CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm sure this has been on here before but there isn't very much info on this subject. I have a 77 chevy with a built 350 th400 np241 14bff rear dana 44 4.56 gears and a locker in the rear. I want some overdrive cause 3000rpm isn't fun at 65. I don't want to run. Crappy 700r4 cause I hate the detent cables and their weak. Also I don't want a computer, I know it sounds stupid but I just dont want to deal with a computer.
Anyways I found a guy on craigslist who has a u.s. gear dual box, it fits between the trans and t-case. hes asking $1000 but I'm skeptical since that company went out of buisiness a few years back and it's a used unit off of a ford f350. Adapters ect...
I'm also looking at the gear vendors overdrive that bolts to the tail shaft and I could use it as a slip yoke eliminator and I would buy it lt brand new. Suposably could take 2500hp. That is about $3000 give or take. But I can't run o/d in 4x4, as if I would anyway.
What do you guys think?
Thanks for any help!

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying! Buy a TCI controller and call it a day
http://www.usshift.com/index.shtml use to be opti shift if I recall the old name . few guys here run them .

scan over there site and see all the options you get with there controller.

and 4l80-e can get a full man valve body with no computer to run it but you are stuck with a full man auto just no clutch pedal .

and a good correct built 700r4 can be a good thing .

check in to the gearvendor overall length . with there adaptor and such they get LONG before drive shaft hook up .

older out of production unit = no real service parts & ford setup so 31 spline shafts not 27 or 32 spline for gm shafts.

4l80-e = same gear ratios of th400 just overdrive gear and lockup conv.

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man I don't know what to do, I really don't want the computer but just the trans by itself would be awsome. How would a 4l80e run cost wise? And there is no other way to get a 4 speed auto without the electronic garbage unless you get the 700r4 right?

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
the 700r4 is the same basic length as th400 so shaft mods = prob none .

the 700r4 would require a input shaft swap on the tcase tho . as its a 27 spline shaft over the 400/4l80-e 32 spline.

@Greg Ducato is our resident tranny man and can help you point out what you need .

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of monester transmissions? There is the monster 4x4 700r4 that seems legit, it's 2600 for all the stuff. Is there any other company's or rebuilds excited for a STRONG 700r4. That is my main concern, RELIABILITY.
THANKS

454Sub

5/8 ton status
Reaction score
A 4L80E seems like your only choice. But full manual would be kind of blah on a column shift. But you could use your existing t case and everything and simply lengthen or shorten the shafts as required. I am going full manual on mine only because of lack of funds.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
What do you guys think of monester transmissions? There is the monster 4x4 700r4 that seems legit, it's 2600 for all the stuff. Is there any other company's or rebuilds excited for a STRONG 700r4. That is my main concern, RELIABILITY.
THANKS

hit or miss with those guys. You can find reviews if you search on here.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Worrying about computer/electronics is generally not rational IMO. I don't mean to poopoo anyone, electronics do fail, but done right, they aren't normally the weak link. Something like the 4L80E is generally considered to be done right. I'm surprised there isn't anyone out there selling the standalone 4L80E setups GM used with the diesel rigs (including the later HMMWV variants), which one would think would be a lot cheaper than aftermarket.

As to the Gear Vendors, not sure if it's every model or not, but the one I dealt with, and the ones I'm seeing being sold, have an electronic box of their own, so you likely aren't getting away from electrical with that either.

Ranger is the only overdrive setup I've heard that is fully mechanical, not even sure they are still made.

Last edited:

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the 700r4 is a weaker trans? Vs a th400? I like the super low geared 1st in the 700, which the th400 and the 4l80 both have. I'm not so worried about electronics but the computer is what I dnot like.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Do you guys think the 700r4 is a weaker trans? Vs a th400? I like the super low geared 1st in the 700, which the th400 and the 4l80 both have. I'm not so worried about electronics but the computer is what I dnot like.

An ECM/TCM has no moving parts. It's less likely to fail (again when made correctly) than a solenoid, relay, or switch, which is what most all the early "E" variant trans (and even TH400) used at some point.

The 700 in stock form is a weaker trans than the 4L80E or the TH400. Transmission guys can talk to the strength of the 700 when built properly. If you are ok with the TH400 now, I don't think the 4L80E ratios are going to be an issue.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That would still make it computer controlled, and I like the idea with sppitting gears and the simplI city and stregth of the th400

Avoiding electronics will be expensive. Many, many good solutions require electronic control, and many manual solutions are much less reliable than their electronic competition. Carburetors are a good example. Hundreds of thousands of 20-year-old vehicles are still running their stock EFI tune & factory components. I challenge you to find me a carbureted engine that is still running well after 20 years of no tuneups and no repairs. You can build a carbureted rig if you want, but it's not a good choice if RELIABILITY is your primary goal.

Same goes for the TH400 vs. the 4L80e. The older box is susceptible to leaky vacuum lines and almost all of them do not have a lockup function. On its very best day a 3-speed TH400 has no advantages over a 4-speed 4L80e, and it falls short in several ways.

The 700R4 is a decent mechanical tranny, but is fairly weak in stock form and is also fragile to overheating stress. Get a new one that is built well by someone who really knows what he is doing, and you will be fine up to the torque rating of the transmission parts.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
THANKS

I've heard bad stories about their workmanship, but I have no first hand experience. I do know that @Greg Ducato at Phoenix Transmission has supplied a number of the builds around here, and I have yet to hear of any complaints. He builds several levels of 700R4, his prices are cheaper than Monster, and he has been a good help to lots of folks around here. Even to folks like me who haven't wound up buying anything from him. I'd at least solicit his input if you want feedback on what a well-built 700R4 should be.

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/gm-transmissions/

handloader90

Building!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man I don't know what to do, I really don't want the computer but just the trans by itself would be awsome. How would a 4l80e run cost wise? And there is no other way to get a 4 speed auto without the electronic garbage unless you get the 700r4 right?

PATC out of Louisiana builds gnarly 700's and 350's.

handloader90

Building!
Premium Member
Reaction score
What size tires are your running with those 4.56's? Might be cheaper and easier to just up the tire size to keep the RPM's happy at highway speeds.

camok5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know Daniel you just need to keep the TH400 until I find my lq4 4l80e combo then I'll give you my built 700r4!!! Dont waste your money trying to turn your TH400 into an overdrive. The only other two decent options are to up size your tires to 37" or get a 4l80e with a stand alone harness.

rayfin

Registered Member
Reaction score
WOW that sounds like a deal. I'm sure someone could build you a 700r4 for a decent price that is strong. That would be my suggestion.

You know Daniel you just need to keep the TH400 until I find my lq4 4l80e combo then I'll give you my built 700r4!!! Dont waste your money trying to turn your TH400 into an overdrive. The only other two decent options are to up size your tires to 37" or get a 4l80e with a stand alone harness.

Top Bottom