CK5 Forums

Take a few seconds to register your free account to post topics or questions, and view exclusive content!

‘86 K30 Crew- From Sierra to Silverado, & a Cummins

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice projects.
This is a Chevy forum but I’d sure like to see more pics of the first and second gen dodges and especially the Landcruiser!

Well, okay, so long as its not blasphemy :haha:

This is the donor, a not too exciting single cab 4x4 95 12 valve. I pretty much stole it, the truck isn't in too great of shape but like I said, the engine is next to new. The 47rh in it lost overdrive and lock up, so that will be put aside for a rebuild for a future project. Otherwise I just robbed parts from this thing from my 96 Second Gen that I just sold

This is the new toy I just picked up, kind of an impulse buy, a '91 HDJ81, right hand drive, rebuilt 4.2 diesel. triple locked, lots of options. I know nothing of Toyota or land cruisers, I just had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I've frequently got stuck on trails and in holes trying to follow my friends in their little Toyotas in my Second Gen while camping and off roading, so this summer I feel I'll be better equipped. This is the best picture I have right now, I'll get more when it's not the arctic out there

This is my daily driver for the last 6 years, its had a ton of work done and its currently just sitting in my driveway as it needs an out of province inspection to be legal to drive in Alberta. It has a 6 speed from an '05 Cummins, and has undergone quite the transformation. I have a build thread for it on Cummins Forum if anyone is interested. I know, shameless plug, don't hate me.
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/2019538-halfway-done-build-thread.html
Keep in mind I've had this truck since I was a teenager so I'm not terribly proud of all the fixes and mods my broke ass teen self did some years ago, I'm slowly getting back to it now as well

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well, okay, so long as its not blasphemy :haha:

This is the donor, a not too exciting single cab 4x4 95 12 valve. I pretty much stole it, the truck isn't in too great of shape but like I said, the engine is next to new. The 47rh in it lost overdrive and lock up, so that will be put aside for a rebuild for a future project. Otherwise I just robbed parts from this thing from my 96 Second Gen that I just sold

This is the new toy I just picked up, kind of an impulse buy, a '91 HDJ81, right hand drive, rebuilt 4.2 diesel. triple locked, lots of options. I know nothing of Toyota or land cruisers, I just had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I've frequently got stuck on trails and in holes trying to follow my friends in their little Toyotas in my Second Gen while camping and off roading, so this summer I feel I'll be better equipped. This is the best picture I have right now, I'll get more when it's not the arctic out there

This is my daily driver for the last 6 years, its had a ton of work done and its currently just sitting in my driveway as it needs an out of province inspection to be legal to drive in Alberta. It has a 6 speed from an '05 Cummins, and has undergone quite the transformation. I have a build thread for it on Cummins Forum if anyone is interested. I know, shameless plug, don't hate me.
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/2019538-halfway-done-build-thread.html
Keep in mind I've had this truck since I was a teenager so I'm not terribly proud of all the fixes and mods my broke ass teen self did some years ago, I'm slowly getting back to it now as well

Right on! I like that first gen,should fit right in out here! You`ll be happy with the 81 cruiser my friends imported one from Japan years ago it was a manual diesel rhd they drove it for years before they sold it... loved it. Good score on the 95 perfect donor truck.
Ill check out your thread on the first gen. :waytogo:

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Checked out your thread...255/85/16 m55s is what ive been running on my duramax on my third set of them.
I didn`t know a Webasto could be mounted sideways like that? I like your truck with duels,That back bumper is so greasy its awesome! LOL!

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Checked out your thread...255/85/16 m55s is what ive been running on my duramax on my third set of them.
I didn`t know a Webasto could be mounted sideways like that? I like your truck with duels,That back bumper is so greasy its awesome! LOL!

I like the tires, I just got a garbage set for cheap so I could see how they look, the duals are touching on the drivers side but not the passengers, I'll have to swap wheels around to fix that.
That Webasto isn't on there anymore, robbed it for another truck, but they're good for being mounted with that side pointed up, can't be mounted the other way though. I didn't like it there anyway, it caught a lot of road debris and was covered in oil when the front crank seal let go. I like to tuck them away in the engine bay now. Had it tucked under the battery tray in my '96, stays much safer there. I think in the crew I'm gonna bury one low in between the inner fender and the core support

I'll put one more up of the First gen for now, one of my favorite pictures of it right after it came out of the shop with the 6 speed in it

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
There was a webasto in the engine bay of the second gen my daughter has. It was missing when we got the truck. I’m going to put another one in the same spot.

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was a webasto in the engine bay of the second gen my daughter has. It was missing when we got the truck. I’m going to put another one in the same spot.
Where abouts in the engine bay? I'd be curious to see. Even where mine was I had to do some dicking around and splicing in some 90 degree rubber hose bends I had lying around. The heater hoses were nice and short though. So not a lot of wasted heat leaving the rubber on the way to the engine

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My buddy that lives in Moab has a sweet landcruiser like that one. His is not a diesel but has factory lockers and all the good stuff. Old man emu suspension and all set up for camping. It will pretty much go anywhere on 285s. I did the head on it years ago.

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Where abouts in the engine bay? I'd be curious to see. Even where mine was I had to do some dicking around and splicing in some 90 degree rubber hose bends I had lying around. The heater hoses were nice and short though. So not a lot of wasted heat leaving the rubber on the way to the engine

I’ll take a pic for you when warms up... I got her truck on a do not touch it order! :haha:

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
You still have the dana 70 outa that 95 Cummins?
I got a van 14 bolt with 373 gears. :whistle:

I see what you’re drivin at, haha, if you don’t mind waiting until the spring. I’m off again in a few weeks here for work. Won’t be back till April. Hopefully start wrecking the truck as soon as I’m back. It’s all together and runs and drives right now

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
My buddy that lives in Moab has a sweet landcruiser like that one. His is not a diesel but has factory lockers and all the good stuff. Old man emu suspension and all set up for camping. It will pretty much go anywhere on 285s. I did the head on it years ago.

I definitely can’t wait to wheel it, I’ve heard nothing but good things and that they’re very capable rigs on the trail. It’s gonna get put through it’s paces this summer in Northern BC

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I see what you’re drivin at, haha, if you don’t mind waiting until the spring. I’m off again in a few weeks here for work. Won’t be back till April. Hopefully start wrecking the truck as soon as I’m back. It’s all together and runs and drives right now

Lol! I might have a few things you would be interested in for the 3+3. You might have somethings off the donor I could use for our Dodge.
Might work out good for us both.
I’m in no rush! Kids bought a car to drive for college so I got lots of time to fix up her truck for her. Let me know what your looking for? I got a nice set of 52s as well.

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol! I might have a few things you would be interested in for the 3+3. You might have somethings off the donor I could use for our Dodge.
Might work out good for us both.
I’m in no rush! Kids bought a car to drive for college so I got lots of time to fix up her truck for her. Let me know what your looking for? I got a nice set of 52s as well.

I’ll make a list for sure. I’ve got no shortage of dodge parts if you need. Most of that truck will be up for grabs, and I’ve got my white crew cab filled to the brim with engine and drivetrain parts

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd add some more pictures to steer this thread back towards the squarebody before I go dark for a few months. Had to knock a bunch of snow off and the inside is storing some tools and recycling, but it should be good enough to get an idea of the condition of the truck.

The interior is in really nice shape. All the power windows work, albeit some a bit slower than others, and the seats and carpet are in good shape minus a few small tears

Milage is in the 200,000s, the dash has got some cracks and the plastic vents are getting a little tired, but the dash and gauges are in better shape than some of the other crews I looked at

Back seat is nice, the carpet and bench are immaculate, I wonder if anyone has ever sat back there. Not sure on the white pillar trim and headliner, the rest of this truck interior is red

The driver's side of the truck is much rougher than the passenger side body wise, I'm going to need to do a box side and rockers for sure. Not sure on re-skinning the doors or just putting on "new" ones that are in better shape that I have lying around. It's a shame, the doors are tight and close so nicely and gently. A fine departure from all my Dodges that required a two hand slam and a running start :rotfl:

The 6.2 under the hood is nothing special, I've replaced the starter on it and added the bracket, that's about it. It's going to be a shame to tear it out, this thing has been very reliable and runs fine

The passenger side is almost minty, minus the rockers. The bed floor is also in fine shape. Shouldn't have to do much work to this side of the vhicle

That's all I can get for now, the next thing I'm going to need to get is motor mounts, and I may be picking up a transmission this week. I've thought about building my own but i don't have many fabrication tools at my disposal right now with not having a garage or shop. So who has put a 12 valve into a square and what are the recommendations for mounts?

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Rob bonney crossmember kit is leading the pack. 2nd gen motor mounts just dont go bad.

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rob bonney crossmember kit is leading the pack. 2nd gen motor mounts just dont go bad.
I’ve seen a lot of those on here, and it looks like they’re built really well. Only issue is they’re a weld in and I won’t have access to those kinds of tools for a while. I was considering hiring a mobile welder to come out and burn it in

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Found an interesting old picture on my computer of my C30 I had in high school

It was a zero budget, minimal knowledge and skill build. Thinking back to some of the things I did on it makes me cringe now, but it could stand as a lesson of exactly how not to do a build, haha. Luckily it was eventually chopped up and parted out

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Made what I think to be the 3rd biggest purchase on this project, found me a 5600. I was looking for a core to rebuild, but a buddy hooked me up with a running take out for a fraction more than a blown up core

I’m still going to take it apart and check the bearings and things, and adjust the shaft free play, as I’ve read they do better with a a tighter clearance on the main and countershafts, and the last one I built like that is still going strong. I’ll also get the case sandblasted and painted, and make it look all pretty. I was going to go the core route and rebuild, but I’m quite pleased I won’t have to mess around with pressing the shafts apart to do syncros now

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Made what I think to be the 3rd biggest purchase on this project, found me a 5600. I was looking for a core to rebuild, but a buddy hooked me up with a running take out for a fraction more than a blown up core

I’m still going to take it apart and check the bearings and things, and adjust the shaft free play, as I’ve read they do better with a a tighter clearance on the main and countershafts, and the last one I built like that is still going strong. I’ll also get the case sandblasted and painted, and make it look all pretty. I was going to go the core route and rebuild, but I’m quite pleased I won’t have to mess around with pressing the shafts apart to do syncros now
That's pretty good.
How much did it run you if I may ask?

Top Bottom