CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Sliding Window Rebuild

Times Welding

Registered Member
Reaction score
Well, I am able to post pictures now. Here are some detailed pics of the windows. I think the components that I was able to find worked pretty well. By the way, I went to the local car wash last night, and I blasted the windows from all angles with their high pressure hose... just trying to get them to leak. There was not a drop of water inside!

Windows Disassembled.jpg

Windows Ready to Install.jpg

Installed 2.jpg

Installed 4.jpg

Installed 5.jpg

85 Jimmy

Sheepdog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm about to paint my top, and while I'm at it, replace the weather stripping and all the window components that have worn out over the years.

Can you put a list together in one post with the place of purchase, part number, and length needed for everything you used to refurb the windows? Also, is that new glass? The front sliders on both sides of my top are cracked, it looks like the tint is what's holding it all together. So I'd like to replace those also.

Thanks

Times Welding

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm about to paint my top, and while I'm at it, replace the weather stripping and all the window components that have worn out over the years.

Can you put a list together in one post with the place of purchase, part number, and length needed for everything you used to refurb the windows? Also, is that new glass? The front sliders on both sides of my top are cracked, it looks like the tint is what's holding it all together. So I'd like to replace those also.

Thanks

It'll take me a little time, but I can put that shopping list together for you. The only glass that was replaced was the left rear. It was scratched too deeply to polish. The other pieces are original that I had polished.

jeff in co

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It'll take me a little time, but I can put that shopping list together for you. The only glass that was replaced was the left rear. It was scratched too deeply to polish. The other pieces are original that I had polished.

What kind of cost to polish? Where did you go?

Times Welding

Registered Member
Reaction score

Thanks

85 Jimmy, here is the shopping list of the parts needed for the side window rebuild:

#34 on the diagram, flocked channel: SoffSeal part number E634. It is NOT an exact match, but it works and looks fine. They come in 8 foot sections, so you need 3 of them to complete 2 window assemblies. $18.61 each. Be sure to cut drain holes in the channel and make absolutely sure that they line up with the holes in the lower aluminum frame or you WILL have water issues. Also, you must cut "slots" in the channel to allow it to make the sharp bends, just like the factory did. Contact SoffSeal at 800-426-0902.
http://www.soffseal.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=E634

#36 on the diagram, filler: Atwood part number 132014470. It is PERFECT match. It sells for $0.10/inch ($1.20/foot). You only need about 8 feet, but they have a $20 minimum order. Contact Sue Phillips at Atwood Mobile Products at 574-266-4829.
http://www.parkin-acc.com/page51.html

#'s 44 &47 on the diagram, latch assembly: McMaster-Carr part number 1891A49 is the exact match Southco brand latch. You get 10 latches and 10 strikers for $14.54. That's enough for 5 Blazers. Contact McMaster-Carr at (330) 342-6100.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/2928/=ugn4bu

#38 on the diagram, wiper: This item can be found at any residential glass shop or probably at any home improvement center. It comes in bulk, on a roll. I paid $0.50/foot for mine. Just take your old with you to match up to the proper one.

I borrowed the image from "Irish1941". Irish, I hope you don't mind.
Good luck on your windows! It's well worth the time and $.

8852R_1652copy_zpsdfe0b878.jpg

85 Jimmy

Sheepdog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm sure this information will be useful for more then just me over time!

Irish1941

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
All good! :thumb:
Glad you got it done. Looks great!
The flock lined channel I was after is a good match but they want min 1000' order.

k5balzer

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Latch bases

Sorry for the late add question from a newbie, but does anyone have advice on where to find the metal "c" shaped base that the plastic latch sits on? One of my windows is missing it, I have the new latches, but need the spacer...

wheels87k5

24 Karat
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
For future reference, I was going through some old magazines/catalogs and came across this. No idea of fit or quality.

https://www.metrommp.com/?f=detail&...&VehicleYear=1987&Make=CHEVROLET&Model=BLAZER

I will post about the fit and quality. I just bought that set and it will be here tomorrow.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a set of sliders. The felts that the glass slide in was very dry and hard as an old dog biscuit. The other pieces are in good shape so not going to replace those.

wheels87k5

24 Karat
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sorry for the late add question from a newbie, but does anyone have advice on where to find the metal "c" shaped base that the plastic latch sits on? One of my windows is missing it, I have the new latches, but need the spacer...

Not sure if it's available as a replacement part but it probably wouldn't be too hard to make if it was a last resort.

wheels87k5

24 Karat
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Waiting for paint to dry. I will start assembling one side tomorrow after work and I'll post pics and opinions in my build thread.

wheels87k5

24 Karat
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

wheels87k5

24 Karat
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
85 Jimmy, here is the shopping list of the parts needed for the side window rebuild:

#34 on the diagram, flocked channel: SoffSeal part number E634. It is NOT an exact match, but it works and looks fine. They come in 8 foot sections, so you need 3 of them to complete 2 window assemblies. $18.61 each. Be sure to cut drain holes in the channel and make absolutely sure that they line up with the holes in the lower aluminum frame or you WILL have water issues. Also, you must cut "slots" in the channel to allow it to make the sharp bends, just like the factory did. Contact SoffSeal at 800-426-0902.
http://www.soffseal.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=E634

#36 on the diagram, filler: Atwood part number 132014470. It is PERFECT match. It sells for $0.10/inch ($1.20/foot). You only need about 8 feet, but they have a $20 minimum order. Contact Sue Phillips at Atwood Mobile Products at 574-266-4829.
http://www.parkin-acc.com/page51.html

#'s 44 &47 on the diagram, latch assembly: McMaster-Carr part number 1891A49 is the exact match Southco brand latch. You get 10 latches and 10 strikers for $14.54. That's enough for 5 Blazers. Contact McMaster-Carr at (330) 342-6100.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/2928/=ugn4bu

#38 on the diagram, wiper: This item can be found at any residential glass shop or probably at any home improvement center. It comes in bulk, on a roll. I paid $0.50/foot for mine. Just take your old with you to match up to the proper one.

I borrowed the image from "Irish1941". Irish, I hope you don't mind.
Good luck on your windows! It's well worth the time and $.

#36 is still $1.20 a foot, but minimum is now $25.00 and shipping is $12.95. Atwood calls it "plug".

I ordered 30 feet and should be here next Friday. The pieces on my windows measure 27.5" and if you did the whole section it would be about 60" or 5' long for one side.

Nice job on those windows, Times Welding.

rampage

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Just to clarify.....I bought this set thinking it was for the sliding windows.

It is for the front doors.....and since mine are toast, I hope these will make good replacements.

Well that sucks. That's not the description that was given in the catalog.

BOB WULFF

Registered Member
Reaction score
Are there any new ideas for this replacement problem?. I pulled the old flocked channel out in pieces and the new LMC part 36-6196 the show as replacing the channel is not even close to what should be sold for the replacement. LMC should not be selling this.

BOB WULFF

Registered Member
Reaction score
IF LOOKING FOR THE FLOCKED CHANNEL FOR THE SLIDING SHELL WINDOWS THIS WORKED FOR MY 84 JIMMY......the lmc channel will never work.
Atwood 122-016543 Pierced Channel Run for Window
ON AMAZON FULFILLED BY Winnebago USED DOOR RUBBER GLUE FROM 3M TO KEEP IN PLACE.

IMG_20180412_194816.jpg

Top Bottom