holley sniper - V - fitechefi ---- UPDATE : holley sniper has ARIVED

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by sweetk30, Feb 8, 2017.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Build(s):
    holley sniper unit

fitechefi unit

both of these units seem real good and same price points .

I do think the holley might have a few extra points over the fitech in the same price point.

anyone care to comment on them ?

2. Greg Ducato

Greg Ducato 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Having had a few aftermarket efi systems over the years I feel that the best $1000 EFI system comes with a 5.3 LS engine attached to it

Larry, 76zimmer and Kain like this.
  3. skunked

skunked in the garage Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    @mrk5 had a similar discussion a month or two ago with some good info in it comparing these two systems and a factory TBI setup.

here's another https://ck5.com/forums/threads/which-after-market-efi.327939/

My only experience is with the FiTech systems retrofitted on older 50-70's cars, one on a pretty stock 350 without timing control and the other on a warmed up sbc stroker with a locked out distributor and timing control, both using inline fuel pumps. Overall we are very happy with the systems, they do take some tweaking initially however the tech's at FiTech have been helpful through the process.

Couple other CK5 users with FiTech
    @ekajkrats @wetoolowdingbangow @F.S.F.W

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    ekajkrats likes this.
  4. Smokinthehippies

Smokinthehippies 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I thought the sniper was Holley building their own knock off after fitech wouldn't sell to them. Feels a bit copyish to me

5. sweetk30

Build(s):
    true but what good does that do me on a 454 bbc ?

and I will read up those other links .

and holley is prob butt hurt over the fact someone made a good product at 1/2 the price of there stuff so they tossed out a system almost the same .

I am still leaning to fitech . . .

skunked and Smokinthehippies like this.
  6. Greg Ducato

I have a complete Holley Terminator TBI system that I tried on my 383 for about 1000 miles I will sell you for the cost of one of those lesser units, I think the skills of my tuner were the big problem with this one, that and an undetected vacuum leak at the manifold.

ekajkrats likes this.
  7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    The one thing I liked about the Sniper over the FiTech at the same price point is the Sniper would control 2 fans where the FiTech would only do 1.

I did find one forum post on a hot rod site that claimed the Sniper system ran better than the FiTech it replaced. It makes me a little nervous that FiTech has had delays on product delivery in the past year. They are also having trouble with their fuel command center. My concern is they are growing faster than they can support and I'm afraid their customer service is going to suffer if it isn't already. One thing with Holley is they already have the "infrastructure" to support high volume.

On the plus side for FiTech, there are a lot of users out there to provide feedback and lessons learned.

8. skunked

Build(s):
    FWIW I've never had a problem getting a hold of a tech at FiTech. However I did have problem finding out when my order would ship but that was back when there was a huge backorder going.

I dealt with Holley concerning a reflash of an ECU last year for one of their systems and the tech was an ass. Went FiTech shortly after.

9. ekajkrats

ekajkrats 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am one of the fitech suckers. It's been great for me. Cranked up the first time I bolted it on. I'm also running an in-line pump, and haven't had an issue.

But because of no issues (I mean beyond basic tuning) I've never reached out to Fi-tech for support. My guess, from joining a fi-tech group on facebook, is for tech support, they seem pretty available, but if you are trying to return or get warranty work there can be a little bit of a hassle. That being said, the group I joined is mostly people seeking help, so you don't get a ton of the "how easy and reliable it is" but more of the "I'm having this or that problem." Most of which boils down to problems from the install or existing problems with the engine itself, not problems from the fi-tech.

Now that I've said how great it is for me, here are my biggest issues I've seen personally. The temp sender is crap, just buy a $15 ACDelco 213-928 (I'll confirm this is the right one when I try and install it Friday) and get the right temps off the bat. And be aware that it likes to do a prime shot for easy start up. This isn't a biggie, as it can work most of the time, but I have noticed that it can cause my engine to flood or start too rich so I have to open up the throttle blades for more air while cranking. Easy solution is to remove the prime shot completely and add fuel to the crank.

