CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
sreidmx submitted a new Build:

Fortify Offroad Mission Race Blazer

@secutright myself and @retroblazer had this half cocked idea to pull the old class 3 desert sled out of hibernation and bring her up to snuff for the next racing season.
We are still working out the details on which events were committing to but there is one sure thing.
This baby is gonna fly again!

View attachment 220404

So starts our joint effort to restore the race truck and get all systems back up and race ready!
First order of business was to pickup the race truck, so we bought a new trailer on Thursday night and drove out from Apple Valley to Gustine!!
View attachment 220407
Since @secutright is a class A licensed dude it allowed us to get a trailer that would tow pretty much anything we will ever need, which would include the race truck and the Prerunner for those Baja races.

I didn't get any pictures on the way because it was dark and well.. it was dark. But not knowing where we headed the gps had us navigating to possibly the only location in California that has properly named streets.

View attachment 220409
This was a good omen, and as you can see it took a while to traverse the 350+ miles!

We made it to bed around 1-1:30 am, I'll tell you that @retroblazer (Chris) and I have talked quite a bit on the phone but Scott and him had never met nor spoken. Chris and his wife were very accommodating and had rooms setup for us to stay in, before hitting the hay, we talked about old war stories from way back when, Chris has been around all sorts of racing, I could quite literally listen to these stories all day and not get bored.
So far this trip has been compeletely unexpectedly awesome.

View attachment 220410

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We got up around 6:30-7 and headed out to the barn after some awesome coffee, presented with the old girl in a mid axle swap state we jumped right in as we're somewhat pressed for time.
Chris had the spare axle already setup and ready to go in, the three of us slung it onto the leaf springs (spring under) and bolted it in. Mind you we were just trying to get it into a rollable state.
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG
We had a few hold ups for a ball joint, so Chris and Scott headed out to get another joint and some other parts while I stayed behind and finished bolting the good knuckle and hub onto the truck. I got the u bolts on and tight along with the rest of that side. Finished up pretty quick. This gave me some time to reflect upon this latest adventure.
I stood there looking at this truck that I had quite literally been following online since 2007, I have an account at class3racing.org and when I got out of high school wanted to be a Prerunner guy like the rest of my buddies. Chris has one of the most recent efforts in regards to Chevy blazers and class 3. I am still amazed that somehow in a crazy turn of luck it has led me and these two guys to this point. What are the chances???

IMG_0516.JPG
This is the view outside the shop, seriously how good that be any better?
This is a walnut orchard, I guess too many walnuts made Chris nutty! Or maybe that was be race gas?!! Who knows! ;)
IMG_0545.JPG
The guys got back and we got the rest of the hub and knuckle bolted on, Pete showed up just in time to help us get the blazer onto the trailer.
IMG_0518.JPG
Sorry didn't get any shots with Pete but he's a cool dude with a great personality just like his dad!
Once loaded up we checked the clock and it was damn near 12:00! We gotta go! Trying to not be on the road super late we got outa dodge quick! Fueled up and roosted tail home.
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
Every place we stopped for food or fuel someone would either stare or ask us about the blazer. It's what I'd assume being a celebrity was like.. sure was cool to pick this beast up.
We're goin to be completely tearing this down for paint, and prep.. stay tuned big things on the horizon!
-Steve

retroblazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 220446 We're race whores. We'll race any series that takes us. We can race the Vintage Class in BITD for half of the usual entry fee. There is a Jeep and a Bronco running in the pre-82 class., that would be fun to race. I might be able to drag a few more of the class 3 guys in to do a SNORE race. The Moss Bros. are running their Bronco in the 2017 Baja 1000. We will be there for sure to race them. One last time to finally beat them !!

image.jpg

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Good morning guys! We'll try to maintain a steady stream of old school pics and stories until we start the tear down.
IMG_0556.JPG

Baja, who doesn't love the Baja, it embodies everything an offroad racer might want or need, high speed, attrition, silt.
We're committed to getting this to the 50th Baja 1k!
We'll be recruiting help as well so if you are interested please contact myself, @secutright or @retroblazer
Thanks!

FOR MUD

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know you probably don't know till you tear it down.....But what are some of the major things that need to be done? And what's the time frame?

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Crazy day!!
We will come up with a cool shirt and maybe you guys could help us design it!!

So the frame is boxed front to back, it has a 550hp 400+ ci sbc. A victor jr single plane, what appears to be a modified Holley with extended floats, billet base plate and who knows what else. Not sure what heads or cam, th400 built by culhane, a cone 9 inch 40spline full floater along with a D44 wide track Jeep front axle heavily modified for the abuse, Reid knuckles, 5/8 wheel studs and bead locks.
There is a lot we don't know yet so I'll keep you up to date with discoveries :)

We have to completely pull the truck down to almost nothing so, yea gonna be naked by the time I am done with it.. we all know I know how to take a truck apart.
Btw @retroblazer sent me a video of it running.. sounds totally bad ass and pissed off :) my kinda truck.
Oh and Black Widow is coming sat to check it out and there is a decent chance of them sponsoring us!! Fingers crossed baby!!!

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know you probably don't know till you tear it down.....But what are some of the major things that need to be done? And what's the time frame?
So, to address the time frame, the Mint is in March, that's the first race and we need to have this spic and span and literally magazine pretty, were not changing the setup because if Moss and his bronco show up @retroblazer needs a rig he is used to so if we change anything bad stuff could happen. So remove as much of the paint on the frame as possible, repaint once crack checked.
Get shocks all apart and re zinc coated by Bilstein.
Reseal and check axles, magnaflux hubs, steering box and whatever else cast and stressed.
Repair any race fixes..
reseal motor, trans tcase etc.
Replace worn electrical switches, check harness for chafing or wear, broken wires etc,
replace any rubber anything that appears questionable.
Check fuel cells, pumps, mounts etc.
Part of the issue is the truck has sat for many years so some of this is really important to not discover on race day. Annnnd shake down runs are really really important.

Top Bottom