CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
76zimmer submitted a new Build:

76 CrewCab Dually...4/1....powdercoated parts!

As many have followed and commented on my Iron Maiden thread, I bought a 76 Crewcab dually in Utah, and drove it home last weekend...
Eric (Blazinzuk) did a lot of legwork hunting down a solid platform for me to start a tow rig rebuild with.

My wants for a truck were:
Must be a round headlight year
Crewcab Dually
454/T400 drivetrain
A/C, Cruise options
Solid frame and body

The 454 runs strong, although it does use a quart of oil every 400mi or so;
the trans shifts great, and appears to be in great overall condition.
The 4.10 rear D70 also seems to be in good shape.
Hopefully a few upgrades to the drivetrain will satisfy my need for the duty this truck will see.

I wasn't going to do much to it but drive it for the first year, but I already decided to renew the front brakes....it has an out of true rotor, and they were down to 1.480 or so, and minimum is 1.465, so new rotors/hubs/pads up front are going on, and gradually going to go to 16" rims as it has 16.5's now. I have 2 GM 16" dually rims that are at the stripper right now, and will paint them a matching color of a future paint plan, and get some decent rubber on them for the front. It has a nice set of 4 matching tires for the rear on 16.5's. I'll use them for the next year at least.

So here is what I'm starting with, it may look familiar:

View attachment 230287

CCleftquarter.jpg
CCleftfrontgrille.jpg
CCrightfrontfender.jpg
CCengine.jpg
CCfrontseatanddash.jpg
CCleftreardoor2.jpg

I'll get a few more pics up in the next day or two...upcoming: brakes on the front, refurbbed front 16" wheels, and paint buffing.

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

fabjunkie

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Looks like it's clean. From another newly CC owner, I'm already thinking a 2wd Dually version, and I don't even have mine yet!! Is that red or orange?

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
hey Zim did you make a deal with Kert on those 16.5 dually wheels Cuz I need a set lol

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Looks like it's clean. From another newly CC owner, I'm already thinking a 2wd Dually version, and I don't even have mine yet!! Is that red or orange?

I thiink its Crimson Red, but haven't checked the code yet.

hey Zim did you make a deal with Kert on those 16.5 dually wheels Cuz I need a set lol

I did Gus, he aint' getting them right away but he wants them.

Sweet! Nice score.

IMHO, round headlights are the way to go.

Yeah, I've had both, and still dig the round eyes.:pimp:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
yeah, I only need 3 more GM steelies...anybody got some spares?

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ha, soon as zim pointed out they were 16.5s if I would have my 16s mounted up I would have traded him right there.

Oh well I do want 17s eventually and I only really want 35s

I want to run 37" H1's on my dually like all the cool kids lol!!

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
hahaha....nice...but wait til you see mine for the Maiden Gus, we come up with what I think is a killer design for the re'inforcment ring....

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
hahaha....nice...but wait til you see mine for the Maiden Gus, we come up with what I think is a killer design for the re'inforcment ring....

I'm sure it will be sick!! Kert does awesome work.

Keep me in mind for those slotted mags if you decide to get rid of them!!

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
do you know the headache story behind them? I think I got it figured out finally, but what a bastard fitting lugnuts...

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
No I didn't hear the story, but I can imagine I have a set of turbines at my dads and a set of slot mags on my 75 K10 the lug nuts must be made of gold by the cost of them

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
well I got the nuts cheap enough, but the chrome is already flaking off....the big deal was they are of course shank style, but there are 2 different sets of 2 wheels...look closely at the Maiden and you'll see the difference. One has a hub flange that is only about 1/2" thick, the other almost 1" thick. The lugnuts for the thinner type had to be cut down length wise or the flange wouldn't seat against the hub...then we had to cut the end off the nut to allow open threads because the inside of the nut didn't have enough threads, and it would bottom out inside before the wheel was tight...of course I found out all of this on the night before leaving for BB11....but it works now.
Anyhow, if I might hang on to 1 pair for the off road trailer build, but I would get rid of the other two (the two with the lugnut issues)

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm guessing the thicker ones are Western Wheels ? All my Shank type wheels are western and have a 1"thick mounting flange

Top Bottom