4l80E to 700r4 help (99 burb)

Joe91M

Good enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 k2500 suburban with a 454/4l80e/246c. I am sick of replacing the transfer case. It's a crappy job on a good day with where I'm working. I happen to have a built 700r4 with a ford pattern (driver side drop) 205. Mechanically, I have no issues with the swap. It's a daily driver and my wife has a light foot. My question is what do I need to do with the engine management system to delete the inputs from the 4l80e? Cheaper the better and hopefully something easier than a standalone ecm. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Team208Motorsports

Its Magic Bitch
Reaction score
Reflash at a minimum but why not just put a real case in it? Put in a 241 and be done.

Swapping will open a can of worms you haven't thought of yet. Where are you getting speedo? Tv cable. No speedo no cruise and then abs issues......

Joe91M

Good enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been considering a 241, but I've blown up 5 in my 1500 lately. My other option is to just be down for a few weeks until the builder sends me a warranty replacement. The speedo is a non issue and abs is useless at best. I have a few driveshafts for parts, but the driveline shop offered me a good deal. I guess I just need to know what would be involved in a re-flash.

K30Blazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
How are you blowing up the 241? I know the case is aluminum and chain vs gear blah blah but I have never had issues from with my 208 or now my 241 and I have broken trans axles and driveshafts plenty of times.

Team208Motorsports

Its Magic Bitch
Reaction score
A reflash would just turn off everything not needed. That way codes are not popping up, TQ management isnt pulling timing during shifts............

So, back to the speedo is not an issue. That means your dash does not work, cruise does not work, is that okay?

bigblock72

Elmer's glue taste tester
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have a 99 k2500 suburban with a 454/4l80e/246c. I am sick of replacing the transfer case. It's a crappy job on a good day with where I'm working. I happen to have a built 700r4 with a ford pattern (driver side drop) 205. Mechanically, I have no issues with the swap. It's a daily driver and my wife has a light foot. My question is what do I need to do with the engine management system to delete the inputs from the 4l80e? Cheaper the better and hopefully something easier than a standalone ecm. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

If you can blow up a 241/246 with that kind of regularity then a 700r4 will last about 10 minutes. A 700r4 swap will be an expensive nightmare that you probably won't be happy with. I think you'll be money ahead by fixing a 241 to replace the 246 and be done with it.

Seriously what are you killing in these t- cases??? I have been running 241s behind 550+ horse supercharged motors for years and have yet to have one fail.

Top Bottom