CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

80 Jimmy - The Monkey Paw (Time to finish interior)

Idea with this was to build it robust, and simple, and utilitarian. KISS principal.

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm really interested to see what you find. Mine has the shakes too.

I can't seem to find it. But I have some crap parts like the rear driveshaft. Straight but it's crap

Big Ray

My Avatar Is Indicative Of My Daffitude
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I loved my time in Phoenix. I'd love to get back there.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Think I've got it narrowed down to driveshaft or transfer case.

Pulled the tires off the back and driving it slowly doesn't result in any visible vibrations, but noise does eminate from the tcase above a certain speed as observed during test drive. Pulled the driveshaft off and the tcase is quiet, can rev it, chop throttle didn't matter.

So one of 2 things is happening. 1. Driveshaft has a slight bend or imbalance that's shaking the tcase and causing general mayham. 2. tcase got jacked up when I did the sye, and the driveshaft is causing the helical cut gears to move things out of position in a way that's not happening under no load.

Next step is to take the driveshaft to have it examined for balance and trueness. If that shaft turns out ok, time to drop the tcase and see what's going on in there...

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Think I've got it narrowed down to driveshaft or transfer case.

Pulled the tires off the back and driving it slowly doesn't result in any visible vibrations, but noise does eminate from the tcase above a certain speed as observed during test drive. Pulled the driveshaft off and the tcase is quiet, can rev it, chop throttle didn't matter.

So one of 2 things is happening. 1. Driveshaft has a slight bend or imbalance that's shaking the tcase and causing general mayham. 2. tcase got jacked up when I did the sye, and the driveshaft is causing the helical cut gears to move things out of position in a way that's not happening under no load.

Next step is to take the driveshaft to have it examined for balance and trueness. If that shaft turns out ok, time to drop the tcase and see what's going on in there...
What tcase? JeffinCO had the same issue after going SYE

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Turns out my weekend is filled with running around crap....

Looks like you are on the right track to a fix.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
What tcase? JeffinCO had the same issue after going SYE
205 tcase - was from an 80 so later one w/ slip yoke. Used ORD SYE. Was a bear to do. Broke my snapring pliers wrestling w/ those heavy duty ****ers. Also, the yoke was tight as hell going on those splines. Called ORD about that and they said they're made tight... They certainly were. If I have to pull that thing off again, that's going to be a hardcore. Probably have to use the press.

Turns out my weekend is filled with running around crap....

Looks like you are on the right track to a fix.

I sure hope so... I'm not looking fwd to having to drop tcase again if that what it comes to. That was a chore.

No biggie, got a couple of people over to help eyeball things and the consensus is to start w/ the driveshaft. You're welcome to stop by any time. Shoot the shit or whatever

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Once I get the truck up and running we will meet up for sure. Do you have pictures of yours? What kind of wheeling do you do?

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
QUOTE="Babaganoosh, post: 3620118, member: 39468"]Once I get the truck up and running we will meet up for sure. Do you have pictures of yours? What kind of wheeling do you do?[/QUOTE]

I was going to do a build thread after I got past these couple of mechanical humps. Maybe I should start it here soon...

As far as wheeling, I'm not much into rock racing hardcore craziness and tons of body damage. Although it is fun to watch. My goal in the truck was to build it once, keep it simple and allow me to get where I needed to go, not necessarily the hardest route. I had a Jimmy about 10 years ago and had to sell it, but did a bunch of wheeling out towards 4 peaks. Drove atv's for a few years then got to0 busy to do either. Projects seem to keep cropping up.

This is probably the latest picture as how it sits now. And yes it has leaks... I know you're kinda obsessive about them... lol

Last edited:

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
For some reason I thought you had a long bed. Hehe, as far as the leaks I'm a complete weirdo and the little things bother the heck out of me.

Sounds like we are in the same boat as wheeling.

Phil513

Freakin' Sponge
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have a drip coming out of the vent hole in the rear yoke coming out of the transfer case. Dunno how to fix it, so I live with it.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
For some reason I thought you had a long bed.

