CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's the long and the short of it. Vacuum modulators, detent cables, fluid leaks... Suck. My th350 (freshly rebuilt) shifts to 3rd by 20 mph luckily I have torque on tap. Detent cable does nothing and yes it's properly adjusted.
Seriously considering another pedal... :poo:

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I miss my old TH350, except for the lack of OD. I had stock ones, but liked the one with a shift kit much better.
Governor springs, modulator adjustment and kick down cable all work together, in my experience. I say to start with the modulator. I think it has the most noticeable difference on part throttle shifts.
Just my .02.

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I started fooling with the modulator but it's not very noticeable. I feel it's beyond that but I don't know much about em. Just seems like there wouldn't be enough adjustment. What does the governor spring entail?
I had a manual valve body in but I hate shifting an auto. Something about the lack of pedal it just doesn't feel right.

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I feel ya. Mine works fine but it's still ghey.
Might just install the three pedal assembly while it's still auto to trick my left foot.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
How far did you turn the screw in the modulator? I suggest to go with a large adjustment to see what happens.
The governor springs can be changed by removing the round cover, which resembles the hub cover on the front of a 2wd wheel bearing. I don't remember which springs move the shift points up or down.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
There’s a dial inside those slushy makers that makes them go from ultimate suck to just marginally sucky

K5wrench

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Check the vacuum line.
Should be manifold vacuum.
Does it shift really soft as well?
Turning in the modulator screw will increase shift rpm as well as firm it up.
Shouldn't be that far off though.
I'd double check the vacuum line.

bigblock72

Elmer's glue taste tester
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's the long and the short of it. Vacuum modulators, detent cables, fluid leaks... Suck. My th350 (freshly rebuilt) shifts to 3rd by 20 mph luckily I have torque on tap. Detent cable does nothing and yes it's properly adjusted.
Seriously considering another pedal... :poo:

TCI makes a governor weight/spring kit that will make a huge difference. Lighten the springs and weights up some and you'll be a lot happier. Summit part# 326500

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The only thing I don’t like about auto is having a bunch of fluid that needs cooling and possibly failing out on the trail. Having said that, my 700r has been flawless and I prefer the torque converter over the clutch. Just easier to manage without doing a doubler of sorts.

FYI, ChrisPerrys big truck runs a th350 lol

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
How far did you turn the screw in the modulator? I suggest to go with a large adjustment to see what happens.
The governor springs can be changed by removing the round cover, which resembles the hub cover on the front of a 2wd wheel bearing. I don't remember which springs move the shift points up or down.

Check the vacuum line.
Should be manifold vacuum.
Does it shift really soft as well?
Turning in the modulator screw will increase shift rpm as well as firm it up.
Shouldn't be that far off though.
I'd double check the vacuum line.
I've turned the screw in maybe 2 turns. It does shift a little firmer but maybe it's the combo of 4.88/35"/rv tc?

Top Bottom