What’s your next build?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bent77, Apr 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM.

1. red EOD

red EOD 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    After the crew cab and the gooseneck trailer are finished (might trade the trailer in for a heavier duty deck over) I'm thinking either a camper, or build a house and settle in somewhere.

2. 79rustyk10

79rustyk10 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well the 79 is coming along, and almost on the road, but will continue to be an ongoing, driving project while sorting chassis and drivetrain, along with 454/511 build, until an eventual body swap from a nice 73-80 truck. My goal with that is to be stockish, reliable, with minimal down time throughout the rest of the project.

Between the sled, giant snowball of a CR250R, and tractors, I dont know what I'd be building.

I'd love to build a driver 73-80 4x4 stepside. Think red dawn Chevy pickup, but that might be a little too similar to the 79 overall.

Possibly a nice driver tri five Chevy. (Black, 57 preferably) Probably a more door, due to not only cost, but practicality. TPI 350, cause torque, and they look cool, with possibly TKO 5 speed.

Then the hillbilly part of my brain wants a General Lee. Full ten point cage, upgraded suspension. Little to no interior, past dashboard, front seats and door panels. Aluminum headed 440, stockish, torquey and reliable. Paint it in cheap single stage, since those cars aren't supposed to be perfect. Do burnouts, whip shitties, tear up dirt roads, and possibly catch small air a time or two.

tenderfoot likes this.
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

At my age and state of physical ability--my dream ride will have to be bought,not built. probably..:frown1:

If I hit a lottery ,I'd go look for the cars & trucks I had in my youth and re-live those years..

Find a mint '66 Buick Wildcat with a 425 nailhead,4 speed...or the switch pitch TH400 ..
    :burnout:

Get a '56 Chevy pickup..but on a later 4x4 chassis with P/S ,disc brakes,and a 454 instead of the old 235 six..painted black,with yellow grille and bumpers,like the one I had..

Track down a red & white '63 VW Transporter with the factory camper conversion ,like I had in my teens and 20's..(which would cost around 40K today IF you can find one!)..

Get another '72 Blazer or a '71 CST like I had back in the 80's..rust free this time though..BBC powered preferably..

Another '69 GTO would probably take all the winnings just to purchase one today,but I'd still love to own one again..saw one for sale on FB marketplace yesterday for a mere 39,900 dollars..:shocked:

Or maybe I'd just buy a house in AZ and never have to fix a rusted
    p-o-s again or deal with snow removal..if I felt better,I'd already be there..but I'm not really that enthused about making a major move either..

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    If I could have enough to build my 86 crew cab that would be what I started with. Extensive build. Build a frame, modern axles lots of body mods 37s with almost no lift. Duramax and Allison built to the hilt, airbag suspension front and rear. Super plush interior etc etc etc.

Kind of what Kert is doing with his current build.

Then onto my DeSoto

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
  6. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront My calendar is here. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Something I can drive from eastern Tennessee to moab, wheel there for a week. Multiple feet of travel at all corners, 800hp engine,AC, cruise and gets 50mpg.

ashman, Fastereddie, shady and 2 others like this.
  7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    You can call it the Unicorn truck.

bablazer73 likes this.
  8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    next build..... Oh lordy!
    I have a mild 350, and a 4 speed stick waiting to go into a 68-72 Nova, or a 69 Elcamino!
    but gotta find the right car.
    And I'm looking for a drag car, C3 vette body, for my 572...
    I collect parts for projects I don't own yet! Gotta get the Dually back together and Move to South Carolina before I can get serious about any of it.
    I also want to do another Blazer...
    I want, I want, I want.....

9. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I would like to use the chassis and axles that were under my '90, to resurrect the "spare" '90 that's out back. Just more power than a TBI 350. Maybe an aluminum head roller cam fat block, and of course keep the A/C..

bablazer73 and 79rustyk10 like this.
  10. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Bought a 4th gen Camaro, started buying parts for it. DD, canyon carver, maybe occasional autox. hpde. I think it has the aero to be competitive in LSR - Silverstate Classic / Bonneville .

Winning the lottery I have a 66 Corvair sitting in the back waiting for a deal on a strong transaxle to come by, Prices keep going up on those. Perhaps the new Corvette transaxle will help provide a supply after they start getting wrecked. Would like that to be a mid-engine monster.

Moody Bricker and bablazer73 like this.
  11. diesel4me

I rode in a Corvair that had a Olds 455 & a Toranado transaxle in it..
    Engine was in the factory spot too..thing went like a rocket !. :eek1:

12. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    I built one of those in high school. Tore the car apart in about a year. Drag racing it every weekend did not help.

13. mrk5

Build(s):
    One of our guys here is into Corvairs and he said that Olds 455/Toranado transaxle thing is a not uncommon.

14. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    I originally wanted to mid engine it, but that was a lot more work. I even ran boat headers up and out.

15. diesel4me

The guy who owned the Corvair I got a ride in ,bought the engine & transaxle from a GMC motor home that was at a local junkyard..

I have a book on welding,that shows one photo of a Corvair's engine compartment that has the swap done to it,shows how they made the cradle to mount the engine & transaxle..
    I'd post a copy of it here,but my current computer isn't compatible with my old scanner..

16. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Yeah, the olds drivetrains are pretty common, dont want that - want to row my own gears. have considered a fwd package back there but it doesn't tickle me..

17. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Once the Apache is driveable, I plan on starting a traditional hot rod build.

1933-34 Ford. Either a 3 window coupe, a 5 window coupe, or a Tudor sedan. My dad owns at least one of all 3 of those bodies. It would probably be fenderless, with a ford Flathead with later model manual trans and a banjo rear end. Transverse leaf springs front and rear, juice brakes, etc. We have some of the parts already.

Some Pic examples:

0412191218_HDR.jpg 0412191457a_HDR.jpg 0412191453a.jpg

18. shady

shady 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I love the yellow one. That's one of my favorite automotive body styles ever

muddermilitia likes this.
  19. mrk5

Build(s):
    I want a car of that vintage, the yellow one, but I'd like it to be mostly original not street rod.

20. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I get to help build a few traditional rods

0A955624-CC83-42DD-87D3-D3D36E976D00.jpeg

DE79F457-45B4-4B21-A3BD-17EEB0F478FA.jpeg

7E9A2006-7834-476C-9467-BCBC8792C87B.jpeg