CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Ryoken's 96 Furd twofiddy

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
A/C isn't difficult. Just follow the steps, and fill it on a warmish day to get you in the right pressure ranges.

Chevy305

6 Lug 14bsf Status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I found it helpful when charging to spray a garden hose into the grill to help keep your evap temps down. Also try to keep the bottle warm. Leave it outside in the sun before starting and rest it on the engine when charging to get the most out of it.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
A/C isn't difficult. Just follow the steps, and fill it on a warmish day to get you in the right pressure ranges.

watched a few vids, seems simple enough.. my one real question is would it be hugely beneficial to vac the system? i read moisture is the big enemy... i bought a higher mileage type freon that has the lubes, etc in it..... i see they make a drying agent too.. wonder if it would be beneficial to run a can of that thru first...

I found it helpful when charging to spray a garden hose into the grill to help keep your evap temps down. Also try to keep the bottle warm. Leave it outside in the sun before starting and rest it on the engine when charging to get the most out of it.

i saw one vid where the dude put it in a water bath.. i've been known to do that with propane when shrinking the boats...

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, if you're opening the system up such as when you replace parts, you MUST vacuum the system.

If you're just adding (topping off), you add using the pressures - no vacuum needed.

All I've ever done when topping off is plain 134, sometimes I'll try one that has dye in it so I can see if I can find leaks.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ok, if you're opening the system up such as when you replace parts, you MUST vacuum the system.

If you're just adding (topping off), you add using the pressures - no vacuum needed.

All I've ever done when topping off is plain 134, sometimes I'll try one that has dye in it so I can see if I can find leaks.

cool... I'm definitely looking to fug with it over the 4th weekend if I can for curiosity sakes... throw in the stoopid heat that just came in...... :whistle:

in addition to the whole shackle hangar deal... fingers crossed I get the other side by sat...

if all else fails, I have roof bodywork to get to! :grind: :weld::haha:

KirsL

Diesel maniac
Premium Member
Reaction score
Always replace the dryer whenever you open up an A/C system. A quick pressure test (my dad always used nitrogen as it doesn’t add extra moisture into the system). Run a vacuum pump for a little bit. Then charge it up. Normally liquid for 134, turn the bottle upside down. Now the truck should have a sticker on the core support that says how much to put in. So a scale of some sort is handy here. Put in the correct amount and you’ll be good to go.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
sooo.. I have to confess that I actually have Mutt work to get to at some point.. mount the tank frame for final tank dimensions..

it has taken a backseat to the daily fUrd deal.. for now...

hoping for a big weekend.. basically looking to get all day sun/mon..... and a smidge tomorrow.. got a dog food run to do...

got all the parts... #1... shackle hangars.. I'm actually hoping to do the back brake hose too.. it's a bit hammered, i have it, and it would allow me to drop out the axle further to do the bushings, shackles, etc... long barrel and torch gonna get some time come the 4th.. :weld::saweet: :flipoff3:

I'm looking to do that stuff... get it drivable again... and charge/play with the AC.... excited to spend some time with this fancy folk option....... I have high expectations to get the system cranking... tho I do need to stop by the marina and pick up my Raytek IR....

next week, I'll look to get the tank back in, I have everything for that... or at least, get into the roof work.... heck, if i can spotblast the roof, and MIG the holes up.. with a spot of primer on it monday afternoon? saweet.... that's more about setting up the blaster and welder, than actual work.... come back in next week and roloc em and bodywork em...

expect some sort of documentationary images soon... ;) :haha:

Last edited:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Always replace the dryer whenever you open up an A/C system. A quick pressure test (my dad always used nitrogen as it doesn’t add extra moisture into the system). Run a vacuum pump for a little bit. Then charge it up. Normally liquid for 134, turn the bottle upside down. Now the truck should have a sticker on the core support that says how much to put in. So a scale of some sort is handy here. Put in the correct amount and you’ll be good to go.

funny how I didn't get a notification for the post.. weird how it seems to work 1/2 the time.. ok, cool, thanks... didn't even think to check the sticker.. good thing the old rad support is out back.... I'll look tomorrow.. i do have a pretty good digital scale for the dogfood...

yeah, I'm hoping to just do a static pressure test.. than see what it's pressures are running.. and add to what the chart says for 134... i'm hoping both #'s are just a bit low and need 3/4 of a can thrown at it..

