CK5 Forums

Take a few seconds to register your free account to post topics or questions, and view exclusive content!

‘86 K30 Crew- From Sierra to Silverado, & a Cummins

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah your bored and out of town for work. Lol!
Every once in a while I see a good deal on them never with 410s though. Kind of rare being a single wheel axle.
Oh yeah, nothing to do but browse parts and inquire on things I have no way of buying, haha. Buddy of mine is getting rid of a cab, a full crew cab and doors with all the rust repair done. Thinking long and hard on that one, too

Honestly with a Cummins I wouldn’t want 4.10’s unless I was running a 37” or bigger and still pulling lots of weight. With 35” rubber and a six speed the 3.73’s are perfect
I’d definitely want 3.73, I’d be regearing anyway as my front axle is 4.10. It just would be nice to have a limited slip and disks

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a cummins in my Ford and it had 4:10 gears. Only reason it worked was because it had a 5 speed ford manual trans and a gear vendor on top of it. My brother in law that owned it before me always said it would be better with 3:73s. Original owner had built it around a 35" tire though and it had been dropped to 285s.

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I've made it back home and started to try to get the project back on the rails. Took my 5600 to store in a buddy's shop because I have no dry place to store it right now. Pulled the shift tower off to have a look inside, and my dumb ass manages to drop the 10 mil into the drink :haha:

Started cleaning it up and pulled the PTO covers to inspect the gears and fish that socket out, the gears look really good inside and the oil was in decent shape

I'm at a crossroads now, my buddy is halfway through a trans swap on his 92 W250, and he's using an NV4500. We talked it through and I may sell him this 5600 to swap in, as I have little chance of getting my shop in the ground and getting into the guts of my project for quite some time, what with the current events and whatnot. I have plenty of time to find another one. Got a picture of the 5600 and the 4500 side by side, though. Gives a good idea of the size difference

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Found my buddy a killer deal on an NV5600, so my trans will remain mine. Drove a few hours south to get it, pulled it down, and inspected it. Supposedly it was rebuilt but had the end play on the shafts set incorrectly. Easy fix. Buddy also cleaned up and painted mine for me while he was bored in the shop. If any more of these things show up it might be time to seek help, haha

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
NV5600’s and G56’s are tough to find here in AK
Maybe I can talk You Alberta boys into finding me one .

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Found my buddy a killer deal on an NV5600, so my trans will remain mine. Drove a few hours south to get it, pulled it down, and inspected it. Supposedly it was rebuilt but had the end play on the shafts set incorrectly. Easy fix. Buddy also cleaned up and painted mine for me while he was bored in the shop. If any more of these things show up it might be time to seek help, haha

Did you buy the one in Stettler?

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
NV5600’s and G56’s are tough to find here in AK
Maybe I can talk You Alberta boys into finding me one .

I just seem to get lucky, someone I know always knows someone selling them cheap, haha. I could definitely find you one if you wanted, they seem to be plentiful in Alberta and with your dollar you’d definitely come out on top

Did you buy the one in Stettler?

Nope, mine came from North Cooking lake and we grabbed the new one from Innisfail

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t have much to report on the crew, I’ve still got 2 feet of snow and minus 12 during the days, although the snow is leaving pretty fast now. I know some folks didn’t mind seeing my old Ram, and that’s what I’ve been busy on the last few days. Not supposed to be leaving the house anyway. So it’s now single rear wheel, got some decent used Toyo’s on it and hopefully it’ll be going for an out of province inspection soon. I’ll need this rig to pick up parts for the crew anyway, haha

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
I seen you on ACR and IH8MUD not creeping you just like the pages your on! :D
Oh yeah, haha, I go through waves of wanting to sell that cruiser and then wanting to keep it forever. It’s gonna stay up for sale for now, if it moves, cool, if not, I’ll just keep driving it :waytogo:

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
I swear more crap painting gets done in my buddy’s shop than actual work. He finished the red green monstrosity for his first gen Dodge

I checked the end play in mine and had to order some shims. In the meantime I just hammered out the input seal as it was starting to leak. Might as well do it cause I’m there and it’s easy now

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
The last piece of the drivetrain puzzle has fallen into place, buddy of mine traded a divorced Ford 205 he had lying around for a Dodge 29 spline 205, and he sold it to me. I’ve been passively looking for a 29 spline 205 for the last year, they’ve gotten considerably harder to find since I last built a truck. So that’s a load off the old mind

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Little bit of progress yesterday, got the white crew sitting back on an axle. It’s a Dana 44, but it will more than do to move the truck around and get it into a shop. Speaking of which, the shop should be up on the next few weeks, and then the trucks will really be torn in to

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Minor update, still waiting on the shop to really tear into the build. But I did manage to pick up a nice box side today. Just needed one, took forever to find someone who wouldn’t only sell them as a set. Now the body panels are all taken care of

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally got the shop up, pulled the donor in and it’s ready to tear apart! The shop has a long way to go yet, there’s no apron on the front so I had to drive through the yard, but it’s a covered place to work finally. Plan is to pull the engine and part out or scrap the rest, I’m jumping the gun a bit here but I need to downsize the fleet and get things out of the yard. Tear down commences tomorrow!

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lots of progress today! Finally got the donor engine out. Did it ever fight. I’ve pulled ISBs out of lots of things but never had this much trouble. I’ll take the criticism for my methods, it’s my own life in my hands after all, haha
Now that it’s over with, time to decide how to proceed next. I want to pull in the crew cab and start the tear down, but logic dictates I should finish the shop first. So for now I’ll probably separate the trans, clean up the engine, remove the accessories I don’t need, and part out what’s left of the dodge

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kicked the donor truck out today, someone bought the roller, with selling pieces off it I’ve pretty much broke even on the purchase price while gaining the engine, so that’s a win for me :waytogo:

Mounted it to a Canadian Tire engine stand, note the safety tire, I don’t trust the thing. It sagged pretty good the last time I had a 12 valve short block on it, haha

Started pulling accessories off that I won’t need, like the heat exchanger for the auto trans, and things I don’t want to blast with the pressure washer, like the alternator and turbo. Started cleaning it up, not sure how deep I’m going to get into it. Definitely a basic reseal, crank mains, oil cooler, exhaust manifold gaskets. Might do a head gasket, if for no other reason than to inspect the top end

Also salvaged a fairly new looking MBRP exhaust from the parts truck, I’m sure it can be used in the Chevy with a little modification. The downpipe is still only a 3” inlet for the Hx35, but I really want to put an He351 off a newer 3rd gen on it, like I seem to do with every 12 valve I end up owning

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Scored a deal on a webasto today, never been installed, 400 bucks! Couldn’t say no. For now I think it’s gonna go on the first gen, as the crew cab won’t be anywhere near ready for this winter, and a heater is an absolute must in Alberta

Also seems like a good time to toss on these minty suburban doors I picked up a while back. Power everything, blue interior panels but I’m not too concerned about that right now. Gonna be a shame to toss the original doors in the scrap metal bin, but they’re pretty shot. Can see the speaker through the driver’s door, haha

I’m not going full speed on the crew cab just yet, I have a few things to do on the first gen so I can drive it daily in the winter. I know it’s barely even summer yet, but time flies when you’re having fun

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Made some hard decisions yesterday, decided to let the white crew go to a new home. I really wanted to build them up side by side but it’s probably better to dedicate time to one truck rather than two. Even with the white crew and the donor dodge gone, I still have 2 daily drivers in addition to the red crew, and they both want attention, too :haha:

The build is slow right now, but she will pick up!

Top Bottom