CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
76zimmer submitted a new Build:

77K5. The IronMaiden....Lunched the trans.

I'm just getting started on my build of my 77K-5, and don't really have any earth shattering items that would be any different from a lot of what's on here already. 454, T400, 203/205, 14BFF Detroit 4.56, D60 Lockright 4.56.
Crossover, 6" lift. Bla Bla Bla.

View attachment 229927

thanks @Bent77 for the detailed page listing!

Read more about this build here...

This page includes parts gather and wheel cleaning

page-4 Shaving a 14BFF pig, Cab/Chassis axle width vs ¾ ton
page-6 DIY4x single piston rear brakes, longer wheel studs (dually), 14 BFF build
page-10 Frame boxing (see DIY4x)
page-15 tank relocate
page-17 TH400 rebuild 1.0, trans oil cooler, engine specs, kingpin repair

page-19 205 tear down, nastyz28 TH400 link
page-24 Fresh engine parts ready for assembly
page-32 Start of hydroboost, 6.2 Radiator, 2wd box
page-34 S&W cage, DIY4x traction bar kit
page-45 Aluminum radiator link

page-52 Engine start up
page-55 Doubler cradle mount
page-61 Wraptor kit installed, rear shocks, exhaust over transfer case
page-70 Fuel tank, frame plumbing, cupapalooza
page-75 Frame work and Spring eye hanger relocation

page-79 Frame blasting, paint, and assembly prep
page-84 body back on the frame
page-85 Eric and the build party for the cage, sliders, tie ins. Rear bumper end of page 86
page-93 Remodeled rear cage
page-105 new wheel tubs

page-115 front shock mounting
page-117 radiator shroud mounting business
page-119 Assembly and paint and assembly and…
page-131 TH400 attempt 1.4 at Coan
page-133 On the road to the Blazer Bash 2011 adventure

page-140 Crew cab comes home
page-150 New Air Compressor
page-152 Skid plate shenanigans, Bead locks
page-161 painted bead locks, insert shenanigans
page-164 Start of hydro assist

page-173 Maiden goes to the Dunes
page-179 Start of Fuel Injection talk
page-185 New fuel tank math (mock gas tank in CAD, and the downward spiral to cutting!!)
page-198 Battery tray
page-205 New tank install, fuel system upgrades

page-213 Start of FAST injection install
page-217 Dunes with FI
page-221 Breaking Stuff at Bundy!
page-228 TH400 #5, I mean 2.1
page-238 THE burn out video

page-241 Bundy Hill 2015
page-250 Zim goes camping (Overland Adventure)
page-255 Bead locks finally…
page-257 Death of trans 2.1 (#6 BTW)
page-261 Factory HiPo TH400 converter (TH400/203/205 out post 5220)

page-265 Killing tranny’s! #7
page-266 Line pressure kit number
page-269 More parts for the needy Maiden! Start of rear axle woes

Last edited:

NorCal_Chris

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think they need to make a build thread section just for this. Commonplace on many of the car forums i used to frequent and was a good place to go to to get ideas and see some sweet rigs. that way they are all in the same place too

rxm6

Registered Member
Reaction score
I agree with NorCal. I would love to see a bunch of build threads in one place. My truck has been stripped down already and is ready for paint, but I haven't posted any photos yet or anything because I don't really know where to

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it... as long as the non-members could view...

sometimes I regret turning my thread into a "build thread".... I know for a fact that there are certain members here who never look at it, and often think I should be doing individual threads on projects... but it does keep it all in one place...

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it... as long as the non-members could view...

sometimes I regret turning my thread into a "build thread".... I know for a fact that there are certain members here who never look at it, and often think I should be doing individual threads on projects... but it does keep it all in one place...
Yours is probably the most successful, most viewed thread on the site Paul, I feel its a must to check it out every couple days to see what new and innovative on "Project Overkill" OK, that's just the way I think of it anyway, in a most complementary way of course.
That would be my biggest reason for a thread Paul. That is to keep it all in one place. I have made a dozen posts or so, just trying to get some answers on questions about certain things. I don't know if thats more successful or not, than posting a build thread hoping people will chime in to help, because I'm sure going to need some. There will be some ground on this project that I haven't covered in my years of tinkering.
Anyhow that's just why I was asking, about a one thread "project Iron Maiden" build, or just keep posting questions as I have them.

Last edited:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm not sure if mine has become epic at this point, or a monster..... :doah::crazy:

I think for mine it does kinda work.. It seems people do go back and look thru it.. tho I've looked back at some of the convo's, pic's and mods, and......

the thread IS freakin huge.. :doah:

I suppose it could be difficult to find stuff, but at least you know it's there somewhere... :haha:

i do watch who reads my thread, and I wonder if some have gotten turned off to it, and it's insanity.... :o:screwy::saweet:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
oh, and mine has gotten slightly sidetracked on occasion but I will make it a point to go do an occasional "question post" in the garage to help avoid that... 98% of the time it's me derailing mine as it is, but it does seem to self-right itself on it's own and stay on course..

that may be it's consistency, or maybe a "pat on the back to me" for putting sh*tloads of time and effort in... yay me! :haha:

actually i may not touch it this weekend.... :(

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
well there is a sh!tload of info on it for sure. It has me rethinking, and out-thinking myself on what I would like to do, or have time to do this first time around. I'd like to have this thing at least trail worthy by Late April. Which I know will kill a budget of 10K, and some compromises along the way also. I didn't want to do that with my Vette, and didn't, but it freaking took forever to get the thing done too. And now I would change some things if I had to do it all over again too, as a matter of fact I'm changing things still. Never done, seems to ring true.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
eesh, tonight, I'm contemplating 2 custom rear crossmembers and a $600 custom ss fuel tank.... what the F*CK is wrong with me?!?!?!!? :haha::doah::crazy::wink1::saweet:

all that, so I can not bump my bumper out in the middle for the winch and make my departure angle as good in the back as the front will be... :o

it's like thanksgiving with 3 platefuls of food going.... :haha:

