CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Chalet's 72 Jimmy Thread

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chalet2506 submitted a new Build:

Chalet's 72 Jimmy Thread

View attachment 230712 Hey fellas. I've been spending some time reading through this forum lately, have been on CK5 a while but figured I'd start a thread to introduce myself. I've had the Chalet for a while and its a good little truck, but picked this up from NewMexK5 last weekend in to turn into a recreational, semi daily and weekend driver.

Nothing fancy planned for it right now. I've got the Chalet up on stands going through a suspension / drivetrain overhaul, so I'd like to wrap that up before I tackle anything major on the Jimmy. The rate I'm going, it will probably be next summer some time before I get done with that. The good news is, the Chalet won't fit in my shed at the house, so I have to keep it my shop at the office - which doesn't give me a lot of time to work on it. The Jimmy will fit in my shed once I modify a couple of things, so now I'll have me a little man cave and be able to do most of the work at the house.

The truck runs good, and the body is in really good shape. I haven't pulled the carpet, but crawled around under it and beat on it with a hammer, and the floor boards / tub seem to be solid pretty much rust free. The main things I want to concentrate on right now are getting the misc. fluid leaks fixed and a new dash pad and carpet installed in it. Eventually, I'm going to put a roll cage in it and upgrade the safety belts (I've got a wife and 3 daughters). Then probably look at fabricating my own soft top, fixing the rusted out rockers/quarter panel, and getting somebody to do a good paint job on it.

I'm not going to do a whole lot with the drivetrain except maybe a posi in the rear and 2" lift or so. I've already got one truck built for beating on, I'd like to keep this one fairly stock, on the street and in good shape.

I'll edit this thread and update it as I go.

LIST OF STUFF TO DO.

1. Get front end tightened up and alignment. Mount new tires all around.
2. Get the smoking engine fixed.
3. Fix the tranny leaks.
4. Get a roll cage built.
5. Mount the spare tire rack / install an equipment box in the rear where the old tire carrier was bolted to carry tools and such.
6. Fix the radio.
7. New lockouts / brakes / and wheel bearing up front.
8. Fix the rust.
9. Rhino line the interior
10. Get it painted
11. 1" body lift and poly body mounts.
12. Tires should be worn pretty good by now. 4" lift with shackle flip.
13. 35" Tires and possibly some chrome shiny wheels.

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool, but you gotta post more pics that that! Especially of the 30 year old sheetmetal that is still solid.

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I never put a build thread in the Garage on my other truck because there seems to be a lot of b.s. in them, plus I'm not much of a mechanic. But, it seems like you have got a tight little group in here.

It's a 72, yes I'll post up some more pics when I get a chance, and trust me - I'm already trying to keep the "might as well" thoughts from snowballing on me. I want this one to spend more time on the road than up in the air. :D

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick question here since its a Jimmy. I've ordered from LMC a couple of times, but they don't have a catalog for 1st generation Jimmy's. So, should I order parts from 67-72 GMC trucks, or from 67-72 Chevy Blazers? I mainly talking about dash and interior parts here, most of the mechanicals I plan on picking up at Napa or the Chevy dealer if I have to.

70jimmy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
Most of the parts are direct fits from Blazer to Jimmy. I use the LMC catalog because of the pics. I have ordered quite a bit from them. Only real place I have found a problem was the front fenders are different where they meet up with the grill.

Yukon Jack

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Glad to have you with us! You'll find the first gen guys are great and we really like trying to help each other out when we can. Definitely post more pics of your rig!

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new dash pad and wiper button for it today. This weekend I'm going to go ahead and pull all the old carpet out and just run it around with a bare floor for a while. That will allow me to check the actual condition of all the sheet metal.

Went to start it up after sitting since Sunday afternoon and the brand new battery is dead. I didn't leave anything turned on it, so it looks like I might have some kind of battery drain. I'll charge it back up then get a multi tester on it Sunday.

I've got a few questions already, and once I get a chance to take some pics I'll post em up. Probably will be either late Sunday or Monday before I get a chance.

jimbug

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Sweet Jimmy! I remember way back when..... All stock its so perty! Good luck on your build. If you ever plan on more lift I have a set of 6" Superlift rear springs that came off my Jimmy when I 4 linked it.

k2-k5

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I thought by Chalet you meant the camper version which I believe was a special dealer option. Nice rig anyway.

