Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hot rod 6.2 diesel.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Vombrown, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Vombrown

Vombrown Mountain Man Premium Member

Build(s):
    In measuring the stock 350 mounts would set the 6.2 much higher in the engine bay, about 6-8" higher. I just removed the stand offs from the 84 and located them on the 72 frame 3" closer to the core support than the 350. It will make things tighter on the front but not a serious amount. This will also give me more clearance in the back to access transmission bolts and whatnot. The crossmember on the 84, I don't think will be used. I will most likely fab up a tube crossmember to tie them together once the engine is mocked up in place for final fit. I had to slightly Doctor the 84 frame mounts as they were 1/2" to tall to fit within the 72 frame. Couple cuts on the cut off wheel and it was handled. The 84 has a bottom bolt flange on the back of the mount, that is what I cutoff. Retaining the two to the top of the frame, one on the side of the frame and then the two bolt holes on the front of the mount that I will create the cross member for. All in all it was an easy swap.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. Vombrown

Build(s):
    On a side note, I can't remember which years 6.5 have the correct angle to run the divided HUMMWV intake manifold with the crossover. That is the intake manifold I plan to run so I need to source a set of heads that will work with it. Hopefully getting the larger pre combustion chambers in the process. I will be building them with roller rockers and a better valve job....just can't remember what years they were.

The plan with that is to throw away the stock crossover on them and fabricate tube intakes for each side. They would either come together into one larger inlet or have two smaller inlets with a cross pipe to equalize pressure across the intake if one turbo is producing more than the other. Not saying it's going to happen it just could, especially in the tuning phase.

3. superbuickguy

superbuickguy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Interesting stuff.... for those who don't know, the frame with the bend on the passenger side over the fuel rails is the 72 ;) I have a 2 wd version of that....

I've never messed with an HUMMWV motor - I'd like to because I want to run 24 volts for my house system on the 'burb I'm building and I need the 4,250 belt lower pulley (I exaggerate, probably more like 4,000) so I can run a 24 volt alternator (dual belt).

4. Vombrown

Build(s):
    For the interest of continuity, the GM 60 degree heads (optimizer and GM van) heads were 96 and up. Only used on the van application and HUMMWV optimizer 6.5....apparently.

5. KirsL

KirsL Diesel maniac Premium Member

Yep you need to find a van (think school bus) to pull the heads from.

6. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    How's the engine build going?