L18 8.1L swap resource thread

Discussion in 'The Engine Bay' started by Larry, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I agree, that is a good item to add for those of us not using external oil coolers. Just this past weekend someone was asking me what Allen head was the correct size to remove the oil filter adapter in order to get it out of the way to pluck out the bypass valve. Do you recall what size Allen head it was?

Thanks for the added info!

2. Team208Motorsports

Team208Motorsports Its Magic Bitch Vendor

1/2" i believe.

Larry likes this.
  3. shady

shady 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    248,000 miles too much for a running donor on an 8.1?

Edit: it's $2500 for the whole truck

4. Larry

That is a lot of miles, but I think I mentioned my company sold 1,242 2007 Model Year Workhorse chassis to UPS with 8.1L’s. Many of those now have well over 200K and 300K and still going strong.

$2500 would be way too much for the engine but for the whole truck that isn’t too bad although I would try to do a little better on the price. For reference, a buddy and I scored this one last year for $1000 albeit it was 2wd with a 6.0L. We made a ton of money parting this thing out. This one had 368K on it. The 6.0L had a plugged up PCV and was blowing oil out of the dip stick. Planned on using the engine for a 4x4 Van project but my buddy abandon that project and sold the engine/4L80E (he has a difficult time staying focused on pretty much anything). The profit from this truck would have more than paid for the 6.0L swap and most of the van build costs. Ah, well. It was his build, not mine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn’t much left when we were done. Between selling every bit and piece I bet we quadrupled our money.
    [​IMG]

It was a shame to throw away such a clean body but you can’t keep everything
    [​IMG]

5. shady

shady 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Yeah I've been thinking that's a lot of miles... Wife was kinda pissy when I said I might buy it lol. That 6.0 truck you bought was a $5-6k truck around here all day. Wouldn't have even had to wait to sell it probably lol. If I found a 6.0/4l80e truck around here for $1000 I'd buy it that day..... Cheapest I've found is $3500 with 250,000 miles. That's why I was excited about that 8.1 when I seen it. Cheapest 8.1 truck I found before that one had 200+ and was all rusted n dented for $5000.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Build(s):
    Is there a good resource documenting swapping between 5.3/6.0 and 8.1L engines? It seems for GMT800-series swapping between would be much easier than into a square body, but I haven't seen the basic questions answered on any of the GM truck forums. Examples:
    • Can the 8.1L run on a 6.0L PCM via a calibration change or does the crank sensor require either a) wiring change or b) PCM swap.
    • Can the whole 8.1L harness and PCM plug into a 2500 with 4L80-E?
    • 8.1's were available without the body lift, so the radiator must be shorter than the Duramax rad, but is it the same as the 6.0 rad?
    • What's required between BCM and PCM to sync up the VIN?
    • Does 8.1 flexplate work with 6.0 torque converter?
    Likewise, there may be guys with 5.3/6.0 in their square body interested in swapping to 8.1, which should be much easier than going from old SBC/BBC.

7. Larry

I can’t answer that but I can tell you there is a Facebook group called “8.1 8100 496 Vortec Info Swap Classifieds” that have many guys that have swapped 8.1’s into everything from 1940’s cars to Dodge Ram Chargers to late model Suburban’s and everything in between. Especially, the group Admin, Ed Coss, could answer many of your questions has he has swapped 8.1s into GMT400s and 800’s but I’ll take a stab at your questions as well.
    • Can the 8.1L run on a 6.0L PCM via a calibration change or does the crank sensor require either a) wiring change or b) PCM swap.
      Yes, the 8.1L ECM is not specific to just the 8.1L. Same 12200411 ECM used in the same generation 4.8 on up to 6.0 engines. The calibrations are obviously different though. Yes, the wires inside the CAM and Crank sensor connectors must be swapped. Not swap cam for crank but the wires inside those sensor connectors need to be swapped.
      Yes, for the most part… I would venture to say yes with some minor rework but if a vehicle already has a period correct 4.8 up on to 6.0 the original harness could easily be reworked by the cam/crank repin and possibly extending a few leads. In all reality, the Howell 8.1L harness is nothing more than a same generation LS harness but with longer leads and cam/crank repin. Again, Ed Coss on that FB page could confirm.
    • 8.1's were available without the body lift, so the radiator must be shorter than the Duramax rad, but is it the same as the 6.0 rad?
      Good question for the FB group or go do some research on Spectra Premium’s website to see what they show for part number usage across the different engines. Comparing part numbers on various part supplier websites is the best way to confirm what is compatible and what isn’t. I can tell you the radiator in my stock 2001 Silvy HD with an 8.1L sits pretty low below the top of the radiator support.
    • What's required between BCM and PCM to sync up the VIN? Good question for a tuner
      Dunno for certain as mine are manuals but I would venture to say most likely. It is possible the 8.1/Allison flexpate may be different than an 8.1/4L80E as in G-vans, Subs, and Avalanches. Research the part numbers on Napa, A/C Delco or whose ever website to check usages.