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is my Chalet, hence the screen name. :wink1: Currently undergoing 3/4 ton swap with 4.10's and a Detroit, new springs and surplus HMMVW wheels and tires. Ought to be a smokin little brush running, coyote chasing rig when I'm done. I'm only going about 2" lift on it, so probably will have to cut some more out of the fenders. There's some more pics in the link in my sig.

2566631_1_full.jpg

Back on Topic.

It's been raining off and on around here and I noticed the carpet around the tailgate was wet. Pulled the all three(original plus 2 layers of pile carpet added by a po) layers of carpet out of the tub expecting to find a bunch of rust. But, just the screw holes have a little rust around them, no big deal. I guess it doesn't rain much in Vegas or Carlsbad, NM. Pulled the carpet up on the front and found some pretty good rust under the door plates, but kind of expected that the way the rockers look. Floor pans look pretty good. Decided that what was under there could wait a while and put the carpet in the cab back down for now.

I busted the LCD on my camera while I was crawling around under the truck, so I got to get find my wifes camera to get some more pics.

Does anybody know where I can get a factory type tire carrier that goes behind the seat? I've googled it and looked through LMC's stuff, but the only kind I can find are the kind the bolt into pickup beds.

Edit: Also, could use a stock rear, chrome bumper in good shape if anyone's got one.

Last edited:

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pics w/questions

1st pic. What the heck is supposed to go there? Inside top of the windshield frame on both driver and passenger door frame it looks like there used to be some kind of bracket bolted that's now gone.

2nd and third pics. Rust in the tub. The majority of what looks like rust is just dirt, old carpet glue, or a little bit of surface rust.

4th pic. I don't think that the factory mirror. Both sides are like that and rusty, so I'm going to put new ones. I'd like to go OE type mirrors, not the later model Ford's that I've read a few threads about.

5th pic. Original owner decided he needed an RV vent in the rear of the top. I can see where it might come in handy, but what's dumb is its put in backwards so that if you crank it up, the wind is going to tear it off going down the road. That's going to go. Top should be an easy patch, don't know how I'm goint to the bottom to get it to match and not look like its been patched.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Few More

Sorry about the thumbnails, but I'm at the house and forgot my photobucket login.

1st and 2nd pic. Factory tire carrier? I think not, going to take that off and try to find an OE one that goes behind the seat.

3rd Pic. Fiberglass is cracked around the rear window hinges. I didn't notice that til tonight. Will take a look at it down the road to see if I can repair it. Probably ought to do that before I spend the time taking out the RV vent.

4th and 5th. Any idea what those brackets are for? There's 2 on each side and I'm guessing luggage rack. If I could find a rack to fit them, I might leave them. If not, they're going to go as well.

Spent a little time cleaning some superfluos electronic gizmos out of the dash. There was a couple of controllers for those 120 different sound horns, FM signal Booster, CB radio bracket with plug wired in, and a radio noise reducer. Got it all dewired and pulled except where the booster is wired into the radio, I'll get that next time. THe fuse panel is covered in greasy/dirt goo. I've got some electronic, plastic safe aerosol cleaner around here somewhere and will hose that down as well. I'm thinking once all that crud is out of the dash, maybe my battery drain issue will go away.

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

70jimmy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
Brackets on the back appear to be for tire carrier, the one on the pass side and top center of tailgate.

Brackets toward top of rear hatch area I would say rear deflector.

The first pic of the top front corners where the door meets the top is a rubber piece with metal inside of it that attaches to the top with the 3 rusty screws you see, then on top of the door is another rubber piece that also has a bit of a drip rail to it. I know you can get the rubber piece for the door from LMC but I haven't checked on the other.

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Drip rail deflectors. I'll put those on the list for the next order. Thanks, thought maybe the guy had some cb antennae's or something like that up there at one time.

This pic is of the side of the truck, its hard to tell because of the angle, but I don't have a lot of room in there to maneuver.

attachment.php

2 bases on each side with set screws, so I'm guessing luggage type rack, it'll come off as well.

Top Bottom