CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

1989 Camaro RS

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Come straight forward, over the front of the engine, and then curve over like a Firebird TPI air intake?

Martin
There's actually some folks running a carb hat and tieing it in to a TPI dual filter set-up in front of the radiator. But this works for me. It's still quite an improvement over stock. And I'm into it for like $16?

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The oldest gave me a hand this morning and we got the new KYB AGK shocks installed on the rear of the Camaro. Gonna shower here in a bit and take a ride to see how they do.

They are 8 position adjustable and came set at 4. I'm going to start there and see how they do.

I'm hoping they can be set to launch at the track and then dialed down to drive home comfortably.

This thing isn't fast but a good launch is worth a couple tenths.

Reactions: acm

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Love the black lace wheels. I have two, don’t remember if mine are front or back.

Martin

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love the black lace wheels. I have two, don’t remember if mine are front or back.

Martin
I've been after a set for a while. Either black or gold, I didn't care which.

Now I've got to find center caps.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any advice on cleaning up these wheels? I really don't want to break through the clear coat of I can help it because they all seem to be decent. Just looking to shine them up a little.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bought some medium and fine Turtle Wax polish and got after one with my DA. I'm going to have to get a polisher and decent pads. Maybe even go in with some fine sand paper or a more aggressive compound than what I have now.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it paint or powder?
I'm just trying to shine up the shiny bits right now. The paint will need retouched later.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to start with a light sanding and polish it back out. I think these wheels have lost the factory coating on the aluminum.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I meant do the wheels have paint or powdercoat on them?

USSkoval

Thornbirds look cool... Yeah, I said it
Premium Member
Reaction score
The machined wheel lips have a clear coating on them that turns dull over time. O'Reillys sells Aircraft Stripper in aerosol cans that will take it right off so you can give the aluminum a quick polish. They will look much closer to new then. You can either polish them from time to time (that's what I always choose) or spray them with clearcoat.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The machined wheel lips have a clear coating on them that turns dull over time. O'Reillys sells Aircraft Stripper in aerosol cans that will take it right off so you can give the aluminum a quick polish. They will look much closer to new then. You can either polish them from time to time (that's what I always choose) or spray them with clearcoat.
Prefect! Thanks!

I'm thinking I'll clean up the inside too and spray them with the old Argent Silver that the rally wheels came in to help keep the inside clean as well and then redo the black lace. It'll be more than I really wanted to do but I think it will be worth it.

USSkoval

Thornbirds look cool... Yeah, I said it
Premium Member
Reaction score
Prefect! Thanks!

I'm thinking I'll clean up the inside too and spray them with the old Argent Silver that the rally wheels came in to help keep the inside clean as well and then redo the black lace. It'll be more than I really wanted to do but I think it will be worth it.
Be careful with the lace area, you don't want to bite off more than you care to chew. If you clean up the lace area with a strong mix of Purple Power and rinse it off with a healthy stream of water, you may find that it looks pretty decent still. Properly refurbing the lace area is a very tedious task.

I used to have some pictures of refinishing these same wheels, but I think photobucket stole them.

Top Bottom