CharlesC83

K10
Premium Member
Reaction score
My truck runs great so far. Very happy with this system. I have done no tuning just driving around, my starts at 30 degrees have been decent. My plan is to plug in the engine warmer when its super cold if I'm gonna drive it. And it's parked at home or near power supply. Just from what I've seen in this thread can happen if it's arctic out.

I bought a 21$ phone holder/charger from Amazon. I did not expect it to be this good for 21$ it has little motorized arms that grab the phone, hopefully it lasts a little while. You press a button and it secures the phone in. It's actually metal, ha. Well, the arms and body are metal at least. the rest is plastic. 20210303_080732.jpg

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
Block heaters on gas are for the great cold north . . Or diesel .

And new gm is not even using block heater until 5* - 0* temp outside .

Years ago i tried a block heater on my first truck and didnt notice hardle a difference .

CharlesC83

K10
Premium Member
Reaction score
Block heaters on gas are for the great cold north . . Or diesel .

And new gm is not even using block heater until 5* - 0* temp outside .

Years ago i tried a block heater on my first truck and didnt notice hardle a difference .
I'm aware of all that. I'm a GM tech. I put one on this thing anyway. I wanted it. I do get what you are saying and not arguing.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
My truck runs great so far. Very happy with this system. I have done no tuning just driving around, my starts at 30 degrees have been decent. My plan is to plug in the engine warmer when its super cold if I'm gonna drive it. And it's parked at home or near power supply. Just from what I've seen in this thread can happen if it's arctic out.

I bought a 21$ phone holder/charger from Amazon. I did not expect it to be this good for 21$ it has little motorized arms that grab the phone, hopefully it lasts a little while. You press a button and it secures the phone in. It's actually metal, ha. Well, the arms and body are metal at least. the rest is plastic. View attachment 370423
I've noticed you have used license plates for several purposes. :D

Need a link for the phone holder. :deal:

I'm still leaning towards the block heater in part because I drive 4 blocks and I'm on a 65mph highway. I would like to get a little more pre-warming of the motor before I leave the driveway. Plus it would make the starts a little easier.

CharlesC83

K10
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed you have used license plates for several purposes. :D

Need a link for the phone holder. :deal:

I'm still leaning towards the block heater in part because I drive 4 blocks and I'm on a 65mph highway. I would like to get a little more pre-warming of the motor before I leave the driveway. Plus it would make the starts a little easier.

I used the lower radiator hose warmer made by Katz, lots of people hate this style I have had success with them especially this brand. I did not use the freeze plug type. I only use it when I know I'll drive it the next morning and if its going to be really cold, I even use a timer on the cord so it on turns on about 4 hrs before in gonna drive. It's mostly for the warmer coolant and instant defrost.
'
I see the charger went backup to 29$. It was 25$ last Saturday with an additional 8% off coupon.

Last edited:

CharlesC83

K10
Premium Member
Reaction score
The amount of license plates covering the drivers floor board hole is pretty bad, but looks "neat".

There is still a 3$ off coupon on that holder/charger:cool:

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Update on fuel mileage. Mine has seemed to settle in at 13.6 mpg on the last few tanks. That's a solid 2.5 mpg better than the carb. Curious if it will change much with the summer months. Warmer starting temps might be offset by running A/C.

CharlesC83

K10
Premium Member
Reaction score
Update on fuel mileage. Mine has seemed to settle in at 13.6 mpg on the last few tanks. That's a solid 2.5 mpg better than the carb. Curious if it will change much with the summer months. Warmer starting temps might be offset by running A/C.
I have no calculations yet on my MPG improvement, but the fuel gauge is seriously dropping slower and this is the first tank. It's also nice to not be ring washing my new engine on the choke circuit.

A/C?! Modern Luxuriousness. I'm Jealous.

I'm gonna toss my new ORD tube doors on soon and I have my School Bus Metal cooling fan pointed at my head. I'm only a sunroof away from Redneck A/C.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I have no calculations yet on my MPG improvement, but the fuel gauge is seriously dropping slower and this is the first tank. It's also nice to not be ring washing my new engine on the choke circuit.

A/C?! Modern Luxuriousness. I'm Jealous.

I'm gonna toss my new ORD tube doors on soon and I have my School Bus Metal cooling fan pointed at my head. I'm only a sunroof away from Redneck A/C.
That's in my C10 which is my daily driver so AC is a big plus. The crew cab has the same AC set up as you with the fans, but it doesn't have a PF4.

CharlesC83

K10
Premium Member
Reaction score
My truck will burn the 38's on pavement just matting it in 2nd gear from a stop or rolling slow. It hits the shift light quickly with the 5.13's. But, it burns them off. granted it is light in the back. It would not do this with the carb. Not without some clutch action.

Pro Flo 4 winning. Zero tuning from me still. Just driving.

That is all. Happy Friday CK5er's.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I've been geeking out with the TPS a little. I assume it's because the truck is shaped like a brick, but I've noticed getting behind another vehicle makes a huge difference in the TPS % for a given speed or vice versa. For example, I can hold 20% TPS and run about 65mph, but if a vehicle gets in front of me speed can jump as high as 69mph with the same 20% TPS. And I don't even need to be that close for it to make a difference, maybe as much as 4 car lengths behind.

Just fun to play around with that kinda stuff.

Chevk587

Whiskey bent & Hell bound
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Top Bottom