8. bigblock72

bigblock72 Elmer's glue taste tester Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'll add my .0005 cents worth.
      Yes, the 8.1L ECM is not specific to just the 8.1L. Same 12200411 ECM used in the same generation 4.8 on up to 6.0 engines. The calibrations are obviously different though. Yes, the wires inside the CAM and Crank sensor connectors must be swapped. Not swap cam for crank but the wires inside those sensor connectors need to be swapped.
      Yes, for the most part… I would venture to say yes with some minor rework but if a vehicle already has a period correct 4.8 up on to 6.0 the original harness could easily be reworked by the cam/crank repin and possibly extending a few leads. In all reality, the Howell 8.1L harness is nothing more than a same generation LS harness but with longer leads and cam/crank repin. Again, Ed Coss on that FB page could confirm.
      Good question for the FB group or go do some research on Spectra Premium’s website to see what they show for part number usage across the different engines. Comparing part numbers on various part supplier websites is the best way to confirm what is compatible and what isn’t. I can tell you the radiator in my stock 2001 Silvy HD with an 8.1L sits pretty low below the top of the radiator support. The 3/4 ton suburbans have a taller radiator support than the 1/2 tons. The 6.0l radiator is about 4 inches shorter and uses a spacer between the radiator and the support. You will want the taller 8.1l fan and shroud. I think the 8.1 uses larger diameter oil cooler lines that won't be compatible with the 6.0 radiator, not 100% on that though. If you deleted the oil cooler lines a 6.0 radiator may be sufficient for a 8.1 depending on application and use.
    • What's required between BCM and PCM to sync up the VIN? Good question for a tuner Easiest to flash the same VIN in both modules using GM software, can get a little tricky depending on what features you want to use.
      Dunno for certain as mine are manuals but I would venture to say most likely. It is possible the 8.1/Allison flexpate may be different than an 8.1/4L80E as in G-vans, Subs, and Avalanches. Research the part numbers on Napa, A/C Delco or whose ever website to check usages. The 8.1 flexplate is just your standard 91-up big block piece with a 11.5" 6 bolt pattern that should be compatible with most if not all 4l80/85 converters.

Larry likes this.
  9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

so I have been so tired of tuning my carb'd motor. so want to do a 8.1L...
    I am seeing mention of an 8.8L out there now... so maybe go 8.1L to get truck all setup for it then 8.8 some day??? mmmmm

is there a better 8.1L out of all the years to really look for? my 78 chevy would love a nice new heart and I'm so considering it when I get my bonus in March (wife will be pissed but what else is new)...

When I am ready... I know a guy who sells vehicles that were in accidents and really banged up. maybe I can find something with an 8.1L Tboned or something. I know a guy that bought a truck from him with a 6.0L for $2200 and got to hear it run. Was rear ended then rolled....

10. Kay86K5

Kay86K5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Larry spells everything out really good in this thread. Its a long thread, but worth reading the whole thing to really learn the ins and outs of the 8.1 and also swapping into a square. But in short, pretty much all the years of the 8.1's are relatively the same as far as "which year is best". Some came with different bracket assemblies on the front (referred to as workhorse or van assemblies) but if you really don't care about keeping or having AC in your truck, then getting a normal 8.1 out of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is fine. Earlier years (up to 2003) had a return style fuel rail on it, which can make it a lot easier to deal with your fuel setup in a square body (just get a TBI tank with an EP381 pump, then run two high pressure lines from the tank and hook up to motor). 2004 and up used a returnless fuel rail (there is info out there of how to still make this work in a swap, but just a little more of an annoyance IMO). Also 2004 and up they got rid of the stupid EGR tube off the back of the motor. It's nice to not have that. If you get a 2001-2003 motor, and you don't have to do emissions, then you can just get the block off plates and remove EGR from the tune and your good.

Other than that, really doesn't matter which year you get, I'd say just look for one with the lowest miles for the best price, but seen lots of dudes go way into the 200K+ miles on these motors with no real issues...its a good motor

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    RootBreaker and Larry like this.
  11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah I was reading it and so much info, I was bleeding knowledge outta my ears!!!! hah.. I was on google and forget where but someone said depending on which year/truck you could get 325hp all the way up to 450hp .. stock... that is why I asked as I didn't see that mentioned. maybe ill have to search up and find that to quote it. I do need new fuel tanks (1 removed already and other super rusted) so maybe ill go tbi tank anyway and run that pump as I have an electric fuel pump now and put a regulator on the line to just use it for now. hmmmm