one side before someone from another forum warned me of the possible issue!

photo-7.jpg

grizzlyoffroad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Well, it all worked out anyway....the ORD shock hoops did not fit like I would have wanted bolted to the stock A-arm bracket. So, I cut them off both sides and bilt new ones, along with welding the shock bucket back on the passenger side. It was a long day of little noticeable progress. Basically got both sides cut and ground down and got the plating tacked in to cover that old hole ridden frame. Later tonight I will mock up the shock hoops, make sure all fits well and finish welding the frame plating on. Maybe tomorrow I will get the spring mounts on and start working on the Dana 60.

Mocking up the shock hoops so they fit flush on the shock buckets.
photo-8.jpg

My little helper, getting the old lift ready to powder coat and sell.
photo-9.jpg

The frame plating tacked into place
photo-10.jpg

grizzlyoffroad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Got the frame plating welded up, the new custom front hoop mounts built and the shock hoops mocked up. It looks like everything is going to fit just fine now! I'll pound out a couple more steps tomorrow hopefully.

photo-11.jpg

photo-12.jpg

BoondocK5

Chevrolet Bone Collector
Premium Member
Author
Reaction score
I love it! I've always wanted to do that to a newer truck.
Hows the search for a new transfer case coming?

grizzlyoffroad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I love it! I've always wanted to do that to a newer truck.
Hows the search for a new transfer case coming?

Thanks! Well, Vernon at Transfercase Express in Cali said he had just what I needed....a 272 with fixed output shafts and a matching Alison input shaft, but then hasn't gotten back to me with cost or shipping to AK. I'll have to give them a call today and confirm the numbers.

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Looks good so far, I would like to do a sfa on mine one day.
So I ,m looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you.

grizzlyoffroad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Another slow day of progress....got the passenger side of the frame plated and welded up with new custom hoop mounts. Mocked up the shock hoops, adjusted bolt hole placement and temporary bolted them on. They turned out good....daddy like.

Next was shop clean up and getting the spring hangers on. Of course nothing is easy...and my Road Armor bumper brackets created a conflict with the front hangers. I cut an ear off the hangers, welded in some 1/2" stock and moved the ear out a 1/4" so it would bolt up "outside" of my Roar Armor bracketry.

After the front hangers were temporary bolted up, I moved to the rear. This is where everything came to a grinding halt. It seems that I got two right rear hangers from ORD instead of a right and a left. I will send them pics and email them asking for the correct hanger. Oh well, I have to go to work for 2 weeks tomorrow, so I have time to wait on shipping.

Truck stuffed in little shop with front nearing done.
photo-13.jpg

Passenger side shock hoop and plating done
photo-14.jpg

Cutting up perfectly good parts to make it work with Road Armor
photo-15.jpg

photo-16.jpg

Here's the front hangers mocked up. Who thinks I should put some 1.75" tubing between these for added support? I don't see how it could hurt with this 10k pound pickup!
photo-17.jpg

Dope...is it just me, or did I get two rights?!
photo-18.jpg

texas4x4rebel

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I looked on offroad directs website and from the pics of the kit you got two right brackets. Also I would throw a tube in there from one bracket to the other looks like there half ton kit comes that way.

Cruz89K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I looked on offroad directs website and from the pics of the kit you got two right brackets. Also I would throw a tube in there from one bracket to the other looks like there half ton kit comes that way.

I think the half tons lack the crossmember between the frame rails that the 3/4 ton trucks have. Thats why they tie the mounts together on the half ton kits. You can see his round crossmember behind the winch.

Top Bottom