Ideas for BB18

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by Blazooki, Sep 18, 2017.

1. r3dd0g

r3dd0g 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I believe I still have one of Dickeys shafts in my rear end :smile:

blazinzuk and 4door99 like this.
  2. Justin V

Justin V What? Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
  3. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront Being right all of the time is exhausting Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    98 post before this thread derailed. Has to be a record.

4. 4door99

4door99 Not A Jeeper Club Member Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Continued: what the hell is that in your avatar??

5. r3dd0g

Build(s):
    Looks to be a trailer queen

6. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront Being right all of the time is exhausting Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
  7. Blazooki

Blazooki Five-O Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

getting this thread back on track.....You left your CCBoJ (Concealed Carry Bottle of Jack) wedged in Scotts truck bumper. We found it the next morning..it was 3/4 full

4door99 and Bent77 like this.
  8. Blazooki

Blazooki Five-O Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I only bring this up because in years passed..you would have been found wedged in Scotts truck bumper and the flask would have been empty.

9. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    I think it is under Scott's tool box now.

10. r3dd0g

Build(s):
    Yes, there was a strategic placement of the jack bottle somewhere in Scott's truckbed.

11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I will be a noob at BB18. But I'm not a noob to wheeling in general. Getting the truck running prior to any big off road run just is smart. Even after being able to drive my truck for almost a year we still took test run the week prior to our desert trip just to make sure our stuff was ready. Out of 3 trucks one found loose bolts where the front driveshaft attached to the t-case. He bailed and went home to fix his stuff. I found my hot stalling issue and we formed a plan to fix that week. Unfortunately the new fuel pump we put in ended up not fixing the problem but that's another issue altogether. Since we camped, it gave us a chance to check our gear and figure out if we forgot anything. Anyway, the validation run was very helpful prior to spending a week out on the rocks.

Communication on the trail is critical. I've got a pretty good CB setup and have pushed those I wheel with to get one too. It just makes it easier if we get out of sight of each other. I carry a SWR meter in my console so I'm willing to help someone get dialed in if they don't have the tool to do so themselves.

One thing that I like about a run like this, would be that I drive my rig to it. Granted my drive from southern CO is quite a bit less than guys that drove in from LA, TX, CA, ID, AZ or other states, but it's a good drive right through the heart of the Rockies. In other words it's a validation run by itself. I know some trailer because driving some rigs a few hundred miles without doors or a windshield might be a bit overkill. But those with more streetable rigs that can drive could. It also changes your outlook on how to drive on the trail too. If your rig has to get you back home one tends not to beat it like a rented mule on the rocks. I don't remember who's truck it was, but there was a picture of a dash with a sticker on it with the statement "remember you have to drive this home" or something like that as a reminder.

I've been "that guy" taking a questionable ride out on the trail and over-exceeding it and my capabilities as a driver. My lack of truck and experience cost me and my group an extra 4 hours on a trail that should only take an hour to do. Plus we broke my buddy's winch in the process of extracting my busted truck. I learned a couple of lessons, don't over estimate my own ability or my truck. Make sure my ride is in good working order. Plus the error cost me $$$ in getting a new rear driveshaft made.

Nobody wants to be "that guy" but if you got your ride proven with miles put on it and it's in good working order, you can limit the potential of being that guy. Stuff happens and weird stuff can break without warning. But stuff that's loose, not greased or just poorly maintained is preventable.

As far as navigation is concerned, I've got an ipad with a couple of different forms of nav apps on it. But I'd like to get a book like the one noted earlier. Trail guides with GPS waypoints tie the two forms together. It really helps if you've not been on a trail before but can see a trail landmark and have an understanding of where one is.

Prep is everything. I'll be doing so to mine for sure. Can't wait.

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I just wanna say. After all the referral to " that guy" come to blazer bash. Prep to the best of your ability. Run the trails.

But if you end up being " that guy" listen and be humble. Don't be a douchebag. Don't brag on your 500 HP motor that won't run right.

We ( I say this as a collective) would love for blazer bash to have zero breakage, no delays, and perfect 70° weather.

But it just ain't gonna happen. Be as prepped as possible. And on this forum be open and brutally honest. Most likely you will get 4 or 5 guys saying come anyway we will help you.

13. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I have a great idea for BB18

How about I show up.

Yeah, that would be awesome for me.

14. r3dd0g

Build(s):
    I took my thoroughly tested S-10 on a shakedown run 2 weeks before BB. I lost a fuel pump, it was an AC Delco unit that had only been in there for a year or two... I took it on a follow up run and lost another crank sensor. Both of those issues were fixed and fixed prior to the run, but now my t-cases leak like crazy and I blew the front ring and pinion... Plus the frame cracked more (I'm so gentle on it, I don't understand...).

The big thing is, outside of a cut sidewall, none of my issues affected anyone else but myself and my wife.

skunked likes this.
  15. ChrisPerry

ChrisPerry Dreaming of links Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Hey, the ring and pinion cost me a tow rig for the afternoon. :haha: lol

skunked and blazinzuk like this.
  16. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    And I had to convince you to open the cover. I felt bad.

17. DickeysK5

DickeysK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

:whistle:

18. offgridoffroad

offgridoffroad Wrenching to wheel Premium Member

Having just gotten back from wheeling in Moab again this weekend... This was our 2nd BB. 30 years of wheeling various rigs in Moab countless times, Fullsize Invasion runs, we wheeled all the way down the Baja etc etc. My first breakdown where I couldn't drive out - ever - on the last day. It sucked and wasn't due to negligence. We did't want anyone waiting on us, glad the group went on (to 2 more break downs apparently), and definitely can't thank everyone who helped enough. We would have paid for a recovery rig, or gone home and got our other rig to tow ourselves out. Yes, s*it happens, it's a part of wheeling. All 4 breakdowns on Crack n Back participated in BB16 at the least. On my very first BB trail run, I adjusted a carburetor for someone, helped fix a driveshaft. Other times we have been the tow rig - and we have all been the newbie. Working together is what group runs are for and about, in our opinion, not to blow through a run to get to dinner on time in town. It not a competition, but it's not always fun either. Maybe some who think they have outgrown this group should organize their own elitist run, or run the KOH. So think I'm going to stop here on that... Smaller groups would be good. Safety is #1 and reliability is VERY important. Maybe when you sign up for a trail there is an "I agree to the following terms..." which includes tech specs, safety and so on.

19. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

DITTO!

GWeakland620 likes this.
  20. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I'm all in.

David

offgridoffroad likes this.