Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Abusfullofnuns Suburban build- Rolling for now

Average User Rating:
3/5,
  1. Abusfullofnuns

Abusfullofnuns 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    In true Abusfullofnuns fashion.....I've started a small job that's not turning out to be as simple as I'd hoped.

I decided to install the ORD steering brace before I end up needing the frame repair kit. No sweat right?

All was going well, upper brace installed no problem. I had to remove the trans cooler for access.

IMG_0395.JPG

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Abusfullofnuns

Build(s):
    Then I went to test fit the main brace. Hmmm, something seems to be in the way of the end of the brace. External trans filter is using the hole I need. I guess it's time to relocate. I didn't like how vulnerable to damage it was anyway. One of the few questionable decisions by the PO.

I need a new 1/2" drill bit, so completion will have to wait. It never goes as quick as I plan.

Any issue with mounting the filter sideways? Other than spillage during filter change?

IMG_0397.JPG

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. bent72

bent72 Desert Solitaire Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Man I think it get it back on the block if it were mine

4. Abusfullofnuns

Build(s):
    It's for the trans right before the cooler.. Not sure there is room for it too far away from the front crossmember. I could move it up to the pass frame rail. It would increase the length of the run for the external cooler and it would increase the elevation change. That was my reasoning for leaving it on the xmember.

5. Abusfullofnuns

Build(s):
    Forgot to update the thread, but got the ORD steering brace installed. I didn't move the trans filter very far and kept it vertical for now.

I did notice there was an oil cooler hiding between the radiator and condenser. It's looped together, so I assume it was some sort of factory oil cooler.

Since I was on a roll, I reworked the shift linkage with much success. Seems to be much smoother and doesn't feel like it's in a bind. Pumped some grease in the u joints while I was at it.

I am thinking it's time to pull the dash off for repair/wrap. I'd like to have a look underneath.

View attachment 227969

IMG_0400.JPG

truck-oholic likes this.
  6. BAYBLAZER

BAYBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Build(s):
    do you have any pics of the engine bay

7. Abusfullofnuns

Build(s):
    Not any good ones, but I would be glad to snap a few. Anything you would like to see in particular?

8. Abusfullofnuns

Build(s):
    Dash is out and I am in the middle of repairing a bad case of the crumbles. I still need to apply some epoxy and repaint and texturizing.

Supposed to be picking up some buckets out of a early 2000s Corvette to install up front, but haven't been by to grab them. I think they should be relatively easy as they are pretty thin compared to other GM seats.

Lots of stuff waiting to be installed. My long term plans are somewhat iffy for gear reduction, so not wanting to do driveshafts twice is holding up suspension and steering work.

I'll post plans and a parts list later this weekend. I'm ready to get motivated and get this thing closer to done.

sreidmx and truck-oholic like this.