CK5
Register an account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

1991 Volcano K5 - Family Wheeler - Fully Independent Twin Turbo BBC

How'd you get it up there?

The Rock Comedy GIF by Baywatch Movie
 
I did something I don't recommend after doing it. I used 4 tie down straps, the kind you just pull by hand and they have a cam release. I couldn't use ratchet straps because the ceiling is over 12 ft and those things run out of travel quick. So I ended up moving the stool around each corner while I picked up that corner and pulled the strap down tighter. I had to do this for each corner, and after each time round I would raise it a couple inches. Then repeat, again, and again, and again. Then the last few rounds I needed the ladder I had used to mount the 4x4s up there.

But after starting it, it didn't feel very safe, until I finally got the chains hooked up. But I couldn't let it back down reliably either. I will have to do something more secure to get it down when the time comes, because releasing one of those types of straps would not be smooth. Anyway, don't do what I did. :doah::thinking::rotfl:

After I got the chains hooked up I ripped a 2x4 in half, and screwed a 2x2 on each side to keep it from spreading, with an extra piece on each corner to prevent it from sliding off. Figured that should be safer.
 
Last edited:
You can install a rope and pulley system before you lower it back down. I'm using the Harbor Freight hand winch and it works great. Just flip the lever and crank up or down. When you do the math, you'll see it takes a long run of cable along a wall or ceiling to get the floor to ceiling lift.
 
My dad bought a Vevor brand ceiling hoist/winch from Amazon for like $200 or less. Got me thinking you could build a platform or something and winch it off.

Either that or modify one of those “tall garage lowering/raising” storage platform things I’ve seen around.
 
Top Bottom