CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Zoo'z Zoo, the Saturday add a trail (less difficult)

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
@doubletrouble I'd gladly share some beers with you guys after the trail ride, but my K5 said I'm not allowed to wheel with you and raggedy Andy. Lol.

@Capt Ron I figured Friday on backwards bill and sat, bust home Sunday. Got to talk to #1 son about coming along, but I was talking to Mark about heading out Tuesday and explore on the way ending up in Moab Wednesday. Hit a trail on Thursday with anyone that might be in.

Taking all options under advisement.

So far we got:
Hey Joe canyon
Schaefer switchbacks
Top of the world

Other options to talk about from red rock 4 wheelers:
Wipe out hill
Seven mile rim
Jax Trax
Copper ridge
Cameo cliffs
3-D

I need to do more research on all to figure out the time needed by trail. Distance from Moab, dirt miles, ect.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
@doubletrouble I'd gladly share some beers with you guys after the trail ride, but my K5 said I'm not allowed to wheel with you and raggedy Andy. Lol.

@Capt Ron I figured Friday on backwards bill and sat, bust home Sunday. Got to talk to #1 son about coming along, but I was talking to Mark about heading out Tuesday and explore on the way ending up in Moab Wednesday. Hit a trail on Thursday with anyone that might be in.

Taking all options under advisement.

So far we got:
Hey Joe canyon
Schaefer switchbacks
Top of the world

Other options to talk about from red rock 4 wheelers:
Wipe out hill
Seven mile rim
Jax Trax
Copper ridge
Cameo cliffs
3-D

I need to do more research on all to figure out the time needed by trail. Distance from Moab, dirt miles, ect.
Wipeout is on Backwards Bill

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Yeah, if you do Backwards Bill you're seeing stuff that is the same or similar on Sevenmile and Wipeout.

If you do the Shafer Switchbacks you could also detour out to the White Rim trail and see more of the Canyonlands. Depending on how much trail time you want to do.

Last edited:

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Anyone new to the Moab area, I highly recommend the Shafer Switchbacks down to White Rim out as far as you're up to going, and then back out on Potash Road.

One of these days I'd also like to try out Elephant Hill. So many people rave about how good it is.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Having dealt with the NPS last year in the maze district of Canyonlands taking a group in there is going to be an issue. We had 4 trucks together and came across a ranger who enlightened us that the park only allowed groups of 3 trucks or less. They sighted the environmental impact of more trucks to be an issue.

I'm sure a permit could be bought to allow a group to go but it might be a chore. I can explore the option further if the interest is there for it.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
For Schaffer Pass, you enter through the main entrance, pay your fee. Go to the visitors center and look around. Then head back towards the entrance, hang a right and leave the NP about a mile down the heavily traveled dirt road. No permits needed. Paying at the gate is the permit.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Having dealt with the NPS last year in the maze district of Canyonlands taking a group in there is going to be an issue. We had 4 trucks together and came across a ranger who enlightened us that the park only allowed groups of 3 trucks or less. They sighted the environmental impact of more trucks to be an issue.

I'm sure a permit could be bought to allow a group to go but it might be a chore. I can explore the option further if the interest is there for it.
Dan Mick told me one time the NPS won't let him take groups into the park. But he's commercial and Blazer Bash isn't, so I don't know if they would view it differently. I never tried asking, we just did the run like Wade mentioned.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Dan Mick told me one time the NPS won't let him take groups into the park. But he's commercial and Blazer Bash isn't, so I don't know if they would view it differently. I never tried asking, we just did the run like Wade mentioned.
So what kind of time would it take to run?

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
6 hours going slow with a lunch stop.

Doing this run.

Another cool one is Schaffer switchbacks, muscleman arch, Thelma and Louise leap. You go into Canyonlands NP to start it so there is that cost also. Good brakes or low gearing with good compression are mandatory.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
6 hours should be good.

First time I ever rode on the Shafer Switchbacks was in a 12 or 15 passenger Ford van my parents rented to haul us and extended family. My dad was driving and my cousin was freaking out in the front passenger seat; he doesn't like heights. It was making my dad laugh so hard he had to stop the van for a little bit. :haha:

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know you mentioned your wife not being good with heights. It seems scary but its not that bad. Take it slow, low gear, low range if need be and take it easy. I've gone down the Moki Dugway further south of Canyonlands and its very similar. Moki is wider, no less steep and twisty.

Top Bottom