Like @mrk5 said, there seem to be some growing pains. Seen first as not being able to keep up with demand, and now as some customers not getting their returns/replacements promptly. But also, as pointed out, there is a pretty big community that has jumped in and is pretty helpful.

If I had need of one again, would I buy it again? Yes, I would. But as also mentioned, I wouldn't try the FCC, as there seems to be better more reliable options out there.

-Jacob

10. sweetk30

Build(s):
    my plan is efi tank for the truck and efi sender with 60-65psi vortec pump on it . then the fitech I linked has built in regulator .

ekajkrats and skunked like this.
  11. sweetk30

Build(s):
    so I called fitech tech help today .

seemed a bit info pushy on some but tad vauge on other . but he knew what he was saying .

58psi is there fuel pressure spec required . so with this I should be good with 96 c3500 fuel pump for vortec engine on tbi sender in tbi tank .

also I asked what safe cam range . he said should be no problem with min 8"vac and or 110 Lsa on cam . has done down to 4" vac with tunning over the self learn .

so my cam choice was close after talking with the comp cam guy . with my combo he said 1 bigger would give me good performance for the 454 . k11-413-8 xtream energy retro fit hydro roller kit . 1200-5200 rpm main power range .

nvrenuf and ekajkrats like this.
  12. sweetk30

Build(s):
    reason I am going roller cam is for free power / todays oils don't have the special stuff in it as much unless you buy fancy stuff / rest of the system will be roller timing and rocker set I already have.

so the roller cam cost a bit more up front but I think better in end for drop in and go and more free power.

FAB454 and Big Ray like this.
  13. skunked

Build(s):
    I don't see any issues with the info you've stated, all proven to work.

14. sweetk30

Build(s):
    now to save up the cash for the retro fit roller cam kit / fitech / usshift tranny controller / ord 205 vss mod.

skunked likes this.
  15. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hi k30,
    I'd like to hear more about your camshaft selection and any other parts you plan to change (intake.. valves.. headers?)
    What type of tq and hp are you expecting?
    What year is your BBC?

16. sweetk30

Build(s):
    @Ned Kelly
    78 454 motor 60kmiles ran good on drive home other than flat cam exhaust lobes.

when I called comp tech line I gave him all my specs / truck info & use and he suggested 1 bigger than I picked and he said this one should do just fine and work well with other upgrades later on down the road I might do . https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k11-413-8

781 stock heads & comp cam full roller rockers.
    edelbrock rpm air-gap intake I already have
    hp/tq = what ever she going to make .
    5.13 gears and at most 35inch tire . getting 4l80-e tranny and 203/205 doubler.
    going to be work truck / trailer puller / plow truck .

with this combo it should do just fine.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  17. Greg Ducato

REAL fine :D

18. Ned Kelly

Yep, that's going to be REAL good.

I have the 262 H10 cam as listed here, in a basically stock 454:
    http://www.cranecams.com/114-119.pdf
    Old school, but as it says brute torque at low rpm and a great daily driver (Th400/4.10/39.5" TSL). Very happy with it. It was done 20yrs ago, and still serves well.

I have had thoughts on upgrades on my other 454, so I will be interested to hear in your results...and possibly duplicate it.:)

What shift controller do you plan to use with the 4L80e?

19. sweetk30

Build(s):
    ha ha ha don't wait on me .

if I bump the power any later on it would be slight dome pistions for a comp ratio bump over stock .

oh ya I forgot full roller rockers also for this engine.

us shift controller / ( old name opti shift ) they have been around for years and lots of good reply/feedback on them . and there newest upgrade to the unit is 4 different shift programs ! ! ! great for 4wd low/4wdlow-low and still shift correctly. plus they said 19.95 pig tail tee unit for the tps sensor on the fitech and there unit will work just fine with it .

20. Ned Kelly

No worries, if you don't get it done this week, next week is fine.:rolleyes: