Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

L18 8.1L swap resource thread

Discussion in 'The Engine Bay' started by Larry, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I agree, that is a good item to add for those of us not using external oil coolers. Just this past weekend someone was asking me what Allen head was the correct size to remove the oil filter adapter in order to get it out of the way to pluck out the bypass valve. Do you recall what size Allen head it was?

Thanks for the added info!

2. Team208Motorsports

Team208Motorsports Its Magic Bitch Vendor

1/2" i believe.

Larry likes this.
  3. shady

shady 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    248,000 miles too much for a running donor on an 8.1?

Edit: it's $2500 for the whole truck

4. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    That is a lot of miles, but I think I mentioned my company sold 1,242 2007 Model Year Workhorse chassis to UPS with 8.1L’s. Many of those now have well over 200K and 300K and still going strong.

$2500 would be way too much for the engine but for the whole truck that isn’t too bad although I would try to do a little better on the price. For reference, a buddy and I scored this one last year for $1000 albeit it was 2wd with a 6.0L. We made a ton of money parting this thing out. This one had 368K on it. The 6.0L had a plugged up PCV and was blowing oil out of the dip stick. Planned on using the engine for a 4x4 Van project but my buddy abandon that project and sold the engine/4L80E (he has a difficult time staying focused on pretty much anything). The profit from this truck would have more than paid for the 6.0L swap and most of the van build costs. Ah, well. It was his build, not mine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn’t much left when we were done. Between selling every bit and piece I bet we quadrupled our money.
    [​IMG]

It was a shame to throw away such a clean body but you can’t keep everything
    [​IMG]

5. shady

shady 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Yeah I've been thinking that's a lot of miles... Wife was kinda pissy when I said I might buy it lol. That 6.0 truck you bought was a $5-6k truck around here all day. Wouldn't have even had to wait to sell it probably lol. If I found a 6.0/4l80e truck around here for $1000 I'd buy it that day..... Cheapest I've found is $3500 with 250,000 miles. That's why I was excited about that 8.1 when I seen it. Cheapest 8.1 truck I found before that one had 200+ and was all rusted n dented for $5000.