CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

80 Jimmy - The Monkey Paw (Time to finish interior)

Idea with this was to build it robust, and simple, and utilitarian. KISS principal.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
JoshHefnerX submitted a new Build:

80 Jimmy - The Monkey Paw (Time to finish interior)

Build starts on post 34. Asked for these to be merged but it seems they got merged backwards. no biggie....

Just got done swapping out many parts on truck, have a bounce just as it starts rolling which quickly turns into a significant vibration by 10mph, which at that point starts a sound something between a metallic dragging and a banging - like a wobbling. I do not so much feel it in the steering as much as my ass/seat/floorboard.

Cannot seem to figure out where this is coming from. I can lift each wheel off the ground and spin by hand and the only anomaly I have found is that there's some warpage in one of the rotors which I posted in another thread. I've already taken it down to the parts store and had them turn it (on the hub). It improved a bit but there's still a tiny bit of warpage that I can hear by brake drag. I cannot feel that in the pedal, and I don't believe it's causing this severe vibration but worth noting. All other wheels spin smoothly, including the rear driveshaft (don't have a front driveshaft at this point).

How I got to this point was I have swapped a ton of parts.
Wheels (Black Rock 17x9)
Tires (Falken 37x12.5-17)
Axles (d60-f 10.5aam-r)
driveshaft (Tom Woods)
sye (ORD)
entire brake system (planned on outlining this in a future build thread)

These were all planned as upgrades on a 'build' not because I was chasing problems. The only used parts I used were the axles.

The pinion angle has been checked ( I had to set it when I put in the rear axle) and is 2deg low to account for axle/spring wrap.

I've had several people (not real mechanical) walk along side the truck and had various opinions where the noises are from, but no visible vibrations.

As dangerous as it is I may put the truck up on jackstands and try running it on there - I don't like it and would like some more mechanically able persons to be nearby to be able to help hunt this down.

I'm open to any opinions, and would like to invite phx area members to my house, as it's undrivable at this point. You can pm me for address/phone if you're willing to help.

Appreciate any help/advise given.

View attachment 230288

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm not far away and could possibly help, my buddy isn't to far away from you and I think we will be messing around with his k5 this weekend.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you, or both of you found some free time this weekend, let me know. You'd be welcome.

Started this adventure a few months ago and need to get it into emissions next month so I'm starting to feel pressure. Engine passed last year flying colors. Actually zeroed out a couple of readings.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a driveshaft issue

I've shaken both ends and the slip it seems tight. Changed to an sye, and bought a new driveshaft from tom woods. 1410's on each end. I've lifted both rear tires up off the ground and spun them by hand and didn't see any wobble, and was very quiet but I can double check for straightness. I also verified that there was no contact in/around the ujoint and straps. But I will get it up in the air again tomorrow and get it spinning and check for any wobble/alignment issues. I do remember at least one weight welded to the shaft for balance.

ClassicStyle

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was thinking out of balance, I've had one that was it of balance that shook the truck like a dog shitting - pine cone. But Being a new one that sounds unlikely, I'll continue to ponder this. Lol

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
You also added two (new to you) axles, did you go through those or just pop them in? Possible pinion bearing issue maybe?

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did not replace the bearings, but did spin them and check for slop/grinding. The innards on both were pretty decent. The rear moreso (had about 30 years less life). Front was from a cucv. There is/was no discernable play at the yoke, and both carriers spin quietly. I do plan on regearing the rear at some point in the next few months to match the front. Will get a front driveshaft at that time.

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Drive it. Have someone take video of it from another car.

Or get a go pro.

If completely by yourself put it in jackstands set up your phone to video. And get in the truck and run through the gears

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did pull out the gopro, but wont be able to record that until the weekend - cont believe there's enough light after work.

