CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

The Brandy Build

A build taking a faded, rusty, 1988 k5 and transforming it into a more or less restored, 1974 full convertible.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Did you already replace the body mounts?

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you already replace the body mounts?
Yeah I did new poly bushings when I put the body back on the frame. You meant the bushings right? Not the actual body mount perches?

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yep. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t have saggy biscuits before you pulled the top off

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t have saggy biscuits before you pulled the top off
Definitely important before hacking the top off, I wonder if the poly bushings will help with rigidity over rubber?

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
As long as they are in good condition, I’d think the differences are difficult to see

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I chopped the top off yesterday, i just cut it at the roof for now. I’ll have to take a bunch of measurements in the windshield frame before I cut the A pillar. I though I might do the windshield first and doors last but I decided to go ahead and knock the doors out today. It was pretty tedious but I think they’re about as perfect as I can get them. Going to grind down the b pillar flush with the bed tonight so the top can sit on it and I can use the top to get the windshield frame perfect. Seeing it like this definitely brings a smile to my face.
BAA4F147-ADB4-4D68-9E46-FAE17FC32CF9.jpeg
6EF066BD-BA0F-4A62-B6D8-60A82260DE6D.jpeg

centexk5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man that looks good. My roof and a-pillars and windshield frame are in such bad shape I’m considering doing the same. I run diy4x doors so not to worried how they fit as long as they close.

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man that looks good. My roof and a-pillars and windshield frame are in such bad shape I’m considering doing the same. I run diy4x doors so not to worried how they fit as long as they close.
Thanks, if you can find a good top and a donor frame I think it’s definitely worth it.

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So this is a problem: 5E6677DE-B9E6-432E-9E81-86494DBAC344.jpeg 3D1E89FD-94B5-4023-B98C-37462266FB86.jpeg
Where it’s perfect on the driver side, it’s very far off on the passenger side. I checked my measurements a bunch of times on both sides to make sure I didn’t mess up the cut. As far as I can tell I didn’t. Maybe I’m seeing things but the passenger side looks funky to me, like it’s a little bent or something. The picture makes it look worse than it is but it’s basically not wide enough. I’m going to put the top on tomorrow and attach the frame to the top to see if that tells me anything. Hopefully I can figure out a way to make it work. Really don’t want to hunt for a new frame. I forgot to mention this but I pushed and pulled on the doors a lot and couldn’t seem to flex the firewall at all, looks like the rocker boxes are working.

1300obo

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
it looks like some torsion on the windshield frame released when it was cut from the donor vehicle. did you cut the stock doors or find 73-75's?

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
it looks like some torsion on the windshield frame released when it was cut from the donor vehicle. did you cut the stock doors or find 73-75's?
I got a set of 73-75 doors when I bought my windshield header and top but they were so rotted I just used them as a guide to cut my stock doors. I think you’re probably right about the torsion. I’ll see what I can do about bending it back out but I guess I could always make some relief cuts and bend it out that way. I’m just worried about the windshield not fitting right if I do that.

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright we’re back in business
5005E980-501F-4605-8DF4-16CC0AD180EC.jpeg
something’s definitely off with the passenger side of the frame but I’ve got it bent back in place enough to work I think. You can see the pinch seam on the driver side is nice and smooth around the top inside corner and on the passenger side it looks like it buckled or something.
B9B6AF81-55CC-4F16-AD9F-174387D09849.jpeg B863146C-E177-44A9-9A82-845C16CC296B.jpeg
There’s also a small dent right above that. I just cut where that seam looked buckled until I was far enough in that I could bend it. Hopefully that’s the end of it. I’m going to try to take part of the old frame and cut it down so it fits inside as an insert between the two sections for strength and to make it easier to weld.

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think it was Dremu who did a roof swap (he put a half cab on a full convertible....), and used pieces of conduit inside the window frame pieces to hold them in line.

Martin

1300obo

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright we’re back in business
View attachment 374740
something’s definitely off with the passenger side of the frame but I’ve got it bent back in place enough to work I think. You can see the pinch seam on the driver side is nice and smooth around the top inside corner and on the passenger side it looks like it buckled or something.
View attachment 374743 View attachment 374742
There’s also a small dent right above that. I just cut where that seam looked buckled until I was far enough in that I could bend it. Hopefully that’s the end of it. I’m going to try to take part of the old frame and cut it down so it fits inside as an insert between the two sections for strength and to make it easier to weld.
now that it's in better light, it looks like theres a bend/dent just above where the passenger side is cut off. if you work that out, wouldn't everything line up without making cuts or bending at the top?

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it was Dremu who did a roof swap (he put a half cab on a full convertible....), and used pieces of conduit inside the window frame pieces to hold them in line.

Martin
Smart idea, that would work too.

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
now that it's in better light, it looks like theres a bend/dent just above where the passenger side is cut off. if you work that out, wouldn't everything line up without making cuts or bending at the top?
At first I thought that might be the problem, but it’s more just a dent on the outside, if you look on the inside it doesn’t really bend much at all. I realized that even if I did bend it it wouldn’t have been enough to fix how far off it was. It was about 2 inches off.

Top Bottom