CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

72 k5, sons first truck build.(officially NOT mine now..)

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
shady submitted a new Build:

72 k5, sons first truck build.(officially NOT mine now..)

Well, I thought I'd go ahead and start this one but it may take a while between updates. Some how I lost the pics of before it went in the garage. Space is tight so bear with me on pic quality. This is what I've compiled so far.

View attachment 112254

View attachment 112255

View attachment 112256

View attachment 112257

View attachment 112258

View attachment 230973

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
this truck is being built as a reliable DD with 15 footer looks. I supply tools and materials. then i tell him what needs done explain why and he does all the work. this way when he's done he can stand back and tell his buddies
I DID THAT:D I lend advice and strength were needed. As you can see space is an issue:confused: More to come real soon.

DSC01721.JPG

DSC01742.JPG

DSC01743.JPG

DSC01713.JPG

DSC01714.JPG

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Great coaching Shady. I still relish the time when I would be in the shop with my Dad, and he would coach me along on stuff. Now he comes to my shop and helps me. Its been a great ride with him helping when he can.
How does your boy earn his money?

Stomis

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
DRI air cleaner?

DRI.png

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far he doesn't earn any money:doah:But he wants a job pretty bad. His grades had issues so I told him to wait. I havent given him lots over the years in an effort not to spoil him. So this one I'm going whole hog on. NEW gm performance 260hp 350, rebuilt tranny, wiend intake, holley street avenger carb, msd hei distributor with 6al control, ceramic coated headers. Moto Metal skull wheels and (metric equivelent)34x12.5x17 nitto terra grappler tires. so far. :rolleyes:

The A/C probably won't be hooked back up but not sure. Depends on if I can find all the parts to do it. Its getting a soft top so:dunno: I have the JD squared model 32 bender so this summer it'll get a full cage and some bumpers. He's talkin satin black with purple air brushed skulls and a few other things. Rattle can chrome pieces here and there. hes leavin the interior metal red with black diamond plate door and bed side panels.
I tell him ideas and show him pics of other trucks and he has made all choices on what direction to go.

70jimmy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
Excellent! If it makes him happy on him making decisions, let him run with it as long as it doesn't affect safety or dependability.

Dad and I still like to get together and work on anything mechanical or construction oriented even though he lives 1,000 miles away.

There are a couple pics :rolleyes: on here of mine if he wants to look and decide man I am NOT doing it like that. :dunno:

magik235

Still Alive
Reaction score
Your son is lucky to have a dad like you. Your project has a great start. I have to work in a small space like yours but at least it is warm and dry. Good luck to both of you.

SUPER'BURB

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Cool!!

I plan on getting a 73-75 in a couple years for my 2 oldest boys (8 & 10 now) to start on in the same manner.
I remember what my Dad taught me and am VERY grateful.

I think a lot of kids now want it all done for them and end up not being able to do anything for themselves. You are saving your son a ton of money down the road and making his future learning curve much better
:waytogo:.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah all the guys I work with tell me ,( Its his first car, Hes just gonna wreck it like they all do) I explain to them that everybodys first car is usually some $200 POS that they cant stand and their parents paid for it anyway, Of course they treat em like crap they hate it and have nothing invested in it of thier own. My boy will have his own time, blood, sweat and tears in this. and its a major self esteem builder seeing something awsome that you created. Teens nowadays need as much of that as they can get. My first truck was a 78 scoutII that me and my dad put together out of 2 trucks. We basically swapped motors and axles. then made a shackle flip for it. It was still a POS , but it was MY POS and I was proud of it. :D

jt512

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yeah all the guys I work with tell me ,( Its his first car, Hes just gonna wreck it like they all do) I explain to them that everybodys first car is usually some $200 POS that they cant stand and their parents paid for it anyway, Of course they treat em like crap they hate it and have nothing invested in it of thier own. My boy will have his own time, blood, sweat and tears in this. and its a major self esteem builder seeing something awsome that you created. Teens nowadays need as much of that as they can get. My first truck was a 78 scoutII that me and my dad put together out of 2 trucks. We basically swapped motors and axles. then made a shackle flip for it. It was still a POS , but it was MY POS and I was proud of it. :D

Agree 100% :bow: :waytogo:

I can't wait until my son is old enough to really help, although he will one day end up getting our cummins k5 , when first car time comes we will be building it.
I did it the same way, 14 years old, started with a $300 cj5 and a year and a half later had a lifted , v8 powered cj on 35's .

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesnt take much. Get em something that they like the style of, then let em pick out some rims in your price range and paint it. Just something to make it theirs. We got a caprice wagon in town thats white with stock woodgrain sides. They put a set of wide tires on torque thrusts on it and tinted the windows plus a cowl hood. Thats it. my kid loves it. Before I showed him that one I showed him a stock one just like it and he said UGLY. Anything can be cool.
The only condition my kids blazer has on it is , HE HAS TO HAND ME A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA TO GET THE TITLE. g.e.d don't coun't. :eek1: if not we sell it and I keep the money. His grades are WAY up:thumb:

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It doesnt take much. Get em something that they like the style of, then let em pick out some rims in your price range and paint it. Just something to make it theirs. We got a caprice wagon in town thats white with stock woodgrain sides. They put a set of wide tires on torque thrusts on it and tinted the windows plus a cowl hood. Thats it. my kid loves it. Before I showed him that one I showed him a stock one just like it and he said UGLY. Anything can be cool.
The only condition my kids blazer has on it is , HE HAS TO HAND ME A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA TO GET THE TITLE. g.e.d don't coun't. :eek1: if not we sell it and I keep the money. His grades are WAY up:thumb:
Good for you! I like the motavation for yous sons grades.:waytogo:

Deuling

“I like to make things”
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Man thats great!!! I wish my dad would be that interested in my trucks, he has all kinds of pics of building them when he was my age, but when I talk about it all he sees is wasted money :doah:. But he is willing to help me when i need it, even though he basically takes over lol.

But your definatley a great dad man, doesnt matter how he makes it and what anybody thinks, if he likes it, its Badass. Thats my motto.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, we will be starting on it again real soon. Its getting warmer and hes getting interested again. We probably only have about one good saturdays worth of work to make it driveable. Maybe a whole weekend :dunno: Still not much. Once we get it out I can set up the bender and start on his cage.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Agreed Shady....its too easy to give in sometimes especially with a daughter....but if they stick to your plan, good results will come out of it:waytogo:

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd say fix the A/C. I hate it when people rip the A/C out.

Martin

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll probably fix the A/C as you said, I just dont really know ch1t about them or if its all there or not. I'm sure he's gonna want it though.
We're supposed to be starting back in on it tonight, but his mom is moving in with us so I dont know if we'll get to it.:dunno: Tomorrow we'll put some time into it for sure. Probably just make room to work around it tonight.

Top Bottom