Phil513

Freakin' Sponge
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with this, but is it possible the U joints are out of phase?

diesel4me

1 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
Maybe the "new" tires and or rims are causing it...rim might be touching a caliper perhaps ?...no,you say spinning the wheels by hand shows only a slight drag ,like a warped rotor...maybe the rims are not seated properly where they go over the center pilot on the axle ?..

If you run the truck on jack stands,put them under the axles,so the springs will be supported as if the truck were being driven..letting the axles hang with jack stands under the frame will let the driveshaft angles change and cause more vibrations..ones you normally wont feel or hear driving it..put it in 4wd too,so all the shafts and wheels are turning..

You might have a u-joint with a needle trapped under a bearing cap..you should be able to pin down what it is by running it on jack stands and listening carefully ..

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with this, but is it possible the U joints are out of phase?
Going to take a good eyeball at the driveshaft tonight.

Maybe the "new" tires and or rims are causing it...rim might be touching a caliper perhaps ?...no,you say spinning the wheels by hand shows only a slight drag ,like a warped rotor...maybe the rims are not seated properly where they go over the center pilot on the axle ?..

If you run the truck on jack stands,put them under the axles,so the springs will be supported as if the truck were being driven..letting the axles hang with jack stands under the frame will let the driveshaft angles change and cause more vibrations..ones you normally wont feel or hear driving it..put it in 4wd too,so all the shafts and wheels are turning..

You might have a u-joint with a needle trapped under a bearing cap..you should be able to pin down what it is by running it on jack stands and listening carefully ..
The wheels are lug centric - conical lugnuts/seats. I've verified they are all torqued, but will eyeball the very closely tonight. I am nervous about the running on jackstands as I don't know that I've adequately described the level of shake in this. Think paint shaker at home depot.... If the rear end is the problem, I'm afraid of it bouncing off the jackstands. At this time it's a 2wd truck as the front driveshaft is out and needs replacement (besides being geared differently than the rear)

But the plan is to lift the rear end and get my wife out there to manually spin the tires while I eyeball the entire driveshaft area for anything that looks out of sorts.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The wheels are lug centric - conical lugnuts/seats. I've verified they are all torqued, but will eyeball the very closely tonight. I am nervous about the running on jackstands as I don't know that I've adequately described the level of shake in this. Think paint shaker at home depot.... If the rear end is the problem, I'm afraid of it bouncing off the jackstands. At this time it's a 2wd truck as the front driveshaft is out and needs replacement (besides being geared differently than the rear)

But the plan is to lift the rear end and get my wife out there to manually spin the tires while I eyeball the entire driveshaft area for anything that looks out of sorts.

If it's shaking THAT bad the issue should be really obvious with it on jackstands. Chok the wheels really well and have someone put it in drive, keep a safe distance and look at under it from behind.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'd think so, but I had the uncle drive it down the street w/ me running alongside it (at least as much running as I can being fat and out of shape) and didn't see crap.... But yeah, may attempt that this weekend. Don't want to rush that job...

riflerk20

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'd think so, but I had the uncle drive it down the street w/ me running alongside it (at least as much running as I can being fat and out of shape) and didn't see crap.... But yeah, may attempt that this weekend. Don't want to rush that job...
That's something I'd pay to see.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just eyeballed everything I could as closely as I could w/o using the dial indicator. Had my wife out there spinning tires around while I used my calibrated eye. Driveshaft is ruler straight. No wobble, both pinion and ujoints appear to be seated properly and no wobble there. Balancing weight is still attached. Checked the roundness of wheels/tires. All of the wheels appear to be centered and round. The only anomaly that I could see is that there appears to be some very small flat spots on the tires. All 4 of them, which should be from sitting on them.... I can't imagine I got 4 defective tires.

So this weekend I'm going to hook the gopro up and hang it underneath and drive it around the block. And see if I can gather a few more eyeballs to observe while I drive it on jackstands. After that I may have to see if I can find a driveline shop that has a rolling road of some sort...

I seems kinda crazy that it feels like a paint shaker and it's this damn difficult to figure out the vibration.

Top Bottom