Zekeoverby

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 77 k5. It has a one speed wiper switch on the dash with no washer. It has a floppy blinker lever that doesn't engage turn signals. I want to upgrade all this. I'm wondering if there's a way, while retaining the stock steering column, that I could move the wiper controls to the blinker lever and add a modern amount of wiper speeds. Basically swap in a modern blinker lever. Would it possible to add a washer too? What would that entail? Could I swap in a turn signal switch from a newer k5? Would I need a wiper and washer switch too? How does that work on the newer k5s, are they all in the column? will I need to do anything to the motor? Could it use an upgrade anyways? Lots of questions. If anyone has any answers they'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It sounds like you would have an upgrade just by making things work as original. Your '77 has 2 speed wipers, there is a problem with yours. It could be a poor ground on the wiper motor, which can be the small strap that goes to one of mounting bolts, or possibly a switch problem. It will take some diagnoses to determine the problem, or if it is internal in the motor. The washer pump can be converted to an electric one, just get a universal one and hook it up to the wires going to the original pump on the wiper motor.

The turn signal switch lever is a common problem. The screw sets loose and can break the plastic part of the switch. It's possible to replace the broken part, at least the part used to be available, or you can replace the whole switch. It requires some time, tools and research to take the column apart. It is possible for the DIY guy though.

You should be able to swap the whole column for one out of a late eighties K5, but the turn signal switch is the same part, which means that it's possible to have the same problem show up later.

Zekeoverby

Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay thank you for the info. I'll search around to see if it's the ground or switch or what. I do really want the wiper controls on the blinker lever though. Do you know, if I were to swap the column all together, is the wiper/washer switch in the column. And if so, would it be possible or easier to just change turn signal switch and add wiper switch into my current column?
It sounds like you would have an upgrade just by making things work as original. Your '77 has 2 speed wipers, there is a problem with yours. It could be a poor ground on the wiper motor, which can be the small strap that goes to one of mounting bolts, or possibly a switch problem. It will take some diagnoses to determine the problem, or if it is internal in the motor. The washer pump can be converted to an electric one, just get a universal one and hook it up to the wires going to the original pump on the wiper motor.

The turn signal switch lever is a common problem. The screw sets loose and can break the plastic part of the switch. It's possible to replace the broken part, at least the part used to be available, or you can replace the whole switch. It requires some time, tools and research to take the column apart. It is possible for the DIY guy though.

You should be able to swap the whole column for one out of a late eighties K5, but the turn signal switch is the same part, which means that it's possible to have the same problem show up later.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Okay thank you for the info. I'll search around to see if it's the ground or switch or what. I do really want the wiper controls on the blinker lever though. Do you know, if I were to swap the column all together, is the wiper/washer switch in the column. And if so, would it be possible or easier to just change turn signal switch and add wiper switch into my current column?
If you haven’t delved into the fun that is a steering column, you may wanna research that also before you dive in

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I understand your feelings about wanting the control on the turn signal lever.
You would need to get a complete column from an '84 to '91 k5 or suburban. (Trucks to '87).
Then you will want to go into it and make sure that it is good to go. If it is a tilt column, you need to loctite the bolts that hold the tilt section, and all of them need maintenance in other areas.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The other item overlooked is the wiring harness is completely different.

The column is going to physically bolt in without any issue. But getting the wiring to line up for the wiper and dimmer is going to be a challenge. That will not be plug and play.

I'd fall back to what has already been said, fixing what you got is going to be much simpler than going after the newer column. It's not what you want to hear but you need to know it's not as simple as bolting the column in.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The other item overlooked is the wiring harness is completely different.

The column is going to physically bolt in without any issue. But getting the wiring to line up for the wiper and dimmer is going to be a challenge. That will not be plug and play.

I'd fall back to what has already been said, fixing what you got is going to be much simpler than going after the newer column. It's not what you want to hear but you need to know it's not as simple as bolting the column in.
Good point. I am fairly certain that the dimmer will plug in, but the wiring is too short by just a few inches. I hadn't remembered about the wiper plug being different, whoops.

Capt Ron

Minus .7 liters
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If intermittent wipers is your primary goal starting in late 79?? it was available for the dash mounted switch. I have a few of the modules at home. Still not quite plug and play but I did convert one years ago.

