Edelbrock Proflo 4

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by 6872xtc, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Bent77

Bent77 lil meanie Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
  2. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    My truck has gotten rich and blowing black out of the tailpipe, especially on start-up. @Bent77 listened to it the other day and says that he heard an exhaust leak, which I don't hear and can't find visually. ( more proof of how my hearing isn't great)
    So I decided to save the tune and ECM settings and then go back to a base map. I discovered that I couldn't save anything as it told me that there was an error in reading the file. It did this for saving the current map and the ECM settings. And when I went to load a new base map, it would give me a warning that I could possibly damage the ECM or engine, and to only do so if instructed by Edelbrock tech. Well after a quick conversation with the Bent one, I did it anyway. I was running 5006 and dropped it down to the 5000 which is the smallest one in there. I had watched the LT fuel be around 19 a lot, and up to 25 at times with the 5006 map. It will turn that box red at 26. Now remember that I have a 354, so map 5000 is for engines 281-330 CID. It didn't ask me my engine displacement, just firing order. I was wondering if my elevation could be enough of a factor to be good with this. It now runs without black smoke at all, but I shut the self learn off. It came back on after I restarted it later. :dunno:
    I only went for a short drive down the road, so I don't know if things are completely better. It sounds on start-up, stumbling and searching. I adjusted the timing back to where it was before and it all smoothed out. After warm-up and adjusting the timing and idle speed, the IAC was right back to where it was without readjusting even though the instructions had stated to reset the throttle.
    I still can't see any sign of an exhaust leak looking with a mirror and flashlight. I painted the welds when I built the system so that they wouldn't look bad as quickly, and they look good as of now. No black spots or streaks. And I don't see anything at the collector, but..
    The search will continue..
    And I plan to contact tech support.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 selective wrench turner guy Premium Member

Build(s):
    i got to get mine in the shop real soon this week . i have noticed a little black in the pipe and random times it does a weird search for smooth idle . also this happened around the same time my dash autometer vac gauge lost half its normal reading range yet the tablet shows normal vac readings .

4. Fastereddie

Fastereddie Sorry if I offended you. Not. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    You can take a long piece of vacuum hose and stick one end in your ear. Take the other end and move it around all the connections. You may be surprised what you find.

5. Bent77

Build(s):
    He’s deaf AF

Pretty sure it’s an exhaust tick and not a lifter

Kain and Fastereddie like this.
  6. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    Yeah, @500$k5 told me that he hooks a vacuum T to a stethoscope then uses a piece of hose off of the tee to listen. I haven't tried to listen yet. Got some other things done around here and on my C10 though!
    And @Bent77 is always a wonderful helper with his commentary

Edit: I should elaborate that he told me to take the metal tip off of the stethoscope and then connect it to the Tee.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  7. Bent77

Build(s):
    You heard that?

8. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    So I believe that I have my exhaust problem fixed, I don't have many miles on it yet, but things are appearing to be much better.

But I had discussed the vacuum reading with @Bent77 and how it was showing -6.2 with the engine off. He had noticed his being similar. Peter at Edelbrock immediately asked me where I live and the elevation. He said that the MAP sensor is reading the lower atmospheric pressure. Ok..

And after talking to Peter, I may consider going back to the 5006 map as I am currently running the 5000 map.

Now as a side note, I had to call, wait for the automatic answering system to finally give me the option of a callback. Peter called me in approximately an hour.
    They must have more units in the field now and are getting more questions, but he was still very helpful and didn't rush to get off of the phone.

tenderfoot likes this.
  9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    What is the "5006 map" and "5000 map" mean? Is that a sensor designation or something in the software tuning? Or?

Kain likes this.
  10. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Sounds like the 5006 would be for larger displacement.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 selective wrench turner guy Premium Member

Build(s):
    pre programed base starting fuel and spark maps to help the system fire and run and tune faster than a full zero start learn curve . also some are for specific fuel psi injectors .

6872xtc likes this.
  12. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    As @sweetk30 posted, the designation numbers for the base maps.
    Yes the higher number is for larger displacement, but there are also camshaft specifications to consider, as well as how much vacuum the engine pulls. And I believe that the usage of the vehicle can be a factor. They have stock, street/ race, and race .. from what I remember.

I tried the smallest map when i was trying to find out why I was getting a rich condition. I saw it as a possible altitude compensation technique.