1970 GMC Jimmy - Grandfathers Unfinished Business

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dan_P, Aug 17, 2019.

1. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    Too bad I didn't see this before, I have many sets of wheels I could have sold you cheap, including one set like the one you bought, and I am close in Lincoln CA

2. Dan_P

Dan_P Registered Member Premium Member

Bummer. Thanks for the thought!

3. 86454K30

86454K30 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
  4. Dan_P

Hoping to get some suspension guidance. Truck currently has Monroe Monro-Magnum front and rear shocks. Very stiff and likely ancient.
    As of today, my use of the truck is around town / on road. Planning to leave the leaf springs and just swap out the shocks.

I'm struggling to find the specific part and most sites show no results when I search for the year/make of the truck. I'm hoping I can figure this out online, but my backup plan is to drive in (4WheelParts) to get this dialed in.

- I believe ~2" lift (not sure how to confirm that) and I would like to keep this height. 33" tires
    - I read that some shocks require a modified rear bracket, definitely want to avoid that.
    - For my application it really seems like any middle of the road shock will be fine...Skyjacker/Rancho/etc. I like Bilstein on my other truck but they are probably overkill for my application.
    - Some reading say to take off the old shocks and measure, then buy the replacement Is that necessary? Feels like there must be some internet knowledge that can help me avoid that.

Any info is much appreciated.
    Hoping to learn from someone that recently solved this and order the shocks.
    If I'm missing something substantial / important, let me know.

Thanks!

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

5. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    If you measure the shock eye to eye with it still installed, you can use that info to review shock specs on the Internet. Find one that has a couple inches taller and shorter than your installed length.

I bought some from ORD when I first got my K5 and they seem to work fine just telling them the year and any lift it has.

skunked likes this.
  6. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    Definitely get the bilstein shocks you will not regret it. You will need to measure like @bp71k5 suggested. If you call off road design they can help with this.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't measure the old shocks and buy new ones with the same specs--just in case the last person who installed them may not have made sure they would extend far enough or collapse far enough not to cause issues..in other words,copy their mistake..they may not have changed the shocks too,,just re-used the ones on the truck when the lift was installed---they would still "work" on a 2"-3" lift probably,but be close to topped out at full extension and possibly bottom out before the spring hits the bump stop..

I spent many hours at work in the back pages of the Monroe catalog where shocks were listed by length ,travel,and the mounting codes ,looking for suitable shocks that were a bolt on replacement ,only longer to compensate for the lift..not only for 4x4's with lift kits,but many muscle cars that guys wanted to "jack up the rear end" with longer shackles or coil spring spacers..

8. skunked

skunked phat block slush machine Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

^ this and don’t waste your time with 4WP, call ORD if you need some help. I also agree with @imiceman44, the Bilstein’s are worth the extra money.

Dan_P likes this.
  9. Dan_P

Thanks. I'll give ORD a call next week.
    Measurements eye to eye turned out to be: Front 16". Rear 20".

Thanks