CK5 Forums

Take a few seconds to register your free account to post topics or questions, and view exclusive content!

‘86 K30 Crew- From Sierra to Silverado, & a Cummins

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mind if I ask how much you sold the white one for?
Didn’t know it was up for sale...

I had it up on the Facebook for a little bit, but I ended up selling it to a buddy of mine for 1500. Didn’t really advertise it was for sale

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Transformation Tuesday, is what you could call this. Or maybe LEGO Tuesday. Got my good, or better, rather, box side put on. That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Also decided to cut down on the parts around the yard by putting on my good doors and scrapping the ones on it. 4 hours and one door later, we have this

I’m not a body or interior type of guy, I have attention to detail but very little patience for it. Took forever to get the damn connector on to the window motor, the door cards fought me for every screw and the door doesn’t line up

it’s already started to roll over the edge of the door from contact with the fender when closing. It’ll open, but I gotta lift up hard on the rear edge of the door. Also, the gap is out to lunch along the front part, too

Almost looks like the door is bent, but I’ll have to do some more lining up tomorrow. I hope to have all 4 grey doors on by the end of the week

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Find a 373 rear end for that yet?
I haven’t yet, but I haven’t been looking too hard. The more I think about it the more I want a disk rear end out of a newer truck

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
You still have a 14 bolt 3.73 lying around, eh?

Yup.Out of a Van! Not sure what year 70s early 80s it was a van turned into a garbage trailer and my neighbors place.
I was going to use it in my 77.

No limited slip and drums but if your interested let me know. The only reason I got it was because its a bit wider and kind of hard to find.
Still need a 355 geared D70 for my daughters Dodge.

Last edited:

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's been a while, and I really wish I had some solid progress on the crew to put on here. Unfortunately, I do not. I was chasing some oil leaks on my Dodge, turns out the blow-by was off the charts. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it had over 500,000 km, fuel was cranked and my teenage self often neglected maintenance. So I made the executive decision to borrow the engine I had pulled for the crew. That swap took a bit of time, as the engine was from a newer dodge, I also too the time to install the webasto and upgrade the charge air cooler

Fast forward being out of town for work, I finally got around to my long ago plan of putting a welding/ service deck on my 350. Still a ways to go, but I've been doing so much work on the side, its gonna be nice to have an actual service deck with tool boxes to work out of. Got some 3rd gen Dodge wheels getting a powder coat, and new rubber should be in this week!

But since this thread isn't about the Dodge, I have to mention the crew, as well. With the donor engine in use elsewhere, I don't foresee a drivetrain swap anytime soon. I plan to rebuild the '93 engine out of the 350, and install the P pump I have in the parts pile, but I imagine that's a ways off. So I would like to touch the truck up and daily it for a while. It has the 4 speed stick, but I was crunching numbers on a gear ratio speed calculator, and if I put the old 35s from my Dodge on it and drive at 2400 rpm, I can just brush 100 km/h, haha. Should be enough to get around. I've read the 6.2s turn into dogs with bigger tires, but I'd like to try for myself. That, and the hellish winter is just barely setting in, so I'll need to figure out some cold weather contingencies for it. Another Webasto is likely out of the question, but a plug in circulating heater would probably do it. The crew is not being neglected, just diverting course for a while

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My 6.2 K5 with 4:10 gears and 35 in tires does ok as a daily. It's got a 700R4. It gets to be a dog heading up the mtn to work. I just manually kick it into 3rd when I need to abd it does better. 16 mpg too. Even with new glow plugs it needs to be plugged in below 20ish degrees or a quick shot of ether.

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
My 6.2 K5 with 4:10 gears and 35 in tires does ok as a daily. It's got a 700R4. It gets to be a dog heading up the mtn to work. I just manually kick it into 3rd when I need to abd it does better. 16 mpg too. Even with new glow plugs it needs to be plugged in below 20ish degrees or a quick shot of ether.
I'm hoping the lack of overdrive will mean a bit more jamb. I'm not sure the sweet spot on these engine for rpm, but I think 2400 is a bit high. That being said, I'm sure it wont hurt anything except mpg, haha

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, over a year since I started this build thread, and so little progress, haha. Been busy, plans have changed a bit, been away for work a lot. I want to daily this thing for a bit as is when spring comes around, so I've been focusing on that when I have the time. Sold my JDM landcruiser and picked up a North American Lexus 450, and been working on the first gen Dodge a lot, too. Much more progress on that rig. Back to the crew, I couldn't make the suburban door I picked up line up nicely, so I found another one that is kinda beat up, but the colour is a lot closer. Since it's again so goddamn cold outside, I brought some doors into the dining room to swap the guts

I'd like to go back in time and cause physical harm to the GM engineer who designed the electrical plugs for the power window and lock motors, what a pain in the ass, haha. Also found myself a killer deal on a 1992 12 valve engine, so I went and picked that up. I have intentions of cummins swapping the Lexus, but that project would definitely overshadow the crew for a while. May have to flip a coin to see which rig gets shop time first

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally got a second, the stars aligned, and I was able to pull the truck into the shop to start some work. I decided a while ago that I don't have the time or resources to do this build how I want at this point, so I'm going to make this thing fit to daily and drive it for a while. Went and grabbed a battery for it, I like to run group 31s in everything because they're cheap and have plenty of juice, this one just fits in the stock location. I put a safety rag over the positive post just in case, haha. Only one for now, I'll grab a second when I'm ready to rip this thing around.
3.jpg

I took the old door off and installed the new one I had been working on in February. I didn't realize that the manual door didn't have the hole cut for the wiring to past through, so I had to make a passage. My hole saw wasn't having it, so a dremel with a zip disk did the job. A bit uglier, I might add, but it's covered by the wiring boot anyway. There were dimples already punched in the door for the two bolt holes for the boot, so I just drilled those out.
1.jpg

Panel isn't on yet, but a minute or two and the door was lined up and closes nicely! Also looks like it kinda matches (never mind the blue box side, haha)
2.jpg

So now I'm gonna start to pick away at the small things needed to be safe to daily. The list so far, which is by no means exhaustive;
- Find new rubber, the bigger the better (3 of these don't hold air)
- Properly torque axle U bolts (still haven't done that since the axle swap)
- Check all the fluids in everything
- Troubleshoot the radio not working
- Troubleshoot the fuel gauge reading well over full on both tanks
- Troubleshoot patchy power steering/ brake assist (thinking it's a loose belt on the pump)
- Get new cables for the parking brake
- Patch the exhaust (both sides are broken at the rear axle bump)

That's all I can think of right now to have this thing ready to roll as a daily driver. I have a line on some 35" rubber from a buddy, been playing with a gear ratio calculator, I'd need to spin 2400 rpm to hit 100 km/h on the highway. Seeing as my commute is all range roads and highway, this might be an issue. But I will sort that out when it's driving

K30guy

The Dude Abides
Premium Member
Reaction score
On your list sounds link you have an open sender wire or no ground.
2400 rpm is not a bad cruise range, mine likes @2600 for 70ish mph. Just likes it there.

For reference, I'm about 3200-3500rpm at 70mph and it's fine. Just loud.

Really? They like to run there? Guess I'm just used to my daily, the 12 valve basically just makes noise past 2200 rpm. I shouldn't have a problem at all doing 100, then

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, its a bone stock 6.2 with an SM465
6.2 would be ok at 2400, it can go to 3600 but it will tell you it doesn't like it by putting a hole in your wallet.
I have seen mileage cut in half by driving at high rpm

Top Bottom