CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

steering wheel upper shaft play (not the tilt issue) Help Please

SuperCAN

Registered Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone with ideas here...

Truck: 1985 k5

Issue: Steering shaft (the short shaft on the steering wheel side of the plastic ball joint) shakes/has excessive play.

Background: I took apart the steering column to tighten the torx bolts for the tilt steering mechanism thinking the looseness/play was due to these bolts being loose. According to the interwebs, this seemed like a common problem for these chevy's to have. I tightened them; however, this did not stop the slop in the steering upper shaft.

It almost seems like the upper steering shaft is loose in the bearing - is that a thing? I haven't found that it's a thing on the internet???

Media below:
1. Steering shaft/bearing.....in the pic where I'm pointing with the screwdriver, there is ~ ~3/16" gap when i fully deflect the upper shaft between the shaft and the bearing.

2. Video where I try and demonstrate the shake and try to demonstrate that the lower shaft does not move.

Any ideas or have you seen this before?

bearing gap.JPG

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone with ideas here...

Truck: 1985 k5

Issue: Steering shaft (the short shaft on the steering wheel side of the plastic ball joint) shakes/has excessive play.

Background: I took apart the steering column to tighten the torx bolts for the tilt steering mechanism thinking the looseness/play was due to these bolts being loose. According to the interwebs, this seemed like a common problem for these chevy's to have. I tightened them; however, this did not stop the slop in the steering upper shaft.

It almost seems like the upper steering shaft is loose in the bearing - is that a thing? I haven't found that it's a thing on the internet???

Media below:
1. Steering shaft/bearing.....in the pic where I'm pointing with the screwdriver, there is ~ ~3/16" gap when i fully deflect the upper shaft between the shaft and the bearing.

2. Video where I try and demonstrate the shake and try to demonstrate that the lower shaft does not move.

Any ideas or have you seen this before?

View attachment 257825
To me looks like a blown bearing or when you put it back together you missed or misplaced a part.
Been a while since I took one apart so I can't give you a definite answer

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
You’re missing the inner race for the bearing. It slips over the shaft and into that sucker.

SuperCAN

Registered Member
Reaction score

Thanks! are there assembly instructions? for example, it seems like the part #2 actually needs to face "up" (reverser from the pic) so that it holds the spring. I do have parts #2 and 3 so it must be that I'm putting them together in the wrong order.

Thanks!

jeff in co

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom