CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Zoo'z Zoo, the Saturday add a trail (less difficult)

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Officially unofficially this is who was registered before the button existed for the trail that I am assigning to the Zoo'z Zoo @Shaeffer.
You're not obligated to keep that choice if you change you mind later, we're just counting trucks

@ZooMad75 @Capt Ron @Cheavyk10

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Talked with Larry who just went through Shafer/potash last week on our annual desert trip I missed out on. One logistical issue came up on the discussion. They had pulled up to Canyonlands after 8:00am and there was a line trying to get in. This was on a weekday, not a Saturday. They waited an hour to get through.

Given a Saturday had all the possibility of being busier than a weekday, what are the thoughts from everyone on doing the trail in reverse? Going in on potash and climbing the switchbacks. We will hit the switchbacks later in the morning depending on how fast we cover ground on the way in.

I'm game to go up or down, but I'm not a big fan of waiting in line with the masses.

Blazer Bash

Wishing we were in Moab
Premium Member
Reaction score
We do not have a trail handout for that run now. So you can go from the bottom up. The view is not the same. I read the other day that the gate at Arche NP is closed at 9am due to volume, 7 days a week. So the entrance might be an issue. Hopefully school will be back in session across the US, so that would help some.

Potash Rd to Muscleman Arch and Thelma n Louise leap, then up Shaeffer Switchbacks. Should be a fun, stress free day. Be sure to turn around and look down. The potash lakes are really cool looking from up high.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Cousin of mine drives for FedEx and he said last time he was thru Moab a month or so ago the line to the Arches entrance was backed up to the top of the valley to the north.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've done a little research and after running it by Wade we've got an option to link another trail to get back to Moab that is a little more interesting than just driving pavement. That is coming back via Gemini Bridges road. If we hit the end of Shafer with time to spare we can check out Gemini on the way back. It's a pretty basic trail, graded dirt really, but it keeps us going in the scenery and we can check out the Gemini Bridges about midway down.

Total trail mileage from the start of the trail at hwy 191 back to hwy 191 looks to be about 55 miles.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Gemini Bridges is nice scenic drive, some mild climbs and no serious off camber stuff. I did it in a totally stock 91 Ford Explorer on 31's.
If I end up doing white rim or Lockhart prior to BB an easy drive for Saturday is ok by me.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Check out Long Canyon.
That's an option I looked it. I might run it on the way into Canyonlands.

The main idea running anything on the way back is trying to stay off pavement as much as possible for the Saturday run and getting more of the Moab scenery in.

Moody Bricker

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I could go,I would take the easy trai too,the damage to my chalet would be big,the Mears over the waterbed would fall,the 150"tv would come off the wall and take out the gard tower over the kidy pool,hot coles from the brick pizza oven come out and burn the wine rack down,that would pass off the butler and the made ,,Im late to work just 3 years 10 months till i retire then I'm there.i can wate.

Top Bottom