Honestly, I like longer wheelbase trucks - subs or longbed pu but this was a deal I couldn't refuse... Almost literally. Wife's uncle came by, knew I missed my old 77 and gave it to me. Had to get rid of it.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Start build thread.

One day my Wife's uncle came over and handed me the title to the truck. Said he needed to get rid of it, couldn't work on it, couldn't climb into it anylonger. He knew I missed my 77 so he thought I'd have fun w/ this.

This is where it was when I got ahold of it.

He'd put some work into it but it sat for about 2 years getting garage rot so it wasn't running the best, even though it had basically a new goodwrench crate motor in it. Didn't like to start.

So, I started w/ the basics, tune up, carb adjustment, timing. Found the timing was waaay off. was like 12deg AFTER tdc. Found out there were 2 timing sets for sbc's and he'd mixed them up..

So I ordered a new balancer and timing tab matched to each other. Still had to crank a bit to fill up the carb but once running seemed ok more or less.

Then started looking at the body, wasn't a fan of the plastic strip running down the side and some suspicious spots on it got me wondering. And found some rust holes that someone had just bondo'd in.... oof..

It was about that time that due to circumstances I had to bring the truck home to work on.

Still wasn't happy w/ how it ran and it failed emissions... So I got to looking closer at it and found that one of the rocker studs #7I had begun pulling loose. And was making noise.

Then I found that #8I was doing the same thing. Pulled the heads off and found the back of the intake valves were heavily fouled. Never seen anything like that. Still not sure how it happened, but may have been an intake leak into the valley…? Those heads were crap smogger heads and by the time I got them rebuilt w/ screw in studs wasn’t worth the money.

Ordered some heads from Summit. Used their inhouse low compression replacement heads they were cheap and complete. Did some research and they’re basically a rebranded World Products Torquer SR.

Spent a couple of days stripping down the engine replacing the heads and building back up again.

Last edited:

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Decided to go through the carb while I had it off and found crap in the bowl.

Put it all back together and she’s running quite well. Still had to crank quite a while to fill up the bowl again though which bothered me. 10-15sec of cranking if you’d left it sit more than a day.

So I got to investigating and found that along the line someone had put in a rubber line section from the carb down to the fuel pump. And that rubber line was pinched. Replaced it w/ steel line and much better. It can sit for a week and takes about 5 sec to pump up now… Tolerable. If it’s set less than a day it’s starts w/ just a bump.

Took it down to emissions and it passed. Even zeroed out some of the readings.

Last edited:

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then I started looking into the body. Uncle was not a fan of the ‘truggy’ thing where you couldn’t recognize the truck, so I told him I’d give it a shot. And decided to replace the bottom of that quarter panel. Not much welding experience and body work. If it came out looking like poo then I’d just cut it off.. He was ok w/ that.

This was before any filler... don't seem to have one afterwards...

Came out looking ok I suppose. If you know where to look you can see it, but for a first shot, it’s acceptable. Esp for something that may get dented up at some point.

Last edited:

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Cool.

Unsure how old the picture of you in the avatars is, you might want to try that "just for men" beard stuff

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had read about some of the military guys using Behr house paint on their big trucks (2.5 and 5ton) And that it held up pretty well. So for about 75$ in supplies I decided to give it a shot. Cheap, and easy to repair if it got to torn up.

First attempt didn’t go well. Was too cold and moist out. Morning dew got me and much of the paint ran off the truck into the driveway… DOH!

So, second attempt I bought a cheap Horrible Freight hvlp sprayer and gave it a shot. Came out pretty decent. Has a bit of a texture to it. Not as much as bedliner but it’s not completely flat. Latex sprayed out kinda rough even after thinning it significantly. But I like it. Had a few people say they liked it.

Last edited:

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'll stop harassing you while you put your thread together.
Curious what your plans are when you get to that

Top Bottom