CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

PLAN B

This build was 2 parts 1 i have a truck I made to pretty to wheel so I'm building an ugly one I can actually enjoy. And 2. My cousin has been trying to join us for blazer bash but his truck wont be ready so we are surprising him with this one

the_blaze

Nightmare / Plan B
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Random thought/question....
I'm running the ORD 2.5" shackle flip on my blazer, I need new springs and I was going to get ord custom springs. I was thinking of swapping brackets sides to gain the extra 2" of length so I'd be running a 54" spring vs 52". Think I would gain anything from the extra 2" ? Would it be worth the work? Because of my rear bumper setup I can't push the brackets back any further to get 56" springs.

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Flipping my 4” lift brackets allow for 56s. Maybe same for you? If you let the MAW bug get you, swap the brackets, order the springs with an offset pin to push the axle back further. I didn’t even notice any downside when I flipped my 56s around. (Flipping moves axle back 4”) Moving the axle back only helps :) problem becomes DS length and shock location.

ps> I’m at 111” wheelbase :D

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Random thought/question....
I'm running the ORD 2.5" shackle flip on my blazer, I need new springs and I was going to get ord custom springs. I was thinking of swapping brackets sides to gain the extra 2" of length so I'd be running a 54" spring vs 52". Think I would gain anything from the extra 2" ? Would it be worth the work? Because of my rear bumper setup I can't push the brackets back any further to get 56" springs.
Being that you wheel the crap out of that thing, if going with new ord springs I would switch from the shackle flip to their new stock style boomerang shackle setup. Give you way more droop.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Like K85 Octane mentioned, usually flipping the brackets is done to step up to 56" springs. I did that in my old K5. Everyone I know that did it was happy with the swap. You will likely need a 6" shackle if you don't already have one.

the_blaze

Nightmare / Plan B
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yeah I spoke with ORD and they told me flipping the 2.5" brackets will only push it back 2" and if I want to keep my shackle angle correct I should only do a 54" spring. I don't want to totally redo my rear setup but the new style shackle does spark some interest. I currently have my axle back 1.5" from stock and I may push it to 2 or 2.5" back.
My factory springs are toast and my anti-wrap bar needs to be redone so I want New springs on before I setup the new bar.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I think that's why I needed the 6" shackle. The 4" is too short and just laid flat; probably for the reason ORD mentioned. This is what the 2 shackles looked like.

Rear 56in Susp (5).JPG

Rear 56in Susp (8).JPG

That is not the ideal or technically correct shackle angle, but it worked okay for me.

nvrenuf

I grind my welds.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've got an ORD 2.5" flip and they worked perfect with 56" springs in the stock frame position (swapped sides) using 6" shackles.

Not a great pic but you get the idea.

full

the_blaze

Nightmare / Plan B
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So if I wanted to reuse as much as possible from what I already have, HD shackles and shackle flip, does anyone think a 54" spring would gain me anything over 52s? ORD said even stock length custom springs would be a huge difference. He was on the fence but kept telling me I could make them however I wanted.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
If the cost is nearly the same, I'd do 54" springs just for the unique factor. If you're getting custom springs, get CUSTOM springs. :D

Top Bottom