So I just installed the soft top on the 91 K5, and I am wondering if there is any reason I can't just remove the middle support rod, and build the cage so it supports the soft top. This would allow me to keep the cage at max height for head clearance. It would also stop the middle support from rubbing on the window.
I think I could make the cage bar about 3-4 inches behind where the middle support would of been, but I can also run an x brace up to the B piller hoop that it could rest on.
I plan to start the main hoop tomorrow and I am wondering in there is anything I am missing on that?
Pros:
- more head clearance for rear seat
- middle rod won't rub on window
- can add an x-brace without going below that rod
- don't need the straps hanging down
- more clearance to swing the rear rod down.
-can put a slight arc with the tubing rolller.
Cons:
- can't put the hard top back on (I don't really care)
- cant adjust the tension with the middle rod straps (but I could add padding between the cage and canopy if I need to tighten it)
- can I fold it back down and put it in the cover with only the rear rod?
Anything I am missing for you guy that have had the softtopper for a while?
Most of the time the softopper will probably be either in safari mode, or all sealed up, I doubt the wife will want to be in the direct sun without the shade.
I am referring to the rod that goes forward at an angle. I could always put it back on, its just one screw and it slide off, but if I build the cage without it that would be very time consuming to fix.
I should of taken the plastic off the seat for the picture, had it covered so I didn't get it dirty while I was working on it.

I think I could make the cage bar about 3-4 inches behind where the middle support would of been, but I can also run an x brace up to the B piller hoop that it could rest on.
I plan to start the main hoop tomorrow and I am wondering in there is anything I am missing on that?
Pros:
- more head clearance for rear seat
- middle rod won't rub on window
- can add an x-brace without going below that rod
- don't need the straps hanging down
- more clearance to swing the rear rod down.
-can put a slight arc with the tubing rolller.
Cons:
- can't put the hard top back on (I don't really care)
- cant adjust the tension with the middle rod straps (but I could add padding between the cage and canopy if I need to tighten it)
- can I fold it back down and put it in the cover with only the rear rod?
Anything I am missing for you guy that have had the softtopper for a while?
Most of the time the softopper will probably be either in safari mode, or all sealed up, I doubt the wife will want to be in the direct sun without the shade.
I am referring to the rod that goes forward at an angle. I could always put it back on, its just one screw and it slide off, but if I build the cage without it that would be very time consuming to fix.
I should of taken the plastic off the seat for the picture, had it covered so I didn't get it dirty while I was working on it.
Last edited: