Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mosesburb, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

have the oil analyzed...sure fire way to know if it's good or not.

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I should do that. I did it with the engine oil a couple changes ago and learned some interesting info. At the cost of the trans lube service, an oil analysis could pay for itself very quickly.

3. mosesburb

So some time ago, a friend of mine that I buy parts from dangled this carrot in front of me:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that is a factory cable driven diesel tach setup from a 67-72 medium duty truck equipped with a Detroit. I very wisely passed on it for some time, but then I started having issues with my ISSPRO tach reading strangely. I'm not sure if it was a pickup problem or an actual tach head issue, but I would have been waaaaay bucks ahead to buy a whole new tach setup (or two), (or three), than convert to this tach setup. Anyway, I bought the tach cluster then proceeded to empty my wallet (a couple times over) getting it adapted to function in my truck and spend a huge amount of time tracking down parts for it (and cleaning that funk off the lens--that stuff was like a crackhead resisting an eviction notice).
    After searching out a bunch of parts and having the tach head gone through and recalibrated by a speedo company that doesn't listen very well, I finally was able to assemble and install the converted cluster.
    [​IMG]
    Astute observers will recognize the ammeter is no longer an ammeter. It is a converted volt meter and is made to look accurate for the cluster.
    A close up of the gauge in operation:
    [​IMG]
    Backside of the cluster showing the wiring for the volt meter conversion as well as the tach drive adapter. Ever wonder why the tach printed circuit had that strangely shaped hole in it?? Here's your answer:
    [​IMG]
    In the end I found out the drive adapter is not needed for my application. It actually reverses the rotation making the tach try to read backwards. It sucks because it made the cable easier to attach. Oh well.
    So a cable driven tach has no place to attach to a Cummins. The nice thing is, the Cummins B series has been used in so many different applications that it is only a matter of combining the correct parts to make a tach drive off the front of the motor where the original oil fill pipe used to reside:
    [​IMG]
    Oh boy, a clearance issue with my GM fan on the Cummins. Goody. With some good old school file work, I was able to maximize the clearance between the fan and tach drive adapter:
    [​IMG]
    I figured if the fan moves fore or aft, it would only move forward thus creating more clearance between the two components. It has been in there for over 10k with no issues so far and there has been some flogging along the way....
    "Action" shot of the cluster:
    [​IMG]
    So with the addition of the "factory" volt meter in the cluster, I was able to get rid of my aftermarket volt meter under the dash and with the factory tach I was able to get rid of my aftermarket tach up in my dash-top gauge pod. This allowed me to move my trans temp gauge up into my dash-top pod:
    [​IMG]
    I also removed all of the crappy switches in my switch panel with Carling round bat toggle switches:
    [​IMG]
    I like the look of the duckbill switches, but they were just junk.
    I have been putting off making a panel for my coolant heater controls, so I took the opportunity to make a home for those as well:
    [​IMG]
    I included a dual 2.1A USB charging port while I was at it.

So all in all it was a ridiculous amount of time and money completing this tach install. In the end, was it worth it?? Meh, who knows. It does look cool and that's all that matters, right??

KirsL, NorCal69, 78K30 and 16 others like this.
  4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    RIGHT, Kert and I was wondering why more diesel rpm range tachs aren't out there. seems most go to 8 or 10K, the diesel market only needs 4K...seems like it would be a big seller.
    The gauge cluster looks very good, work and research well done!

sreidmx and AbramJ like this.
  5. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Really like the tach. Great detailed installation, as usual.

David

sreidmx likes this.
  6. sreidmx

sreidmx Fortify Offroad Vendor

Build(s):
    You know what has to happen now?

... gotta swap a Detroit into this beast.. 6V-53T

7. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Very cool stuff. I love this thing more and more as you post.

sreidmx likes this.
  8. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

Build(s):
    A factory diesel tach dash is always extremely cool.

Big Ray, campfire and GWeakland620 like this.
  9. max 02

max 02 N.E.D. Premium Member

Build(s):
    If cool is all that matters...you have it in spades! :thumb:

Nice job as always! :waytogo:

10. mosesburb

Thanks!!
    It's probably the limited market for them. Most vehicles with diesel engines have factory tachs in them or are available as options rendering the market down to conversions etc which is very limited to say the least. There are several available in less common brands, but yeah, definitely nothing like the gas motor market.

Thank you!!

Man, I thought this was a tight fit when done, that would be a tight fit before it was even installed. I always thought a 4-53T would be a neat motor for a light truck. I was next to an old fire truck with a Detroit yesterday. When the light turned green a big cloud of shit came out and it screamed away. The driver knew the proper way to drive it too--pedal on the floor and let it eat. Was cool hearing a Detroit again. That's what most of the trucks sounded like when I was growing up.

Thank you!!

That's what it all about!! Screw functionality, just make it look cool!! LOL

Thanks Dean!!

78K30, max 02, noJeepshere and 4 others like this.
  11. sreidmx

sreidmx Fortify Offroad Vendor

Build(s):
    My school bus growing up was one of those old crown busses with the 6v71 and a stick, a nice lady drove it like you said let it Rev.. I sat up front every day just to watch her shift and listen to the engine.. mezmorized me..

muddysub and Chevy305 like this.
  12. 82355

82355 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Factory gauges look a hundred times better than aftermarket.

Martin

Big Ray, max 02, AbramJ and 1 other person like this.
  13. mosesburb

Yeah, I definitely prefer the aesthetics of the factory setup.

AbramJ and GWeakland620 like this.
  14. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    That really cleaned things up a bit. Nice job.

15. mosesburb

Thanks!!