CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Somebody here is tracking Chalets...not sure if this one is accounted for?

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Moody Bricker

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this taken care of stock,,or what the call it fresh restoration,,it can't be both or can it(in my Christopher Walkins voice, 1 pix shows driver seat done then another the bottom not tuck in.

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Li'l late on replying - for some odd reason, I haven't been getting alerts for this thread since the last time I posted, even thought I have it in "watch" mode. The Craigslist ad for the mega-lift #0251 doesn't work, but I found a copy at this aggregator site.
I definitely want the backstory on this one. .. thousands of images of this one all over the web. ... Pretty sure gm used vinyl on the seats. ...
Best I can provide on this mega-lift #0251 is that the first time I saw it was just after the lift had been done, and one of the guys at the 67-72Chev forum posted about it in 2008 here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=297501 . Our CK5 Doug W (co-creator of the very old blazerchalet.com website that I'm the current caretaker of, to keep it online) noted in post #8 there that the guy who modded it with the lift was a member of our now-gone Yahoo Chalet forum, and I chimed in at post #10 with the link to the shop owner's website. It's a non-functioning link now, and the Internet Archive site that captures websites wasn't able to preserve the guy's before & after shots of his various modded vehicles, but from the solitary photo I saved, Chalet #0251 seemed to be in very good condition, either as restored or maybe original. We'd need more info from that Virginia shop guy on where he got it and about what condition it was in back then.
Technically, yes, since the first asking price for Chalet #0429 was $59,900 was the highest I'd ever seen up to that point. That was by the same guys at Garage Kept Motors who succeeded at getting it auctioned at BaT for $125 grand. Was Chalet #0429 actually worth $125 grand? Not by a long shot, in my opinion. As I pointed out over in this CK5 thread, it's still unresolved that it was a single-owner rig, and the other problem is that all the other bidders dropped out after the $47,500 point, leaving it to just two bidders having more money than God (when you look at their other vehicle purchase/bidding history at BaT) to fight over it. The thing that made it a potentially high dollar collector vehicle is that it is supposedly an unrestored, very well kept "time-capsule" with low miles. Another pal of mine, who saw both sides of its last title and asked the sellers to show a reverse side photo of it in that BaT auction, disputes the mileage figure. Meanwhile, this other $119 grand Chalet #1221 is higher mileage, and has been incorrectly restored paint-wise with its stripes, along with a few other defects. I think it has '76 model year cab seats, among other problems, and I'm not liking the alternating colors on the frame.

What the seller of Chalet #0251 fails to realize is that high-dollar values for any collector vehicle, apart from signature-customs from "artists" like Chip Foose, are in dead-nuts accurate restorations back to dealership showroom condition, down to the factory greasepencil markings on the frames. Rather than this rig having a "collector value" of "no less than $75 grand," it might have a real-world market value of around $40 - $50 grand if it truly was a pure "time capsule" original, but the lift and other mods has actually set back the value by whatever dollar amount it takes to remove all the incorrect stuff. If the numbers-matching original engine isn't there, that's one more hit bringing down its collector value.

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
... Just a couple of things I noticed from the ad. "Leather is in perfect condition." Pretty sure gm used vinyl on the seats. ....
Found the current FB Marketplace link for it that has more pics. Those sure look like the factory original vinyl cab seats and dinette seats. I let the fellow know he had a typo in the ad on that. Odds are very much against it (nearly impossible, actually) but if somebody replicated the seats back sometime before 2008 with leather in a nearly identical color, then the rig is not factory original. If it is factory original (minus the bumper / hood / lift / wheels & tires), then those are vinyl seats in exceptionally good condition, something to brag about.

muddybuddy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
looks like you already posted in auction, but posting so paper trail for those that are keeping score at home.

Last edited:

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
looks like you already posted in auction, but posting so paper trail for those that are keeping score at home.
Well, the post I had was for the selling dealer's likely unattainable asking price (" '77 Blazer Chalet #1221 ... for $119 Large in Grand Rapids MI") prior to today's auction start. If it was offered to the two or three top losing bidders of the last BaT auction for Chalet #0429 prior to today, and none bit, that might be an indicator that it won't come close to #0429's final $125 grand at the end of the bidding.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think i got that info on the unit . This yard has a decent turn over rate so yes LONNNNNNG GONE .

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saw this on Instagram. I'm guessing it is long gone to get any info though. @sweetk30 is in Horseheads, NY.
I think i got that info on the unit . This yard has a decent turn over rate so yes LONNNNNNG GONE .
Chalet #1212, built in 9/76. Recognized it from the photo basically along with the Horseheads Pick-a-Part reference. From notes I have in my mega-spreadsheet, it was "flhoward46" here at CK5 who alerted me to it via this thread, http://coloradok5.com/forums/showpost.php?s=c936e7b99fd0f2867a4a1f1bf73c7872&p=2732039 , which I can't get to work, that's either from 9/14/14 or 5/27/10. There were 9 pics in that thread including one of the serial number plate, here's one:

#1212 Chalet 2.jpg

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm always indebted to anybody who alerts me to such listings! I don't look at FB much more than every few weeks or so, but late last night I was back on to see if I had gotten a PM response from a different car guy I contacted, and I usually do an image search to see if any new posted photos appear. This one doesn't match any rigs I have notes on, so I PM'd the guy, and he said he'll relay photos of the camper's serial number plate to me when the next opportunity arises.
Ha i just saw that post
How many times have you guys heard that. "Just have to get a title" Easy to say but very few actually do it.
Good luck for the guy on that. And if the guy can get over that hurdle, good luck to him trying to sell it for "trendy" big dollars. The last buyer of Chalet #1037, a rig in very similar condition, attempted that adventure around a dozen times on ebay/Craigslist from 2017 to 2019. First price he had was $4999 and the last one was $1200, and then more recently somebody either at CK5 or on Instagram spotted it this year (if I remember right) sitting neglected in a Missouri RV storage lot, where the spotter said it had been parked for many years.

