L18 8.1L swap resource thread

Discussion in 'The Engine Bay' started by Larry, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Rick Capito

Rick Capito Registered Member Premium Member

I have a return style fuel rail with injectors if your interested.

Capt Ron likes this.
  2. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Minus .7 liters Premium Member

Build(s):
    pm on it's way

3. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Minus .7 liters Premium Member

Build(s):
    So after reading this thread about 5 more times and Larry's other threads again I have figured a few things out.
    It appears this engine has already had the top radiator hose housing from a Silverado installed. I also noticed masking tape under the intake manifold gaskets so it will be coming off to figure out what is going on there. @Larry also mentioned that the ZF power steering pump is just to big for a square chassis without hacking the frame and after looking at my L29 sitting in my K5 it appears the ZF fittings if not the actual housing will not clear. So that will have to be addressed.
    {All together now say it out loud.... "Don't be that guy who hacks a frame"}
    In the box of parts I received with the 8.1 there was a windage tray and some other tins I am not sure are even for this engine or maybe something else??
    I have purchased the return style fuel rails and injectors from Rick Capito but the list of parts I still have to source is growing.
    I am still not sure what project this engine is going in but it will either be my CC avatar or my 67/69 SWB.

IMG_20190509_135847972[1].jpg

IMG_20190509_140054061[1].jpg

IMG_20190509_130143625[1].jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Larry likes this.
  4. Rick Capito

Thought I'd post up some Pic's of my 8.1 install in my 77 k10/30, many thanks to Larry for his article and sharing of his knowledge on the subject. IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0960.jpg IMG_0959.jpg IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0960.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Desert_K5, Capt Ron, Larry and 5 others like this.
  5. Rick Capito

6. Rick Capito

7. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    Wow, that looks great! Very sanitary job! I really like your airhorn on the throttle body and those battery cable ends…..well, actually, everything! I like it all. Does the airhorn rub the hood at all? The one on my Suburban rubs the hood badly but the same part number fits my K10 with the flat hood just fine. I also need to get some battery cables like those for the blue truck. Very nice job!

Capt Ron likes this.
  8. Rick Capito

Thanks Larry, This whole thing is because of your article here and I couldn't be happier. I trimmed the throttle body end of the air horn about 3/8" so it just clears the linkage cam that lowered it about 1/2" the battery cable ends are the military style and I found the boots on eBay. Thanks Again for all the info it saved a lot of time and money.

Larry and Capt Ron like this.