CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

'89 R3500 Crew Cab 2wd to 4wd conversion & beyond

Started out with 2wd TBI350 with SM465 to current 4wd with 454, 700r4, NP241

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
We made it to Montrose this evening and decided to get a hotel room. We were fried and didn't feel like setting up a tent in the dark and rain.

Had to add 1.5 hours to the drive due to Hwy 50 closure for road work. Detour takes you far out of the way.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We made it to Montrose this evening and decided to get a hotel room. We were fried and didn't feel like setting up a tent in the dark and rain.

Had to add 1.5 hours to the drive due to Hwy 50 closure for road work. Detour takes you far out of the way.
But you got to see more of Colorado back road areas! I have only driven from Blue Mesa to Crawford once just to see it. Now you can say that you saw it!

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
But you got to see more of Colorado back road areas! I have only driven from Blue Mesa to Crawford once just to see it. Now you can say that you saw it!
I probably have driven more Colorado roads then you guys.
I have been pretty much all over.
Maybe some day I will wheel with something better than a stock jeep though, or my semi

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I probably have driven more Colorado roads then you guys.
I have been pretty much all over.
Maybe some day I will wheel with something better than a stock jeep though, or my semi
That's a pretty cocky comment considering that I used to run heavy wrecker and haul equipment, but this discussion doesn't need to be in Scott's thread.
My point was that there isn't much reason besides scenery or a detour to drive between Blue Mesa and Crawford. So he got to see a rarely traveled road, even though it delayed him.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty cocky comment considering that I used to run heavy wrecker and haul equipment, but this discussion doesn't need to be in Scott's thread.
My point was that there isn't much reason besides scenery or a detour to drive between Blue Mesa and Crawford. So he got to see a rarely traveled road, even though it delayed him.
I took it to pm

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
How’s today going? Out seeing more of Colorado?

Tnsejed

6al4v
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
BTW, anytime you want to run Liberty, Indy or Patriot I'm down. Right now though best time is to wait until it cools off a bit, maybe right after BB or something. We were there a few weeks ago and it was seriously hot.

To be honest it'd be fine taking your rig and running Liberty> out Indy, and then turning around and running Drop Indy> out Patriot. It'd be fine on Patriot as the wheelbase will help a ton. Patriot is a fun trail!

Last edited:

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't notice that much difference in the wheelbase; at least not on anything I've done yet. I think part of that is because I drive the C10 everyday and it's only 12" difference in wheelbase. In general, I feel like it's more appropriately sized. I also like that it looks like it's built to be on the trail and not just a pickup I thru big tires on to jam down the trails.

I'm really liking the tool box setup, but I need to work on the latches a little. I think I'll have to replace the hardware because they are loosening up. The little box/cargo hauling area worked well for hauling the cooler and bag chairs. Could have used the ability to hold it flat like a table, but being able to drop it all the way down makes loading super easy.

My biggest issue is the fuel level. I'm getting a signal from the sending unit, but it's nothing near correct. I'm wondering if there could be something going on with the wire between the tank and the gauge that is messing up the signal. We ran it out of gas at one point and I was about 100 feet short of coasting into the gas station. Had to push it the last little bit.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wonder if the plug into the cluster or the connection to the printed circuit could be part of the problem. It seems like my '90 has a similar problem.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I want to put an ohm meter at the plug and see what it reads and then check it at the dash to compare. It's still running thru the tank selector switch in the dash and I'm wondering if that contributes as well. We were having the same problem with Nick's truck, and ended up finding the sending unit wire caught under the cab body mount getting pinched.

If the ohms seem good at the tank, I may just run a new wire from there into the cab. I pulled the wire out of the dash harness to connect it to an aftermarket gauge. So in general I'm wondering if the signal is going thru too many junctions.

Honestly at this point, I should just rewire the fuel pump feed too. It's still going thru the selector switch as well. It would be pretty simple to run a wire from the tank straight to the feed from the EFI.

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Have you weighed this things since you did the shortening? I'd be interested to see how much you shaved off for weight

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Have you weighed this things since you did the shortening? I'd be interested to see how much you shaved off for weight
Nicole and I were just talking about weighing it not more than 10 minutes ago. I am going to here soon.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Sounds like we need to make another “test” trip before Blazer Bash!
I need to figure out why the rear tcase output continues to leak. First thing I'm checking is the vent to make sure it's not plugged.

Then need to see how the drive shaft angles are looking. The truck seems to get bouncy from 50-58. It's either gotta be tires or driveshaft; it's not felt in the steering wheel. I'm wondering if the driveshaft angle being off could cause the leak as well. Basically moving the output enough to unseat the seal lip.

Final change I want to make is to put the electric fans back in. I just don't like the mechanical setup. I have to keep the RPM up to get good cooling. So then it's like I'm always in a hurry wirh the fan roaring like a Freightliner moving down down the trail. I also feel like it's killing my fuel mileage. My MPG have been horrible since changing.

I may still use the mechanical fan for towing. I can swap between the 2 types of fan relatively easy. I'd still like to try the mechanical fan towing at least once to see how it does. And the MPG sucks while towing anyway so that's not an issue.

Top Bottom