CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

White Phoenix

Building for Rubicon

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
imiceman44 submitted a new Build:

Family hauler

Ok so it's been a long time since I have done anything other tjan repair or maintenance and the occasional parting out rigs.
I still have no time to build if I don't have the right motivation but maybe with the build, I can get tjings slowly going and now that I know I have lots of close neighbors, maybe a wrenching bbq party or 2 and I can possibly get ready for some wheeling this year.
I have not been wheeling since I got married in 2005.
So I am starting with this suburban with a tired 350tbi.

Read more about this build here...

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
So what I have ready:
D60/14bff 4.56 detroit rear
93 454 tbi with a mpfi conversion kit, might need to go thru the engine to make sure it's good to go.
4l80e and 241
I have a couple of 241 including a wrong side one I could do ecobox doubler.
I have a set of 38" tires which will be ok with gearing but probably better with the doubler.
I also have another option for engine, the same engine I ran in my k5 Perkins 5.9 turbo diesel.
I would be running this one with a manual could do my sm465 but would rather get a 4500.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of a 52" front with custom hangars moving the front an inch or 2 to clear the firewall and 64" rear and trim to fit.
Crossover of course to get better steering when twisted up.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
The truck is a CA truck so no rust, but it has a few dings here and there so I don't mind hakking to fit the tires and I will need sliders tucked as high as I can and I might put my winch in the bumper I have, but I would rather buil one that has a better approach angle.
We'll see what time I have.

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
You could call it the "Azz Hauler"....HA! I like naming things. Family wheeler sounds like something you win on the price is right in the show case show down.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
So if I go with the 454 it's a straight forward swap, the Perkins will need some work but I had it before so I know what I need to do.
Any thoughts?

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't you say that Perkins vibrated your Blazer apart?
I need to reinforce the frame and lock every nut.
I didn't have lock washer or loctite on anything.
One thing loosened up the frame started twisting because the shop that put the engine in didn't reinforce what they hacked.
I know what I need to do now.
It's just more work than the 454

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I need to reinforce the frame and lock every nut.
I didn't have lock washer or loctite on anything.
One thing loosened up the frame started twisting because the shop that put the engine in didn't reinforce what they hacked.
I know what I need to do now.
It's just more work than the 454

Honestly why the Perkins would be really cool. I'd probably go the easiest route. Fun to build. Fun to wheel

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I'm a diesel guy but I gotta say those Perkins engines are not my favorites. When they run they run well but when they stop....well, it's usually bad. My answer to your question would be a question. How much are you going to drive it, other than wheeling? If you plan to drive it around, tow with it or general use...do the 454 for sure. If it's just going to ride on a trailer to and from places and screw around in the dirt do the paint shaker. That way you'll always have a trailer close by to carry it home when it decides to quit....HA!

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a diesel guy but I gotta say those Perkins engines are not my favorites. When they run they run well but when they stop....well, it's usually bad. My answer to your question would be a question. How much are you going to drive it, other than wheeling? If you plan to drive it around, tow with it or general use...do the 454 for sure. If it's just going to ride on a trailer to and from places and screw around in the dirt do the paint shaker. That way you'll always have a trailer close by to carry it home when it decides to quit....HA!
That engine T6-354 is the most efficient most reliable engine they made.
Never failed me in the 7 years I ran it.
I guess I can stick it in my otger suburban that is already diesel with a bad 6.2
And I never trailer, everything is driven to and from the trails.

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
That engine T6-354 is the most efficient most reliable engine they made.
Never failed me in the 7 years I ran it.
I guess I can stick it in my otger suburban that is already diesel with a bad 6.2
And I never trailer, everything is driven to and from the trails.

I agree for a Perkins that is about the best they made. However, being the fastest kid in the special olympics is still well, special. They were predominantly used in farm equipment where the vibration wasn't a concern. They do and are known for catastrophic failure....when they decide to go, they go big is my meaning. Then again I saw one running like a top, purring along and noticed an almost constant stream of oil coming from the side of the head. We pulled the head off and thought we would find a bad gasket. Yeah, no. The piston rings were essentially nonexistent. It was pushing oil up into the cylinder and pushing it out...LOL. because it already smoked like a steam engine and burned a quart of oil a day no one ever thought to mess with it. So my point is they are tough engine but when they go, as I said. They go Ina big way

