Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why EFI owners don't Program their own PROM's?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by dave w, Sep 12, 2010.

1. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

ADS was for Version 4 and can be imported to version 5 then saved as ADX. Yes they work corectly...

2. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

You are correct, the data stream file for TunerPro V4 is the .ads file type. You are correct, the data stream file for TunerPro V5 is the .adx file type. You are correct, the TunerPro V4 .ads can be imported into TunerPro V5 and then saved as a TunerPro V5 .adx and work correctly.

dave w

3. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

Nevermind, I found it.

4. natemc

natemc Adventure is an Addiction Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thank You to Dave for starting this thread. Eagle and Dave, your knowledge of this stuff is amazing. I thought it would be an easy thing for me to pick up on. Being a heavy diesel mechanic and having a pretty extensive knowledge of the three major electronic engines in on highway trucks. I downloaded TP RT and was overwhelmed. Daves screen shots and everyones banter back and forth has got my dash working. :waytogo:

One step closer to getting the weekend warrior reliable. :thumb:

5. nsxxtreme

nsxxtreme 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I don't usually pay to join forums that are sponsored by ads and vendors. But I think it was inevitable that I would end up in here. I paid for a membership just for the contributors in this forum. CK5 sould send you some snazy gifts as a thank you. I read a few articles and a few of you really sound like you guys know what your doing and are very helpful. That's awesome cause I know how much effort it takes to try to explain things to people.

I have paid someone to do my programming and I dont want to second guess him. I would however like to learn more and know what's going on.

I have the aldl cable and the programer and I downloaded the tunerpro software. Kinda nice cause I can diff two files and see what he change with each update. I'm sure I'll be posting more in the future. Just want to say thanks in advance!!

6. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

Glad to be of help.:smile1:

dave w

7. eagle mark

8. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

9. MT86K5

MT86K5 1/2 ton status

Can one of you tuning guru's look at my first attempt at running WinALDL and let me know what I did wrong? I only get a few rows of data and the dash board feature would not read. I still have a lot to learn but I could use a nudge in the right direction...

Thank You!! :thumb::waytogo::thumb:

Attached Files:

10. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

I have not used WinALDL in years. When TunerPro V5 came out, I lost all interest in WinALDL. Seeing how you can get this far with WinALDL, getting TunerPro RT working to data log is not a huge step from what you already know how to do.:waytogo: The fact thay you got data shows me you have figured out the Com Ports and Device Manager setting, which has been know to kick some peoples butts!:eek1:

dave w

11. MT86K5

MT86K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Dave! I will mess with Tuner pro tonight and try to get it working. It seems that is what most people are using. I'm trying to figure out why it runs so rich when it is in open loop.

I can see how people get addicted to running this software and tuning chips. After I get a good grip on this I would like to start burning chips.

12. MT86K5

MT86K5 1/2 ton status

Ah, I think I got it figured out! For windows vista I followed your screen shots but I was supposed to save the xdf and the bin under tuner pro in my documents. Now I got them loaded on the program and I will give it another try tonight.

Thanks again Dave for your wealth of knowledge!

13. MT86K5

MT86K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm quoting my own post but I figured out what was wrong if someone has the same problem as me in the future. I had to change the baud rate to 4800 (I think that's what it was) it was originally set to 2400. After that, I got loads of data.

I disconnected my battery last night to clear all the codes so the computer is still relearning but I did another data log and I've attached what I came up with. It is still running rich in open loop. Can someone take a look and see if anything jumps out at them? Thanks!

Edit: You'll have to scroll down a little to see where I changed the baud rate.

Attached Files:

14. eagle mark

Where did you find the Baud rate wrong?

What mask ID?

WinALDL is so 2005...

The XDF is for adjusting the bin file. The ADX is for data logging.

15. MT86K5

MT86K5 1/2 ton status

Where did you find the Baud rate wrong? It was under the config tab, it only had 2 choices.

What mask ID?
    What is the mask ID?

WinALDL is so 2005...
    Yea, I know but I'm only on day 3 with the cable and winALDL just worked right away for me. When I get Tunerpro figured out, I'll be using that.

The XDF is for adjusting the bin file. The ADX is for data logging. I'll look more into it, I'm sure I just went wrong somewhere. My brain is literally sore from all the info I've been trying to cram in that little thing but when WinALDL started logging data, I called my wife outside to check it out... And she said (in a mono tone voice) cool.

16. eagle mark

Wives are not as easily amazed as we are and things that do amaze them are dumb to us... :dunno:

Everything you learned will transfer over well to TunerPro. WinALDL you pick ECM number, since some ECMs use several mask it does not work past those few. Mask is the file that reads the chip.

Read 2 of the first three stickys in this forum, the third is a link to EFI dictionary.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?27-TunerPro-Tuning-Talk

17. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

One of the challenges for me, when trying to help out with WinALDL is that I don't own a vehicle that WinALDL will work with.:doah:

I admit the set up / configuration needed for TunerPro RT is more detailed than WinALDL.

I'll be happy to get screen shots posted to help with setting up TunerPro RT.

dave w

18. MT86K5

MT86K5 1/2 ton status

eagle mark, Thank you for the link, that is full of info. I actually signed up over on gear head efi after going over there.

Dave W, your screen shots have already helped a ton. I think I found why I wasn't getting info on tunerpro. I didn't have an .adx file loaded and I think I had the wrong bin. I will have more time tonight and this weekend to play around with it.

You guys are legends with this stuff :bow::bow::bow:

19. eagle mark

We are following in the footsteps of legends! :D

You do not need the bin or XDF to data log. You do not need the ADX to change the bin. Two software programs in one.

20. eagle mark