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wouldnt' mind a build specific forum

And Paul your thread right now is a monster...............when you finish it will be epic :D:D:bow:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
eesh, tonight, I'm contemplating 2 custom rear crossmembers and a $600 custom ss fuel tank.... what the F*CK is wrong with me?!?!?!!? :haha::doah::crazy::wink1::saweet:

all that, so I can not bump my bumper out in the middle for the winch and make my departure angle as good in the back as the front will be... :o

it's like thanksgiving with 3 platefuls of food going.... :haha:
:haha::haha::haha:, that is some funnay right there.

And thats part of what I'm afraid of too. When I started my Vette it was just going to be a strip and repaint to get rid of flaking off paint. Well, the snowball started rolling, and took 15+ years to stop. :eek1:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
trust me, i'm cutting corners... :o believe it or not......

you may not see em, it may not affect longevity, whatever... but it has been an issue for me to get the truck done in a couple years... granted, I follow certain procedures as a long time body guy that will always guarantee some damn good quality.. but it's not always THE best it could possibly be... sometimes, but more often it's not.... for whatever reason, rushing to get done, yada...

it's all been about building with as few parts as possible, simplest construction, most effective tool, getting psycho at the end of a day and banging some stuff out, ...

I just knew, for as extensive as I was getting, I would have to curtail excessive hrs spent maybe prepping a part, excessive processes (guide coat, sealer), etc..

if it's a sane amount of mods, projects list, then you can be a little more detail orientated... you just have to decide what you can live with... :wink1:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well put Paul, I feel confident saying many would feel your thread is a ginormous "how to manual" for many of US. However your right in saying each has to decide what he can live with.

So, I guess I feel confident that the group can put up with my Project Iron Maiden, so here we go.

I got this K5 in 2005, the guy was desperate for money so I give him 500$ for it, and a C20 parts truck. neither had engines, the K5 has a T350/203 combo, and the 12bolt/D44 axles with 3.08's in em. The interior sucks, it has had the floorpans repaired, the frame looks to be in good shape, as well as the body support structures. Well at least for a MI. truck they look good. I'm so jealous of your western guys with your dry heat.

HPIM1305.jpg

HPIM1304.jpg

I've been aquiring parts since 06. I found a Wrecker, that had a T400/205, a D60front-Open, and a 14BFF rear with 4.56 gears in them. The rear C&C axle has a open diff in it, which has some abuse, and the C20 parts truck mentioned earlier has a 14BFF with an open diff in it. So I will use the open diff carrier w/ 4.56 gears in the C20 axle, along with a Detroit Locker.

HPIM1301.jpg

HPIM1302.jpg

HPIM1306.jpg

Some spare transfer cases:
a 205 from a T350, and a 203 from a C6

HPIM1308.jpg

Last edited:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
More pics of the 454, and tires/wheels:

I picked this up for 500$ off Craigslist, with 2 sets of heads...one peanut port, the other large oval, but can't really find what the casting number goes to. I think they are 136 heads. I found the set of 781 heads on C/L also for 100$ what a steal. Although they do need to be completely rebuilt, and we will upgrade to 2.19/1.88 valves, and do a massage on the bowls, and gasket match the intake to them.

HPIM1303.jpg

HPIM1309.jpg

Got these tires through C/L also, put in a want add for 38-40" mud tires, and a guy calls me from 150miles away, and says he's got these TSL's 39.5/16.5 for 600$ but negotiable. I found another deal for some 38? boggers with wheels for 1125, so I took that add with me, and the guy took 450$ for these.

HPIM1300.jpg

I got these wheels from......take a guess....yep C/L 200$ and a lot of cleaning with a fine wire wheel in the drill. Hitting them by hand produced practically nothing in an hour. I spent about 8 hours on them with the drill, and some polish.
I then had them mounted and balanced with silicone beads instead of stick on weights. The dismounts of 4 throwaway tires/ mounting of the TSL's and the silicone balancing for 4 tires was 105$.

HPIM1296.jpg

HPIM1297.jpg

HPIM1299.jpg

My totals to date are:

K5/and a spare C20 ...600$
T400/NP205/C&C 14Bff 4.56/D60...900$
454 and 781 head castings...600$
Super Swamper TSL's and Dish Mag wheels including mounting and balance...755$

Balance to date: $2855, and still in dis-assembly mode.

Last edited:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
wth is that thing in the middle of the table?
Thats the original 3.55 rear diff out of my Vette. IRS type. It will be going in for a rebuild with the Rear axle for the K5.

obijuan

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
interesting, and you could polish the hell out of those wheels with a little more elbow grease and sand paper.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
interesting, and you could polish the hell out of those wheels with a little more elbow grease and sand paper.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing, then I look at the pile of parts that need to be rebuilt/cleaned/fabbed/sent out/prepped/sorted/etc. and just have to draw a line. This truck will get dirty, and beat on, so show quality is OUT OF THE QUESTION. I got my hands full with the Vette for that sadistic need.

Heres a thread(s) on the 781 heads/valve needs:
https://ck5.com/forums/threads/engine-builders-need-valvetrain-help.261656/#post-2610958

And a thread on the 454:
https://ck5.com/forums/threads/big-block-guys-identify-this-block.260762/#post-2599767

Frame differences thread:
https://ck5.com/forums/threads/k5-frame-differences-by-year.262940/#post-2627588

Last edited:
Top Bottom