CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, any suggestions on what type/brand/model of transmission cooler would you recommend? I’m currently running the stick radiator cooler, but I wanted to get an external one to better keep my TH400 cool.

Fan/no fan? Finned? Aluminum? I would like to keep it affordable, but quality is always the most important.

thanks team

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I have used ones from Hayden and Flex-a-lite, and installed one from Derale. They all seemed to be good quality.
I used a stacked plate Flex-a-lite one for my '90 and so far it's doing well. I have only had it a short while though.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I have a stacked plate after radiator cooler, normal driving is ok 180 to 200ish 100*F ambient temperature.
Last July, towing a 1800 lb trailer 3000 to 7500 elevation, temp guage showed 240ish in pan. To hot for my liking.
Doing gear change, lower, and derale finned stacked plate with fan.

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a stacked plate after radiator cooler, normal driving is ok 180 to 200ish 100*F ambient temperature.
Last July, towing a 1800 lb trailer 3000 to 7500 elevation, temp guage showed 240ish in pan. To hot for my liking.
Doing gear change, lower, and derale finned stacked plate with fan.
What are you running for gears? And could running the fluid through the radiator as well as the cooler causing the overheating issue?? But on the other hand, would that be good on cold mornings to warm the transmission?

I don’t crawl all that much if at all, I just want this thing to be bullet proof so I never worry about heat. And do you guys recommend any transmission temp gauges? I heard you can run a water temp gauge and it does the same thing?

Greg Ducato

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
By all means run through the radiator cooler, then through the auxiliary cooler then back to the trans. In your original post I saw "stick radiator" and assumed that there was no cooler in the radiator, I guess you meant "stock radiator". Water pulls the heat away better than the air ever could and using these in combination is your best bet.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
By all means run through the radiator cooler, then through the auxiliary cooler then back to the trans. In your original post I saw "stick radiator" and assumed that there was no cooler in the radiator, I guess you meant "stock radiator". Water pulls the heat away better than the air ever could and using these in combination is your best bet.

^This is spot on.

and FWIW I've never had a problem keeping my th400 cool while crawling however lugging up hills has been a challenge.

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well it seems that running both would be a plus and that a good stacked Derale with a fan would be best.

i apologize for the typo Greg

4:88’s with 33’s do you have a 4 speed auto Wes Harden?

now to figure out the best place to put this thing... any ideas? I was thinking on top of my inner fender in the engine compartment, but it would be hotter in there. Or retrofit between the grill and radiator?

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those seem pretty awesome. I was debating on getting the one with the fan or without? I also was thinking of mounting it in front of the radiator instead of remotely somewhere else.

I found a pretty decent looking one on amazon,” Tru-Cool Max transmission cooler P/N LPD4739. This cooler is rated at 40,000 GVW and measures 8.5"x22.75"x1.25". This is a stacked plate.” They look promising, but from what people have been saying the derale seems to be the way to go, like this one
Derale Hyper-Cool Extreme Remote Fluid Coolers with Fan 15870.

Top Bottom