'89 R3500 Crew Cab 2wd to 4wd conversion & beyond

Started out with 2wd TBI350 with SM465 to current 4wd with 454, 700r4, NP241

Tnsejed

6al4v
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It's gonna be sweet! With the bed being totally fabbed you can get a great shock position for the rear springs. When I had my soft leaves I always wished I could fit a 2.5" shock. I'm of the opinion the 2.0 is just not enough shock. Just food for though when fabbing up your shock mounts and maybe leaving enough room for a bigger shock in the future.

nvrenuf

I grind my welds.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
@mrk5 I've never noticed the "pavementsucks" sticker before, that's a blast from the past! I didn't realize that site was still running until looking after I saw your pic.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Do you know what the cab to centerline of rear axle measurement will be after you do this?
Looks like 33" to 34".

It's gonna be sweet! With the bed being totally fabbed you can get a great shock position for the rear springs. When I had my soft leaves I always wished I could fit a 2.5" shock. I'm of the opinion the 2.0 is just not enough shock. Just food for though when fabbing up your shock mounts and maybe leaving enough room for a bigger shock in the future.
Yeah, I definitely want to shoot for vertical placement. I've been looking at 2.5" shocks for a while. I feel like from looks alone, 2.0 shocks seem too dinky. After all the rear stuff is settled, I really want to redo my front shock setup and would like to go 2.5" there too.

Unfortunately all of the current shock bushing sleeves are corroded to the bolts. Again I blame this on the crap they put on the roads in the winter. I'm definitely using more anti-seize than I used to, but I doubt I put any on the shock bolts thru the sleeves. They haven't been on the truck that long; 5 years tops.

@mrk5 I've never noticed the "pavementsucks" sticker before, that's a blast from the past! I didn't realize that site was still running until looking after I saw your pic.
I kinda just stole that. I put it on there so people know that I don't have a big lifted truck to look cool on the street. Funny thing is I get the most comments from that sticker. Not people that know the website, but just like the idea behind it.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too much pinion angle?

20210503_101250.jpg

I don't feel like I'm there, but more just curious I suppose.

When I get the rear driveshaft done, I'm going to base it off the pinion angle. My shaft has a CV at the support bearing.

2016-08-09 12.02.31.jpg

I'll locate the support bearing so that the pinion is pointed at the flange for the CV like you would if it was the transmission output on a 1-piece drive shaft.

I think my pinion question is more linked to driveshaft angles and lengths. I don't want the axle half of the driveshaft to be too short/steep.

I need to do more reading on this, just kinda thinking "out loud".

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Mine is higher than that. Not had any issues on mine but I do run a little more oil in it.

But I'd think more about going with a single shaft with a cv at the t-case. If only to eliminate the complexity of a two piece shaft and not as extreme tilt to the pinion angle. The length looks like it will fall between a standard K5 shaft and a reg cab short box shaft.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
A 1-piece shaft would still be longer than what's required on a long bed regular cab; the new wheelbase will be a 12-14" longer. I agree it would be simpler and potentially run smoother on the highway, but I'm really concerned about trail damage.

Mine is higher than that. Not had any issues on mine but I do run a little more oil in it.

But I'd think more about going with a single shaft with a cv at the t-case. If only to eliminate the complexity of a two piece shaft and not as extreme tilt to the pinion angle. The length looks like it will fall between a standard K5 shaft and a reg cab short box shaft.
That is the length I'm thinking of for the axle part of the 2-piece shaft. So the other half of the 2-piece shaft would be the difference in wheel base between mine and the shortbed regular cab pickup. In theory that's about 27".

nvrenuf

I grind my welds.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think the 2 pc set up with a rear short rear shaft for clearance is pretty cool. The truck in this video is like that, you can’t hardly see the rear shaft much less drag it on something. (I can’t easily find a pic so you just get a cool video to watch)

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I think the 2 pc set up with a rear short rear shaft for clearance is pretty cool. The truck in this video is like that, you can’t hardly see the rear shaft much less drag it on something. (I can’t easily find a pic so you just get a cool video to watch)

That video is like a slow motion burnout.

I like the 2 piece shaft because it gives me the option to change things up. With a 1 piece you're stuck with where the tcase output is. I can move the flange at the center support up or down as well as closer to or further away from the rear axle.

Top Bottom