Slowly but surely, the 1988 V20 Sub

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup getting muddy here already... till the next cold snap.
It’s gonna be a muddy mess here for the next two weeks or so, makes wearing the dogs out kinda difficult!

Looks like much fun. And that's a calendar-worthy shot, too. :thumb:

As much as I want in the calendar im not sure buried in the snow is the best one lol

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, it definitely is... :whistle:

But feel free to keep trying if you don't like that one.

More pictures = more better.

I can’t help but take burb pictures so that definitely won’t be an issue! I’ll definitely get some up north this year at some point too :whistle:

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got motivated yesterday since the weather decided to cooperate and made things happen finally! Got a bracket made and the air compressor is installed. I did not go with a tank on this setup we’ll see how it does. It is a 100% duty cycle compressor so it should hold up just fine. Wont air up tires the fastest but it beats sitting in the middle of nowhere or not being able to air down at all.

CCBE8D64-FDA6-4648-8DF1-FA2128151E77.jpeg

Didn’t even have to drill any fresh holes, just used existing holes from the recovery bottle which turned out really well.

On an unrelated not a Friend wanted to hide from his fiancé and her friends last night and told me to bring my old DT360 over and work on it. So after working all day on the burb we worked all evening on the bike. 74 DT360’s are a one year bike with a one year CDI ignition that never really did run right and none of the 6v lighting was any good.

238FF63A-DA08-483B-8874-738F9A8D07FF.jpeg

This poor bike has had a rough life but it is a ton of fun. Paid $50 for it and enough parts to put together another. Then proceeded to stick $540 worth of aftermarket 12V conversion and new ignition components in it last night. The stuff was gathering dust in the closet for two years. Wish I had done it sooner!

Of course having lights that work meant a maiden voyage after dark for both the 360 and his ‘68 DT250 he just got put together.
6A32B07A-6753-4125-82D6-470B09DF6212.jpeg

Between the burb and the old bikes it was a hell of a good Saturday

BadDog

SOL
Staff member
Super Moderator
Author
Reaction score
Very cool. I had a Yamaha 360 (all I remember) back around 1980. In my memory, it looked about like a yellow version of that, including the seat and tank condition. You say that one "never ran right", so while mine looked like a yellow version of that, I don't think that's it. I beat that thing mercilessly including a number of pretty hard crashes and sliders learning to shift on the back wheel. It took all that and wanted more (other than replacing broken/bent bits), never failing me with nothing more than bare minimum maintenance. Was a blast to ride, but haven't thought about that bike in years. Good luck on your project(s).

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I had a Yamaha 360 (all I remember) back around 1980. In my memory, it looked about like a yellow version of that, including the seat and tank condition. You say that one "never ran right", so while mine looked like a yellow version of that, I don't think that's it. I beat that thing mercilessly including a number of pretty hard crashes and sliders learning to shift on the back wheel. It took all that and wanted more (other than replacing broken/bent bits), never failing me with nothing more than bare minimum maintenance. Was a blast to ride, but haven't thought about that bike in years. Good luck on your project(s).

thank you! This one was my first bike and has been quite a bit of fun. I’m I the process of putting it back in good shape with as many nice factory parts as I can get my hands on.

BadDog

SOL
Staff member
Super Moderator
Author
Reaction score
I can believe that, great that you still have it. I lost all my old toys over the years. I would love to see it when you get it done (and in process!)

If I recall correctly, it was my 4th bike at around 14-15. I started with a Z50 when I was 6, replaced that with a Honda 125 I bought in boxes (kid older than me took it apart for unknown reasons and could get it back together) at a yard sale for $25 I earned cutting grass, traded that for a nice Kawa 125 with a burnt piston. There were others that came and went, but none I considered to have "owned". But I was getting too big for the 125 to be much fun, and I think it was the Kawa 125 what I had when I got the 360 and found my soul mate. I know that was all before I turned 15 because we could get a street license at 14 and I started riding street bikes (first was a Kawa 350 3 cyl 2 cycle) more for independent teenage mobility. And I got into cars about that time with a 70 Barracuda (318) complete body with no drive train bought from a junkyard for $75 delivered. I had that running with a Duster 340 Magnum and 727 before my 16th birthday, and that was my first car. Followed by Corvettes, Camaro's, several GTOs, Those were the days before stupid money from investors made it all unobtanium...

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can believe that, great that you still have it. I lost all my old toys over the years. I would love to see it when you get it done (and in process!)