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
full

full

full

full

full

should out live me....

tomorrow I'm gonna reinstall the bumper.. than fart around with the brakeline, fuel lines and AC...

Last edited:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
just as a follow up..... no pic, but it was etch primed...

I'm a physical trainwreck lately, but I plodded thru that in about 5 1/2 hrs... literally the hardest part of any work anymore is getting up off, or down on, the ground... between the knees and shoulder...

made myself go down at 11 and not spend the day shooting aliens in the cranium and healing the battered flesh sockets under conditioned air.......

by far the biggest issue these days is my left shoulder... but other ailments fight for that #1 spot daily, knee, hernia...... take your bets! :woot: it's been pretty good since april/may but weds/thurs I fugged it doing handstands in a bilge while juggling and bleeding..... again......

friggin damn blaster... an hr dorking around for 8 minutes of blasting... #perfectsteelprepOCD

rivet work made me feel right at home like a cheby, so it was all very familiar... ;) new long barrel throws some snot...

didn't bother with the spring bushings.. they where sh*t and gonna be a nightmare to get out.. I'll leave them to be replaced when I do springs/proper lift at some point...

glad to be confident throwing a bunch of weight in the back of this without issue now... was starting to hear some funky noises back there... :whistle: want my dual tanks back tho, sooooooo...

but tomorrow is definitely gonna be some AC recharging and back bumper.......

Last edited:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Them shackles look like some war trophies, should mount them on the wall.

the Salt Wars...

amazing how much better the rig feels with actually having shocks now, fresh meat and that shackle fixed...

here's how the arse-end is looking with the bumper blacked out.....

full

really thinking it could use sumfin out back... possible a 4 X 4 sticker on the back qrter in a red/black combo to help break it up..

my dumbarse aSSumed the AC gauge kit was coming with a tap valve... but I did check pressure.. not overly warm today... didn't bother to check vent temps, ambient..

but low side was running at 25 to 30 lbs, and high side was a consistent 150... which I think should have been in the 45 to 55 range and 200 to 225ish... so, to me, that's a good sign that all it needs is a top off and should be working good...... next weekend..

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
They changed the seals on the 134 a couple of years back, went to a rubber stopper instead of a piercing type. be sure you get the newer style.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
ok, now i'm annoyed..... just wasted $15....

stopped at AZ on the way home to pick up a tap.. eesh, they have 1/2" LH and RH thread ones.. "eh, I don't want to come back, I'll cover myself and buy both"

neither one are right... they are too big compared to the thread the gauge set uses on the hoses...

anyone have any insight about this?

full

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
so it looks like they have adapters... wtf does it got to be complicated for? i don't see any can taps that go right to the 1/4 thread...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
20200622_152844-jpg.344238

full

looking to bang some stuff out this weekend.. tank installed and filled... and maybe try to get the roof blasted and welded...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
tank is in, full and functioning...

full

tomorrow I'm gonna look to blast/bodywork the roof...

summer punchlist is dwindling tho...

paint the roof, maybe hood... get windshield installed.. lights... charge AC... front rotors/pads (in The Lab™).... change trans/t-case oil..... about it... maybe i'll do the dif oil too considering he told me they've NEVER been done and for the immediate future, I'm gonna run em....

oh, maybe finish the pinstriping and do the qrter decals too...

should have a full fall/winter to tear Mutt down and start the insanity.....

Last edited:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
oh, and FTR.... that's kind of the deal here... trying to get this rig nice and solid, by sept... and not touch it for 3, 4 yrs...... till I finish Mutt... :saweet: than I may readdress this rigs suspension and go SAS, 35"s and finish this rig off..... :deal:

I should be back on the K5, in 5 yrs hopefully... 61.... :doah: finish that build at 65... :whistle: and flog it..... :saweet:

while I build a trailer... :doah: :haha::haha::haha:

Self-implode soon after !!!!! :haha:

Last edited:

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Your getting shit done!

I was thinking you were going to be a cripple for a while...don’t forget to take it easy a little bit!? Ok.

Top Bottom