CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

brokenparts

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lots of choices out there.... seems like a few folks from here have chosen FiTech along with the command center. After reading some info here and on other forums, it looks like people are have mixed results with the command center / FiTech.

I'm curious which systems people are happy with... I'm also very curious about "in tank pump" conversions people have done with their stock or stock replacement tanks.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't know anyone here on CK5 with the command center nor do I know anyone that has one for first hand experience.

I've done a couple FiTech installations and I don't have any negative feedback to provide on either.

For the tank I'm using the a reproduction 31 gallon TBI tank with the TBI fuel sending unit and a AC Delco EP381 pump. This combo has been used successfully by other CK5 members for EFI conversions. The TBI sending unit has metric fittings so you'll need adapter to convert over to 6 an as pictured below.
1FB06B38-4C63-44AE-AD35-9D1B879BC816_zpskmov9egg.jpg

1FEF22F1-6248-4224-B2F7-B86230DA0F8B_zpsyjcr55bx.jpg

brokenparts

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of using a TBI tank.. makes sense. 31 gallons would be sweet too. Do you know if those have a baffle in them?

ekajkrats

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fi-tech has been fine for me as well. I went the inline fuel pump route (installed it a few years ago when I went with an old Holley tbi analog system). And like you, reading up on the fuel command center seems to be hit or miss.

Most guys on here seem to put on an older GM tbi setup as parts are easy to procure and cheap to fix and get running. It will be interesting to see how Holley's Sniper EFI ends up doing, and if anyone on here gets one.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of using a TBI tank.. makes sense. 31 gallons would be sweet too. Do you know if those have a baffle in them?

yes it has a baffle, I've heard they vary in design on the aftermarket tanks though. In my opinion the 31 is a necessity with the BBC if you plan on going off the grid.

It will be interesting to see how Holley's Sniper EFI ends up doing, and if anyone on here gets one.

@mrk5 was looking into it, not sure if that's still on the table or not.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
@mrk5 was looking into it, not sure if that's still on the table or not.
I'm still leaning that way. I really like having the timing control and the ability independently control both Windstar fans. The Holley Sniper will do that for $1000 but to get that with FiTech you have to step up to the $1200 "Power Adder" unit. Although admittedly I have debated about paying the $200 difference because the FiTech has been out a little longer and potentially had more of the bugs worked out.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It's a bit of a toss up for sure. I have the timing control but not the 2nd fan control. I'll probably end up wiring both the fans to the same control wire and have them on independent override switches. I need the override switches anyway for water crossings.

and to make things more interesting, FiTech has a bunch of new products to release however they want to get their manufacturing caught up before they release them. At least that's what the sales rep said at Hot August Nights....

brokenparts

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a bit of a toss up for sure. I have the timing control but not the 2nd fan control. I'll probably end up wiring both the fans to the same control wire and have them on independent override switches. I need the override switches anyway for water crossings.

and to make things more interesting, FiTech has a bunch of new products to release however they want to get their manufacturing caught up before they release them. At least that's what the sales rep said at Hot August Nights....

Interesting... did he hint at what kind of new products?

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I don't know anyone here on CK5 with the command center nor do I know anyone that has one for first hand experience.

I've done a couple FiTech installations and I don't have any negative feedback to provide on either.

For the tank I'm using the a reproduction 31 gallon TBI tank with the TBI fuel sending unit and a AC Delco EP381 pump. This combo has been used successfully by other CK5 members for EFI conversions. The TBI sending unit has metric fittings so you'll need adapter to convert over to 6 an as pictured below.
1FB06B38-4C63-44AE-AD35-9D1B879BC816_zpskmov9egg.jpg

1FEF22F1-6248-4224-B2F7-B86230DA0F8B_zpsyjcr55bx.jpg
Interesting. So that sender already has some sort of threaded fittings? The TBI senders in my '89 crew cab just have barbed fittings. What's the application for that sender?

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Interesting. So that sender already has some sort of threaded fittings? The TBI senders in my '89 crew cab just have barbed fittings. What's the application for that sender?

It's a 31 gallon K5 TBI sending unit.

@K85 Octane did the dirty work and found these fittings.

Interesting... did he hint at what kind of new products?

no he didn't.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have the sending unit sitting in a box if you need some measurements. @Kay86K5 may have some insight on this, I would think he would have gone this route with the 8.1L Crew if it was an option.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
He just reused old sending units; I was just checking his thread.

What I've found is my saddle tank is 11" tall. A 31 gallon is 12.75" tall. However a 25 gallon tank is 10.75" tall. I can get a sender like @skunked posted for the 25gallon tank that should work to mount the EP381 in. Plus it gives me that overflow port to run a fill line from the other tank like @bent72 and @Kay86K5 did.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oh fancy.....

Are the tank openings the same to accept the k5 sender?

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Oh fancy.....

Are the tank openings the same to accept the k5 sender?
Interesting, RockAuto lists different replacement part numbers for the sender lock ring but they ALL have the same alternate/OEM Part Number: 25124032.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Maybe get some measurements off your parts truck saddle tank and I can measure the K5 tank.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
RockAuto list the lock ring dimensions for the pickup, 3-7/8 OD x 3-1/8 ID.

Top Bottom