Last edited:

USSkoval

Dunno?
Premium Member
Reaction score
If intermittent wipers is your primary goal starting in late 79 it was available for the dash mounted switch. I have a few of the modules at home. Still not quite plug and play but I did convert one years ago.

Delay wipers were optional starting in '77 but the module was extremely failure prone. Much more so than the later modules. Starting in '78, the whole wiper system was revamped and the wiring is different than the earlier models.

The '78-'83 delay wiper stuff can be swapped in, but the switch and motor pigtails need changed, a wire needs to be added for the park switch and of course the later switch, module and wiper motor are needed. And the dash needs slightly modified to fit the switch.

One very nice feature of the delay wiper switch is it has a "mist" position, unlike the standard 2 speed switch.

Capt Ron

Minus .7 liters
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Delay wipers were optional starting in '77 but the module was extremely failure prone. Much more so than the later modules. Starting in '78, the whole wiper system was revamped and the wiring is different than the earlier models.

The '78-'83 delay wiper stuff can be swapped in, but the switch and motor pigtails need changed, a wire needs to be added for the park switch and of course the later switch, module and wiper motor are needed. And the dash needs slightly modified to fit the switch.

One very nice feature of the delay wiper switch is it has a "mist" position, unlike the standard 2 speed switch.
Thanks for the clarification, I remembered it wasn't plug and play but after 30 some years forgot the details. I have been collecting the switch/modules for a few years, I will post up some pics to check out any differences.

Capt Ron

Minus .7 liters
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

So I know I have more buried in a shed but these were handy. There are 2 different styles of display and one has a longer pigtail but all of the wires are pinned and colored the same.
@USSkoval do you have any more details on the added wire to use these? 16145441944746576254978730854192.jpg 16145443419385051912691092560887.jpg 16145446932661645920037345843884.jpg

USSkoval

Dunno?
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I know I have more buried in a shed but these were handy. There are 2 different styles of display and one has a longer pigtail but all of the wires are pinned and colored the same.
@USSkoval do you have any more details on the added wire to use these? View attachment 370045 View attachment 370046 View attachment 370047

Those are both the '78-'83 style. I don't know what year the standardized wiper icon came about, but my guess is '81. Your one switch there has the pigtail on it that is part of the truck harness. Iirc, there's a black wire with a gray tracer stripe (maybe a blue stripe?) and that is the one that goes to the park switch on the wiper motor. The '77-earlier wiper motors did not have a separate park switch and there are only 4 wires to the switch, rather than the 5 wires in the later years. The '77-earlier harness also uses a different style connector to the switch/module.

USSkoval

Dunno?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the '77 delay module is mounted way up under the dash somewhere. I don't recall exactly where, but I simply left mine in place when I updated to the later style.

Capt Ron

Minus .7 liters
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Those are both the '78-'83 style. I don't know what year the standardized wiper icon came about, but my guess is '81. Your one switch there has the pigtail on it that is part of the truck harness. Iirc, there's a black wire with a gray tracer stripe (maybe a blue stripe?) and that is the one that goes to the park switch on the wiper motor. The '77-earlier wiper motors did not have a separate park switch and there are only 4 wires to the switch, rather than the 5 wires in the later years. The '77-earlier harness also uses a different style connector to the switch/module.
Thanks, not sure if this info is helping @Zekeoverby but still a good resource info for other CK5ers. The wire is black with a blue tracer stripe. I actually already have an 84 column in my 77 K5 so next time I tear into my dash for a stereo upgrade I will have to dive into this as well. Also I will go to the wrecking yard and get the wiper wiring all the way to the fuse box/bulkhead and the underhood wiring and try to use the turn signal wiper switch and post up the results. Thanks again.

USSkoval

Dunno?
Premium Member
Reaction score
For people that like the period correct look and feel of the dash switch, you can have all the modern conviences too. It's kind of irritating having to rewire the earlier trucks, but once that's done, you can then use the later switch/module. Starting in '85, the built in washer pump went away and a much more reliable remote pump was used in the washer bottle. Those work with the '78-'83 switch and harness, you just reroute the washer pump wires (at the wiper motor) to the remote pump. You can also use the '85-up wiper arms with the built-in washer sprayers.

Top Bottom