Ryoken's 96 Furd twofiddy

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
hmmm, never got those notifications.....

ok, upon further life evaluations, as much as it pains the inner "build the brain pic" in me, I'm gonna refrain for now on all new susp/axles/tires...

I just have too many financial/health "projects" in the air right now... I NEED TO GET OUT OF DEBT... I also have some hefty dental bills that are staring me in the face too.. tho, I may still consider popping on those axles as I think it's a damn good deal for down the road...

sooooooo, here's the revised plan... ;)

got the ds painted today.... you can see i did the new black door handle last week....

full

including squirting the rusty tailgate real quick, just so it would all match....

full

still need to pinstripe it.... also need to get in the ps door for that window motor and black handle install...

over the next few wks, I'll find time to pull those ds wheels off, blast em and paint em argent.. than rotate em to get every last mile out of em...

that brings up the revised running gear plan..... even rotating the tires, I really should look to replace them before next winter... that brought up the big dilemma..

being I'm gonna hold off on the lift, what tire to run... if I trim the front bumper, I could prolly run 35's... BUT, I think the rig would look pretty goofy and disproportionate..

so I'm thinking of going from 32", 75 series, to a 33" in 70 series.. inch bigger in both directions with a Toyo MT.. probably in oct/nov...

mt-right.jpg

and, this happened the other day.. almost took out my new gas tank..... :doah:

full

the other rear mount is about to break off too.... I ordered both upper mounts from Jeff's.. they'll be here during the week..

soooooo, I'm gonna do shocks soon.. but being i still want to lift it down the road, don't wanna get crazy..... gonna look to get some of the cheapest monotubes I can find...

AJMBLAZER

Better to be lucky than good.
Premium Member
Reaction score
NAPA truck shocks used to be pretty good stuff for pretty cheap.

Also, check Rock Auto. Sometimes they blow out older stuff for pretty cheap.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Those small D windows are what I put on my Jimmy. I'd go 17 for futureproofing on tire availability.

that was the big brain question for me... i assumed 17 was the "smarter" choice, but the sidewall lover in me leans toward the 16... I'm sure the 17's still look reasonable in that regard tho if i feel the need when the time comes.... I'll never run bigger than a 17 eva..

oh, on an aside.... tho I've only got about 250 miles on the oil change with stiction eliminator and tanks of treated fuel, I'd swear I'm getting a bit better performance... smoother idle, bit peppier and the turbo feels more responsive... not a ton, but i think it definitely feels improved...

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oreilly used to have a Monroe gas magnum shock that was a good value.
Truthfully, for the use of this rig, I’d be trolling Craigslist for the right wheel and tire setup for this truck.
I’ve bought new tires before, but have yet to buy a new set of wheels. Ever. Too many good deals on stock or modified stuff to warrant new. Even better when your existing setup has some life left, and you have time to search.
Truck is looking good!

JoshHefnerX

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're looking at the type of health things coming that you're talking about you gotta get your finances straight first. Get yourself in order and then get back to this stuff.

I do enjoy watching your build stuff though.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you're looking at the type of health things coming that you're talking about you gotta get your finances straight first. Get yourself in order and then get back to this stuff.

I do enjoy watching your build stuff though.
Right.. I'm in "keep it cheap and only do what's needed" mode.....

On another aside, sad day, took Mutt off insurance today... Won't rereg it till next spring at the earliest... But it's the smart move...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
since i'm figuring I might be waiting a few yrs to do a proper SAS/lift on this rig, I'm thinking about a temp solution to my "saggy" front end, rake....

the back of the rig is exactly 2" higher than the front....

I'm wondering if putting an add-a-leaf up front might be a good go between here to get a bit better stance and help with tire clearance up front... maybe even go for the 35's at that point...

anyone have experience with something like this? or is it hokey?

1.5" would be perfect help to even the rig out.... hopefully it wouldn't mess with steering, etc much at all...

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should be just fine. Everyone and there brother puts a front leveling kit on 99-04 super duty trucks. Most I've seen are like a goofy mini-pack thats basically a zero rate setup.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure trucks are built w/ some rake on purpose for towing purposes. Once you've put a trailier on it the sag levels it out and you're not driving a tugboat w/ bad handling.

yeah, i get that.. just trying to get a tad more clearance in the front really.. and I'm guessing it may have settled a smidge up there with the dizzle too.. I won't be towing with it anyway... nor carrying a ton of weight... shock mounts came in today...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
All those ttb trucks look like they are sagged out in front with shitty camber.

I'm hoping overly religious tire rotation can keep the tire wear pretty even on a new set of Toyo's.. I'm sure the alignment will need a tweak if I throw an add-a-leaf in.. that's one thing I'm gonna look at over the next month, get the front jacked up and inspect tierods, sleeves, bj's, etc... tho it drives fine now, seems tight, no wander..... I greased it all when I first got it...

Last edited:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I gotta say, I started using these guys when i got the 12v for Mutt and continue to be impressed with XDP.. the fact, they are super local and I get things fast and cheap shipping is a big plus...

was shopping around for best overall price on the 1.5" add-a-leaf.. SDspring was like $183 plus $28 shipping... than i looked at summit.. free shipping over $100, just the handling charge... like $200 total.... BUT they weren't going to ship til 6/1 :yikes:

than I noticed on TC's site that XDP was a dealer... $169 + $9 shipping and the tax.. IN STOCK.... ordered...

not sure if I can reuse u-bolts or not, gotta see how thick the leaf is...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a good update on this rig tomorrow... gotta run some early day errands to depot, and my body is pretty shredded, but looking to get a good day in..

probably have a weeks worth of work coming up... parts i have and projects over the next month...

1 - sandblast ds rims and paint...

2 - shock mounts and clean rear frame somewhat... possibly look to install ds rear shackle hangar too...

3 - install shocks...

4 - drop front TTB and do add-a-leaf... prep for alignment..

5 - replace ps door handle and new window motor.. bought the right rivets and a new riveter...

6 - pinstripe DS and paint mirror..

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
got about 4 hrs in today.. happy that i got some blasting done.. always a nuisance gig... ds rims are stripped, primed and painted.. and got the rotted out rear shock mount replaced and that shock in... also got the front end degreased..

the other task i missed on that list is a fluid change on the trans and tc.. have the fluid, just need to get to it... next 2 day weekend i can manage, I'm gonna see about doing the add-a-leaf up front...

Top Bottom