CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

RJFguitar's resto-mod - went offroad

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
rjfguitar submitted a new Build:

RJFguitar's resto-mod - went offroad

I haven't been on the board much in the last couple years so for the noobs, I'm Bob.

For some quick history on my K5, I believe it to be a fish and game government vehicle original due to the special paint scheme, and being that forest green was never a stock option. I bought it when I was 16 and it was stock as a rock.

I have no pictures of when it was completely stock and this is the earliest picture I have of it.

Stock drivetrain, 3.73's, 6" lift, 33's.

next I built a mild 406 small block. Edelbrock performer intake, Qjet, hooker headers, 9.2:1 comp., stock big valve heads, mild cam. Made about 320HP and 425ft lbs or so at the crank. This is still under the hood today.

Next came a built to the hilt 700R4 and freshened up 241. Next came a 14BFF/8lug 10b, 3" body lift, custom built drive shafts, and 35x16 boggers with Weld 16.5x14 scorpios.

A few wheeling shots

Fixed the bumpers to where they look correct with the body lift and here it is right before I got bit by the Dodge Cummins bug HARD, bought a new diesel, and parked the 'ol girl for the next 6 years....

View attachment 230666

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So fast forward to 6 weeks ago. I decided I had to do something with the K5 or it just needed to go down the road to someone else. My wife convinced me to keep it and so..... paint was on the to-do list. (talk about a honey-do to look forward to!:thumb:).

Started getting it torn down....
0421.JPG

got the undercarriage rust blocked and sprayed gloss black.
0042.JPG

0071.JPG

Here is what was the end result of a "backyard" paint job.... wanted black with a red hughe in the sun....OOPS! Came out purple....:haha:
0011.JPG

sand it back down.....
0031.JPG

So at this point I say screw it and take it to my local body & paint shop and let the pros have at it.:thumb:

brought her home this morning...
0022.JPG

Now THIS is how paint is supposed to shine....:woot:
0051.JPG

time to start putting the truck back together...
0032.JPG

Got the mirrors, door handles, key holes, side markers, hood, and wheels/tires put on today.... I'm done for the day.....

0131.JPG

0111.JPG

008.JPG

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
is it just me or is that pass fender to far back and going to chip the paint on the door edge when you open it up ? that gap looks real tight.

looks pimpin tho. :pimp:

jt512

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Truck looks great :waytogo: :waytogo: the color really seems to "fit" the truck !
I'm diggin the mega cab too !! :bow:

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
is it just me or is that pass fender to far back and going to chip the paint on the door edge when you open it up ? that gap looks real tight.

looks pimpin tho. :pimp:
It's tight, but doesn't touch. New door pins and bushing wouldn't hurt though either. It's on the list.:D

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The color is GM sunset orange metallic. I see a lot of Corvettes , HHR, and that other "PT cruiser" looking car GM makes??:doah:

I would really like to find one of the old Skyler soft tops used, but in mint condition. If one doesn't turn up I think I might try to have a tarp shop that I work with a lot try to make me a "skyler" style soft top. I still plan to get my K5 top sanded and painted the same color, but I think it will mostly collect dust as I plan to go topless here on out.:pimp:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I got a buddy with that color on his late model Vette....looks really good in the sun.

Nice job Bob....glad to see it getting back in action.

Avery4jc

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Cool, I've seen older pics of your rig but nothing updated. Glad to see ya' around.

73redblaze

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
the quality of the first paint job looked good, just not a fan of the purple either. Keep us posted!

79rustyk10

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Hell, all three colors looked good on that thing. I like the final one best though, but something about that color green was badass.

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hey buddy, good to see you back! The K5 is looking really good, keep the pics coming. Any other changes for the K5?

I'm diggin the Megacab too. :pimp:

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
the quality of the first paint job looked good, just not a fan of the purple either. Keep us posted!
It looks better in the picture than it did in person. Had a few spots where the metallics weren't even and I got a LOT of dust in the base and clear.

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hey buddy, good to see you back! The K5 is looking really good, keep the pics coming. Any other changes for the K5?

I'm diggin the Megacab too. :pimp:

As far as other changes, I did buy a bunch of new exterior trim and planed to reuse some of the better outside trim. After how good this paint job turned out, any of the old emblems, trim, etc that even after a good cleaning still looks dull and old when put up against the new paint. So..... I'm going to go ahead and replace ALL the exterior trim and will be putting all the factory siliverado trim back in place.

I see a lot of guys do a great paint job, but don't put any of the chrome molding, wheel well trim, or any other silverado trim back on. To me, their trucks look like Scottsdale base models with nice paint.:doah:

All new interior will come sometime this winter, going to replace EVERYTHING inside. I plan to redo my stereo system too, I had a big ass box in the back with 3 ten's and two amps and I am definantly going to do something different because that big stereo sub box is NOT going back in.

As far as the drivetrain, I do plan to regear to 5.13's eventually, and who knows, I might pull the 406 eventually and get it cranked up to 400-500HP. Was thinking about one of those smaller single carb Weind blowers or what not. Smog is not an issue so basically cash is the only limit for under the hood.

My main goal with my K5 is to get it to like brand new "showroom" condition. But... I am obviously not into the whole numbers matching stock as a rock thing. I want it to look like I bought it brand new off the lot, and modded it with 100 miles on the clicker. Like you see with guys today that buy new trucks and mod the living crap out of them, and then notice they have 300 miles on a 3 month old truck.:thumb:

supersize75k5

OrganDonorRacing.com
Reaction score
Oh hell I'll subscribe buddy

And keep a watchful eye on this and do new rim dance so you can get rid of those weld wheels:whistle:

:popcorn:

-shawn

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Oh hell I'll subscribe buddy

And keep a watchful eye on this and do new rim dance so you can get rid of those weld wheels:whistle:

:popcorn:

-shawn

X2, always loved the truck, and have always hated those rims...or maybe it's just the extra 4" of extra rim width I never liked. :dunno:

Either way, it's not my rig...it's yours. Glad to see you back, and very nice job so far on the rebuild/restify! :bow:

Rene

supersize75k5

OrganDonorRacing.com
Reaction score
X2, always loved the truck, and have always hated those rims...or maybe it's just the extra 4" of extra rim width I never liked. :dunno:

Either way, it's not my rig...it's yours. Glad to see you back, and very nice job so far on the rebuild/restify! :bow:

Rene

I always liked the color green he had, colors just went together.

That orange is something though. We need a "joe dirt daaaaaaaaaang" smilie :pimp:

Top Bottom