If I recall correctly, it was my 4th bike at around 14-15. I started with a Z50 when I was 6, replaced that with a Honda 125 I bought in boxes (kid older than me took it apart for unknown reasons and could get it back together) at a yard sale for $25 I earned cutting grass, traded that for a nice Kawa 125 with a burnt piston. There were others that came and went, but none I considered to have "owned". But I was getting too big for the 125 to be much fun, and I think it was the Kawa 125 what I had when I got the 360 and found my soul mate. I know that was all before I turned 15 because we could get a street license at 14 and I started riding street bikes (first was a Kawa 350 3 cyl 2 cycle) more for independent teenage mobility. And I got into cars about that time with a 70 Barracuda (318) complete body with no drive train bought from a junkyard for $75 delivered. I had that running with a Duster 340 Magnum and 727 before my 16th birthday, and that was my first car. Followed by Corvettes, Camaro's, several GTOs, Those were the days before stupid money from investors made it all unobtanium...

Sounds like your childhood autos were a lot more exciting than mine! I’m 31 this year so all the really cool old iron was already expensive when I got around to caring about it. My first truck was an 81 C10 with a straight 6 and 3 speed column shift. Between tbat truck and growing up in my dads 78 GMC K20 square bodies will always hold a special place in my heart. I didn’t get into motorcycles until a few years ago when I decided to start looking and a friend of mine that grew up with and still hoards a lot of Yamaha Enduro stuff found my 360. I actually have two but the other one is an incomplete (but titled) basket case. The one I’m working on now was pretty well beat as well but I’m working on correcting previous owner abuse. I’ll be sure to post updates in here where you’ll see them!

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I decided to test the onboard air tonight. I knew it wouldn’t be fast but it was a little quicker than I expected. Aired one of the fronts down to 10 psi then back up to 50. Not too quick but beats the hell out of not being able to air down.

D9ACA6FF-0CD7-499C-B725-992A9E8B99DB.png

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I decided to test the onboard air tonight. I knew it wouldn’t be fast but it was a little quicker than I expected. Aired one of the fronts down to 10 psi then back up to 50. Not too quick but beats the hell out of not being able to air down.

View attachment 370479
I have a clip on style air chuck. I rigged up a strap that will hold the handle down on the inflator. I attach the chuck and tie the handle down and then I set a timer so I can do other things while it's inflating but not let it go too long.

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very nice dt, my riding buddy growing up restored his grandpa's 175 and we took that bike all over.
I’m lucky and have a friend that has a 68 DT1 and a 75 DT250 both of which are in immaculate shape, plus a host of others. He’s been very helpful with his wealth of knowledge on the old DT’s. They’re really fun bikes! My new tires showed up for mine yesterday so I need to get back to it

I have a clip on style air chuck. I rigged up a strap that will hold the handle down on the inflator. I attach the chuck and tie the handle down and then I set a timer so I can do other things while it's inflating but not let it go too long.

I like the strap idea I need to do something similar! I had also thought of putting a small regulator I have on it and set that to 55. But for now it works good enough

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since the suburban runs so nice and is trouble free I figured I’d cheat on it a little bit. 3rd owner of this 1979 F250 with 118,000. Needs a floor pan in the drivers side but otherwise it’s clean and thankfully the electrical system all works and it hasn’t been butchered. Has a 400 with aftermarket cam, Fitech and a C6 trans.

E8AA27DE-7AD1-4149-94D3-1CD826E27C58.jpeg 15C16BB1-3942-4D21-BB8B-F25902948686.jpeg

Overall it’s been very fun but I’m fighting a misfire on cylinders 2 and 8. Has spark and good compression yet no fire so that’s getting annoying. Thankfully the burb is flawless so I can get my old vehicle fix by driving it until I figure out the F250

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since the suburban runs so nice and is trouble free I figured I’d cheat on it a little bit. 3rd owner of this 1979 F250 with 118,000. Needs a floor pan in the drivers side but otherwise it’s clean and thankfully the electrical system all works and it hasn’t been butchered. Has a 400 with aftermarket cam, Fitech and a C6 trans.

View attachment 371123 View attachment 371124

Overall it’s been very fun but I’m fighting a misfire on cylinders 2 and 8. Has spark and good compression yet no fire so that’s getting annoying. Thankfully the burb is flawless so I can get my old vehicle fix by driving it until I figure out the F250

Normal people: "My car works, so I'm happy!"

James: "My fleet of cars all mostly work, so I'm legally obligated to buy another broken one."

:haha: :rotfl:

Top Bottom