CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

One Piece at a Time: My 1985 Diesel Suburban

rderosier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Actually that one was called Down 'n Dirty. I remember because I didn't know anything about it so when we first rolled up to it I was a bit in shock. :haha: Especially when I heard you say "this is the one that's kept me up at night" and it was the first real obstacle. :rotfl:

Personally I thought Axle Hill was the most intimidating obstacle.
Yeah that was scary, the rock smooshed in my passenger door... Now it matches the other panels. Thanks rock.

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I remember because I didn't know anything about it so when we first rolled up to it I was a bit in shock. Especially when I heard you say "this is the one that's kept me up at night" and it was the first real obstacle.
It's the first time you get a real sense of scale for the obstacles on the trail. Every step is large, and there are more than a few stages to them. I agree that axle hill is the apex of that - two separate strategies employed to get up. Your truck did that one very well.
I was pretty sure I was biting off more than I could chew on that trail
Not even close. You've got the phat block, plenty of crawl, and now you've got the fake front locker trick.
Hopefully I can wheel with you again next year.
Same here. I'll be there!
Thanks rock.
That's what I said (more than once) while doing a quick scan under the truck this weekend.

And this about all I got done over the weekend. Gear is stowed, tools are cleaned and putaway, cylinders are ready for exchange, tires showed up the Monday I got back, scrap is ready to go, the new mini-mill is leveled and ready to make a proper mess, and old oil is all tee'd up for recycling. I put off so many small maintenance tasks while jamming on the truck, but got nearly all of them done the last couple of days. A clean workspace makes for a clear headspace.

And, that's my "thinkin' chair." Greg has his rugs. I have an obnoxiously patterned place to park.

IMG_4391.jpg

Back to work.

David

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It’s tough to make meaningful progress while recovering from eye surgery, but I’m whittling away at the steering ram, converting it from the single shear design to double.

The bolt would back off and even started to waller the threads. That’s going to change.

04900650-32F3-40E2-B116-2B0E8BE75646.jpeg

While I’m trying to avoid making sparks and dust, I’ve somehow rationalized carving on the ram mount as in-bounds. I doubt the doc would agree, but he doesn’t understand how fun it is to play with this mini-mill.

Can’t weld, yet.

David

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Glad the surgery went well. I know it’s tough to slow down, but the truck isn’t going anywhere. Let yourself heal and you’ll be building better than ever with the now super-eye.

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Done. It lowers the pivot of the heim about 3/8” from the single shear position. Maybe not much, but a fun little project.

ACEAD7AE-35BB-4FA5-B809-8506943ECF81.jpeg

D35FC7FE-1E8B-4682-877A-130A1694C85F.jpeg

David

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Eye must be feeling better?

Or, if not, you weld pretty well for a blind guy...
Much better indeed. By the time I went to weld, I was about 80% back to normal, and could see the puddle wetting out clear enough to keep the weld mostly straight. Machining the clamp with double vision was the real trick.

I’m just not good at sitting still, even when I’m temporarily 1/4 blind.

David

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 1:
80 miles in dirt up to Mike’s Sky Ranch, max speed 62, average 35, used all the travel, swaybar worked overtime, tires gained more pressure than I’ve ever had (25 to 32), and we ate more tacos.

What a day. Baja is awesome.

David

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 1:
80 miles in dirt up to Mike’s Sky Ranch, max speed 62, average 35, used all the travel, swaybar worked overtime, tires gained more pressure than I’ve ever had (25 to 32), and we ate more tacos.

What a day. Baja is awesome.

David
Man, such a tease. All that goodness and not even one pic?

Must be a taco coma. :saweet:

Top Bottom