CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

What the Scout

1964-ish Scout 800/80 hot mess Scout. The only redeaming qualities of the truck are the rust free body and frame. Everything else look like a crack head had a good idea and went half way with it. Swapping a GM drivetrain.

HereForThePics

Registered Member
Reaction score
HereForThePics submitted a new Build:

What the Scout

I've always thought Scouts were awesome and I've been keeping an eye out for the perfect starter truck. @the_blaze and I drove to southern Utah to go check out a 1964 Scout 800, and that's where I fell in love. It's a hot mess for sure, and @the_blaze told me to pass and wait for another Scout to show up View attachment 284520 View attachment 284520 View attachment 284520 , but it spoke to me. This truck was the one and I'm super excited about it! We've come to find out that it was an Air Force Scout 800 which means not all the parts (doors, etc) are 800 specific. It's a frankenstein of a vehicle and needs more than just a little TLC, but it has potential. Welcome to Extreme Makeover -- Scout edition.

Read more about this build here...

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Woo hoo build thread!

So most everyone here is GM obviously.

But I'd run Toyota mini truck axles in it. Pretty much the same width as what you have . They can handle a 37 pretty easy too. Or wagoneer Dana 44s

I'd even consider a 3rz swap into it. That's a motor out of a Tacoma.

Small and light can be good things

Unless you wanna go 40s then it's just straight to tons

HereForThePics

Registered Member
Reaction score
@the_blaze @72gmck5 @kgblazerfive @blazinzuk @Drummingpeke @ashman @skunked @83ChevyK5Blazer
Hey guys I finally started my thread. This will be a very slow build and definitely on a budget. The goal here is to keep it looking like a Scout, but reliable and easy to work on. I would like to build a wheeler but I dont want fullsize axles with wheels poking way out from the body-- I'd like to keep it looking as close to original as possible (the lift is okay though). You guys have been a big help to @the_blaze so I'm open to any ideas you have!

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

af.jpg

IH scout 1.jpg

l.jpg

ll.jpg

m.jpg

main.jpg

HereForThePics

Registered Member
Reaction score
Woo hoo build thread!

So most everyone here is GM obviously.

But I'd run Toyota mini truck axles in it. Pretty much the same width as what you have . They can handle a 37 pretty easy too. Or wagoneer Dana 44s

I'd even consider a 3rz swap into it. That's a motor out of a Tacoma.

Small and light can be good things

Unless you wanna go 40s then it's just straight to tons

Joey has been looking into Scout II dana 44's, they are 3" wider than what I have, but the axels will look fine. If Toyota axels are cheaper and easier to come by, I would def look into those.

the_blaze

Nightmare / Plan B
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
First things first i'd like to get window seals so we can put the glass back in to keep the snow out. Then id like to totally strip it, pull the wiring, cage, seats and drivetrain. I am going to reinstall the axle the right way so i can attach the steering so we can roll it around.....Once its that far we can really make a plan and start building.

Justin V

I should've stayed up there
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd look at waggy axles for sure. They are skinny under a waggy, but with some toyota steelies they'd sit right under a scout.

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Joey has been looking into Scout II dana 44's, they are 3" wider than what I have, but the axels will look fine. If Toyota axels are cheaper and easier to come by, I would def look into those.

Problem with Scout axles is they have zero caster. Literally. I'm not a fan. Though I have cut and turned a couple. Improved the driving leaps and bounds .

Oh and like 4" yj lift springs in a spring under configuration. Should fit 35s. I've done that once but I don't remember if it had 33s or 35s

Waggy axles are super similar to scout axles though as far as width.

the_blaze

Nightmare / Plan B
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Problem with Scout axles is they have zero caster. Literally. I'm not a fan. Though I have cut and turned a couple. Improved the driving leaps and bounds .

Oh and like 4" yj lift springs in a spring under configuration. Should fit 35s. I've done that once but I don't remember if it had 33s or 35s

Waggy axles are super similar to scout axles though as far as width.

I was thinking spring over, either way it will need a lift to help the ls clear things.... likely needs a small body lift also...

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
First things first i'd like to get window seals so we can put the glass back in to keep the snow out. Then id like to totally strip it, pull the wiring, cage, seats and drivetrain. I am going to reinstall the axle the right way so i can attach the steering so we can roll it around.....Once its that far we can really make a plan and start building.

From the looks this would be the best plan.

The axles aren't super awful but I think 12" drums? And no power assist. They stop......... eventually. Waggys, scoutII or Toyotas I'd definitely replace them.

the_blaze

Nightmare / Plan B
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

HereForThePics

Registered Member
Reaction score
This weekend (maybe even tomorrow) we are going to start cleaning it out/going thru it so we can figure out exactly what we are working with. Exciting!

Top Bottom