CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

L18 8.1L swap resource thread

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
so update on my buddys 8.1 stick combo . the way he was talking it was a 99-up c3500 . . . . its a 88-01ish 3500HD 5/10 lug 15k gvw truck .

so did they ever get the 6 speed stick or just a nv4500 ? seen a few but only 1 with bbc and was a 454 / 4l80 rest were 6.5 diesel nv4500 combos .

Larry

Chupacabra Rancher & Tumbleweed Farmer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
so update on my buddys 8.1 stick combo . the way he was talking it was a 99-up c3500 . . . . its a 88-01ish 3500HD 5/10 lug 15k gvw truck .

so did they ever get the 6 speed stick or just a nv4500 ? seen a few but only 1 with bbc and was a 454 / 4l80 rest were 6.5 diesel nv4500 combos .
:haha:Did you know page 1 of this exact thread has all that type of information :whistle:

Larry

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
nope i only click latest page and were on #38 :pimp::haha::D

off i go to look and read on page #1

You and everyone else.... That's what it's called a "Resource" thread and not come ask a question and wait for an an answer thread. This thread would be like 15 pages long if more actually read page 1 ;)

Just razzing you :haha:

Larry

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Should have been a locked sticky with mods able to make updates. Then a separate discussion thread

Can I still do that? I have been going back to page 1 and making additions/corrections often.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can I still do that? I have been going back to page 1 and making additions/corrections often.
Or you can have Mark @Bent77 clean up the thread for you after you update post 1.
He likes to clean unnecessary conversations.

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Dakota digital makes an adapter to get vss from a mechanical speedo as well. I used it for awhile and it worked great. Only like $30 too.
Just an update to this from 2019. Just called Dakota and they told me if I want pass through for cable driven, I need
SEN01-4160 and SGI-100BT and this comes out to $150 before if they charge tax and dont know how much for shipping....

and howell vss263 vss adapter is smaller, more compact, less to do meaning the Dakota requires cut wires or get other end of vss and pig tail it into the bluetooth adapter...
Howell is $140....

not Sure i should care about the manual cable cuz my speedo is off anyway. I have that T adapter (in garage somewhere) that needs to be taken apart and fixed.. i heard people can regear them once you tell them tire size, gear ratio and how much it is off by.... heck I just use cell speedometer app...

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Side question.. is vss even needed or does the computer require it? manual trans. Does vss simply supply speed via wire vs cable? like how drive by wire replaces cable throttle?

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Side question.. is vss even needed or does the computer require it? manual trans. Does vss simply supply speed via wire vs cable? like how drive by wire replaces cable throttle?
Short answer with a manual trans, no. VSS is not needed for the engine to function. Both Larry's trucks lack VSS input to the PCM and mine does not either. All three are running nv4500's.

If you are running a non-computer controlled auto like a th350 or th400 it isn't needed either.

If you are running a 4L80e trans it will need the VSS to function.

VSS simply provides a digital signal into the PCM. Cable drive speedo only mechanically spins the cable that turns the speedometer in your instrument cluster.

The problem comes in if you are running the 4L80e and need the VSS, depending on your t-case you might be able to convert to a VSS sensor, but will lose the cable drive for your speedo. This is where some have ditched the stock cluster all together to use a dakota digital unit and use the VSS for the speedometer input like a modern car would or 90-91 does. They do make a VSS signal generator that is driven by your stock speedometer cable. I've had fits setting it up on a buddy's suburban. We will probably convert the cluster over to a '91 with electric speedo and draco module in order to eliminate the conversion junk.

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I will read from page 1 tmorrow... not sure if this was said...
chevy s10 ecu mount id on fender and is same style ecu. just picked one up... gotta bolt to fender.

Also a bonneville ecu mount is encased and maybe good too for us mudders.

just mounting up and down wont fit so have to think how to mount to get lid off...

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
so I went through the threads searching for gauge and hit a few of them where it was said that gauges do not really care what engine it is connected too...
with that I got my:
manual oil gauge connected to the back of the engine
Volt gauge working - it just worked - nice
temp gauge - ran wire but may of wired it into wrong spot.. not sure yet...

BUT...
Tach question.
My guy had a wire that said Tach and I ran it into the cab and wired it to my tach wire and it is not working. From something I recall on facebook... I think I read that sometimes an ecu signal is not strong enough to crank on an older gauge so I am trying to see what i can do here...
FYI - this is the old C60 Tach / Fuel gauge combo and I really like it...

I looked at the Dakota Digital and while it is really cool... it just doesnt fit my wallet and the look... I feel on a newer truck yes, but my old school.. i really dig my old gauges...

**********edited
I did find this and read it but yeah.... not sure yet..

Last edited:

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I run my aftermarket tach in 4cyl mode to work with the LS before and the L18 now. A factory style gauge will require some modifications outlined in the link to come close to working.

I don't remember anybody around here that has used a factory gauge. I had a full factory tach cluster that I thought about using with my earlier LS swap and decided against it because I didn't want to fight the factory tach business.

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I run my aftermarket tach in 4cyl mode to work with the LS before and the L18 now. A factory style gauge will require some modifications outlined in the link to come close to working.

I don't remember anybody around here that has used a factory gauge. I had a full factory tach cluster that I thought about using with my earlier LS swap and decided against it because I didn't want to fight the factory tach business.
jumped on amazon and ordered this.. will test when it comes in... just hope my computer is set to 4 cyl

1622145493513.png

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I use a pull up resistor on my tach and it works great. Nothing special about it, it's just simple electronic principles to pull up the voltage to something the tach can read.

Not hard to do at all.

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I use a pull up resistor on my tach and it works great. Nothing special about it, it's just simple electronic principles to pull up the voltage to something the tach can read.

Not hard to do at all.
mine is out of calibration too.. so i gotta see if calibrating is something joe schmoe can do or if has to be professionall done. else shipping both ways plus adjusting maybe worth the $175 unit.. not sure

Top Bottom