Meanwhile, as a favor to the various guys looking for parts, I alerted Miles Blackard at his Chalets/Casa Grandes page (linky) (he used to own Chalet #0589 seen in his header photo) about it and he repeated my text alert verbatim about "with that much rust and neglect, I doubt that the thing can be made roadworthy." The resulting comments are giving me lots of pushback on that remark, with some saying they'd at either of the FB pages that they'd snag it without question just from the photos alone. What I should have added to be clearer is "roadworthy where a profit could be made off of it." Any skilled rebuilder can make pretty much any hunk of vehicle roadworthy, but the seller here wants to make a profit, so the question is, how much rot is there to it, along with how much effort will have to be placed into labor and materials to make it into a daily driver, and could the guy earn back all the $$ he put into it? If it's a keeper, then no problem, but from what I've seen lately, the niche market of guys with loads of excess cash who don't do background research on the relative values of these will likely shrink down to nothing sooner than later.

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm always indebted to anybody who alerts me to such listings! I don't look at FB much more than every few weeks or so, but late last night I was back on to see if I had gotten a PM response from a different car guy I contacted, and I usually do an image search to see if any new posted photos appear. This one doesn't match any rigs I have notes on, so I PM'd the guy, and he said he'll relay photos of the camper's serial number plate to me when the next opportunity arises.

Good luck for the guy on that. And if the guy can get over that hurdle, good luck to him trying to sell it for "trendy" big dollars. The last buyer of Chalet #1037, a rig in very similar condition, attempted that adventure around a dozen times on ebay/Craigslist from 2017 to 2019. First price he had was $4999 and the last one was $1200, and then more recently somebody either at CK5 or on Instagram spotted it this year (if I remember right) sitting neglected in a Missouri RV storage lot, where the spotter said it had been parked for many years.

Meanwhile, as a favor to the various guys looking for parts, I alerted Miles Blackard at his Chalets/Casa Grandes page (linky) (he used to own Chalet #0589 seen in his header photo) about it and he repeated my text alert verbatim about "with that much rust and neglect, I doubt that the thing can be made roadworthy." The resulting comments are giving me lots of pushback on that remark, with some saying they'd at either of the FB pages that they'd snag it without question just from the photos alone. What I should have added to be clearer is "roadworthy where a profit could be made off of it." Any skilled rebuilder can make pretty much any hunk of vehicle roadworthy, but the seller here wants to make a profit, so the question is, how much rot is there to it, along with how much effort will have to be placed into labor and materials to make it into a daily driver, and could the guy earn back all the $$ he put into it? If it's a keeper, then no problem, but from what I've seen lately, the niche market of guys with loads of excess cash who don't do background research on the relative values of these will likely shrink down to nothing sooner than later.
I am contemplating at buying one.... you think one can be had for $2k? like in those pics?

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating at buying one.... you think one can be had for $2k? like in those pics?
Absolutely. The key to success is to get to one that somebody wants cleared off their land before the dealer / flippers get to it. Keep an eye on my GoogleMap of the ones for sale that I find or am alerted to: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...4&ll=38.69572462453107,-97.37870694999998&z=4 I try to keep it reasonably updated, but other obligations keep me away from my hobbies more than I wish.

I average around 40 'new' ones that I put into my mega-spreadsheet each year, so patience is needed for more of these to come out of the woodwork. The speculator bubble caused by Chalet #0429 auctioning for $125 grand is prompting more guys to scour the country for these, but the problem with that is that many might talk the owners into dumping them for $800 because the owners are glad simply to get rid of them, and then these flippers turn right around to double or triple the price without doing a thing to the rig or orphaned camper unit. As seen in the above Facebook post, notice that other commenters do chime in to say they have rigs themselves that they might sell.

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
someone just posted one they brought home.. i replied with link here and asked if were a membet to come here..if not pm me to give me info...

then replied to 3 more people who posted pics of theirs!!!!

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
someone just posted one they brought home.. i replied with link here and asked if were a membet to come here..if not pm me to give me info... then replied to 3 more people who posted pics of theirs!!!!
Yep, the guy who was working on getting the title sent me pics of the SN plate, this is Chalet #1005, built in 10/76, and it's another one that I wasn't aware of before.
I'm not sure how to upload pics, but i picked up 1976 Chevy Blazer Chalet #14 this spring as a project
Thanks for that update. All I heard on it before was that it was in a Montana junkyard. Somebody on Instagram took two pics of it, looks to be quite an uphill struggle: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7CxbnigdEL/ Second lowest serial number I know of after #0010 that a guy in France got out of the U.S. to go with the 7 or 8 other Chalets he imported.

85jimmy3/4ton

Registered Member
Reaction score
yeah, thats my wife's IG i uesd to have one, don't anymore, the property is a former salvage yard that I bought, the rig isn't all that bad, it looks like someone was getting started on it and all the parts minus the rear door are in the back, one of these days i will get going on it, I hauled it in from western MT, though it was last registered in WA state. Chris
Yep, the guy who was working on getting the title sent me pics of the SN plate, this is Chalet #1005, built in 10/76, and it's another one that I wasn't aware of before.

Thanks for that update. All I heard on it before was that it was in a Montana junkyard. Somebody on Instagram took two pics of it, looks to be quite an uphill struggle: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7CxbnigdEL/ Second lowest serial number I know of after #0010 that a guy in France got out of the U.S. to go with the 7 or 8 other Chalets he imported.

Top Bottom