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree for a Perkins that is about the best they made. However, being the fastest kid in the special olympics is still well, special. They were predominantly used in farm equipment where the vibration wasn't a concern. They do and are known for catastrophic failure....when they decide to go, they go big is my meaning. Then again I saw one running like a top, purring along and noticed an almost constant stream of oil coming from the side of the head. We pulled the head off and thought we would find a bad gasket. Yeah, no. The piston rings were essentially nonexistent. It was pushing oil up into the cylinder and pushing it out...LOL. because it already smoked like a steam engine and burned a quart of oil a day no one ever thought to mess with it. So my point is they are tough engine but when they go, as I said. They go Ina big way
So knowing that engine so well, given the choice for an overland truck this engine or a good 6.2 with a turbo which would you go with?

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
So knowing that engine so well, given the choice for an overland truck this engine or a good 6.2 with a turbo which would you go with?

Absolutely the 6.2 with a turbo. For no other reason than parts availability. You can walk into any parts house anywhere and get whatever you need for that engine. Perkins parts are obscure.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolutely the 6.2 with a turbo. For no other reason than parts availability. You can walk into any parts house anywhere and get whatever you need for that engine. Perkins parts are obscure.
That's true, same reason why most stick with 33-35" tires.
I guess I guess I can find another home for this engine, something that stays close to home

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
That's true, same reason why most stick with 33-35" tires.
I guess I guess I can find another home for this engine, something that stays close to home
I'm all for doing weird and obscure transplants. However it all boils down to usability and ease of use. I mean I put a cat engine in a f-350 for a guy. It was extremely expensive, waaaayyy overkill and broke parts almost weekly but he wanted to go to town occasionally, take it to the tractor pulls and make a BUNCH of black smoke. It did that but he wouldn't dare take it on a road trip or anything practical. The older I get the more I think in terms of practicality and usefulness. If I can't use it all the time and it's a pain in the ass to work on AND hard to get parts for, I just don't want to do it anymore. I recently built a 1600hp duramax for a KID. I mean a 17 year old kid with a bunch of daddy's money. I did it and it was awesome for week then it ate the 2600 transmission that was built specifically for it. They replaced that with a 4K transmission that lived a few months. At that point, they were both over it and wanted it put back to some semblance of stock because the kid couldn't drive it.

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I just think simple and get wheeling. You got the good stuff, axles, good trans and t case. Put in the big block and a big burb tank and wheel it.

I also think with the big block the 4.56s will be happy with the 38s. Won't be a power house but certainly decent and likely feel fairly spritely .

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just think simple and get wheeling. You got the good stuff, axles, good trans and t case. Put in the big block and a big burb tank and wheel it.

I also think with the big block the 4.56s will be happy with the 38s. Won't be a power house but certainly decent and likely feel fairly spritely .
I already have the 40gal tank.
And I think between the 454 and the 241 and 4.56 I might have to use the right pedal a little bit.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm all for doing weird and obscure transplants. However it all boils down to usability and ease of use. I mean I put a cat engine in a f-350 for a guy. It was extremely expensive, waaaayyy overkill and broke parts almost weekly but he wanted to go to town occasionally, take it to the tractor pulls and make a BUNCH of black smoke. It did that but he wouldn't dare take it on a road trip or anything practical. The older I get the more I think in terms of practicality and usefulness. If I can't use it all the time and it's a pain in the ass to work on AND hard to get parts for, I just don't want to do it anymore. I recently built a 1600hp duramax for a KID. I mean a 17 year old kid with a bunch of daddy's money. I did it and it was awesome for week then it ate the 2600 transmission that was built specifically for it. They replaced that with a 4K transmission that lived a few months. At that point, they were both over it and wanted it put back to some semblance of stock because the kid couldn't drive it.
You know it's funny how I bought the blazer with the Perkins, drove it half way through the country wheeled it daily drove it for 7 years.
Finally the frame gave up so I pulled the engine and was going to put it in my crew cab.
Never missed a beat.
Now you got me so worried I don't know if I want to use it:(

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
You know it's funny how I bought the blazer with the Perkins, drove it half way through the country wheeled it daily drove it for 7 years.
Finally the frame gave up so I pulled the engine and was going to put it in my crew cab.
Never missed a beat.
Now you got me so worried I don't know if I want to use it:(

I wouldn't be scared of it really, I'm just saying to watch it closely. Farm equipment is usually used for short periods of time, worked on and used again. It's a very different scenario than a traditional truck engine which is designed to just go and go.

Top Bottom